News:

• May 14, 2024, 02:58:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjustable leadouts.  (Read 6755 times)

Offline Damian Paten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Adjustable leadouts.
« on: July 08, 2014, 12:47:29 AM »
Greetings ladies and gentlemen.  H^^

I am in the process of building some adjustable lead outs for my scratch build UHP G nobler. I would like to build a ribbed wing tip and sheet it rather than a big balsa block shaped and hollowed out. 
Firstly, is the series of approx 6 holes with thimble adjusters ok?
I'm sure given the reputation of the Moon brothers that it would be but do they use this design?
This would allow for individual lead out adjustments but it doesn't allow for "precise" line adjustments. Am I being to pedantic? 

Now, I have been searching the net for designs for the "slide" adjusters and I have a good idea of what to construct, although if you want to post pics of some of your own designs I wont complain ;D.
What I have found is that a lot of folks tend to have the lead outs in one slide block so that the adjustment effects both lead out wires.
What happened to individual adjusters? When I built my TF G nobler back in 89 it had the individual nylon adjustable sliders. So I was going to replicate this design with ply instead. 
I suppose I am after some advise here on which way to go. My usual advise man has just had a knee reconstruction and I don't want to annoy him (get well soon Noel  (PE**)).
I am leaning towards individual lead out adjusters but the consensus seems to be one sliding block housing both lead outs.
OR
tell me to stop wasting time and use the design on the plan because that's the best design.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Adjustable leadouts.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:04:34 AM »
The downside is added inboard tip weight that needs to be counterbalanced with outboard tip weight.  Double trouble.  I feel that if you build a common plane like a Nobler or Ringmaster you can get by with fixed leadouts positioned like those that work.

Lew McFarland was an early advocate of adjustable with his Shark 45.  The,Shark was bigger and entirely different from the usual design and a good subject for adjustable leadouts.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:11:42 AM »
I use the slider, which is easily constructed and not all that heavy.  I don't feel like I could do the individual holes neat enough to work.  I have always used both leadouts on one slider, spaced as close as I can get them.  On 1/2A stunt airplane I use a one hole slider, as even a 1/2 inch separation on that size airplane will cause noticeable yaw when control is given one way or the other.  I have found that moving the slider 1/8 inch makes a difference in how 40 size airplanes fly. 

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:51:20 AM »
What Jim said, every word.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Damian Paten

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 05:38:45 PM »
Well I'll go with the slider and have both holes in the one block.
Thanks very much for the advise. Muchly appreciated.

Hey Jim, just as a matter of interest how far apart do you think I should space the holes?

Regards
Damian.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 06:55:47 PM »
I'd make your first one about 3/4 inch.  You have to think about the leadouts, line clips, etc, not getting tangled. 

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 07:33:58 PM »

I am with Jim, I use 3/4" seperation on all my models and so far this works well.
  Keep us posted on your success...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 07:11:46 AM »
On small models, like 1/2A's, having the lines too close together creates a sharp bend and a lot of sawing at the leadout guide.  I think the spacing needs to be pretty close to the natural line the leadouts want to take.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 09:48:51 AM »
I've been flying 1/2A through 09 airplanes with a hand made 4 inch wooden bellcrank.  Yes it is a trick to get one in a 6 in chord wing.  I haven't noticed any sawing problems.  On my regular sliders I use the yellow inner tube, a short piece, from a Golden Rod.  I haven't seen any wear on either the yellow tube or the leadouts.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »
Setting the natural line that the leadouts want to take pretty much means that you need leadouts that are spaced to match the bellcrank width.  That's just too much.  There WILL be a bend at the leadouts.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »
Hi Damian:

First off, no matter what anyone tells you, adjustable leadouts are a must if you want to be able to fine trim your model. Yes, there have been many successful models built without adjustable leadouts, but there have also been a ton of models built without them that flew terribly. I cringe when I think about how many potentially fine flying models have been scrapped just because the leadouts (and other items on the model) were not made to be adjustable.

I have tried most of the popular methods for making the leadouts adjustable, but have settled on the method that I learned from Bill Werwage that uses 1/8-inch diamter holes drilled nominally 1/4 inch apart in a piece of basswood. The holes are connected by a slot that is made with a jig saw and then a piece of Permagrit to allow the leadouts to move when the Delrin line guide pieces are pulled out of the 1/8 inch holes.

That may seem hard to understand with just verbiage to guide the way. I'm attaching 10 photos to this response and 10 more to the next few to allow you to see how I make these adjustable leadout units for my planes. Here goes...

Later Bob Hunt

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:11:49 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
Next 10 photos...

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 02:08:13 PM »
Last 10...

Offline Damian Paten

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 02:23:26 AM »
Wow Bob your work is superb.
It makes sense when you see the pictures. This is the design that is on the plan.
So many options and I now like the idea of a solid tip.
Thanks very much for posting up the pics.

One thing I was worried about when making the slide setup where the lines come out of the same block was that I have to adjust both lines at once and to have a 1/2inch space on a 4inch bellcrank meant that the lines would be "sawing" the lead out guide somewhat. Keeping them separate means fine tuning individual lines and not as much "sawing" at the lead out guides as I could space them further apart. 

I guess it's down to trial and error.
It's been a while between flights for me but I am slowley learning the building side of things again.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 09:02:55 AM »
Thanks Bob, that is a very clear explaination of why I do not try to build that kind of lead out.  H^^ I'm kind of slowed down at the moment.  When I get more up to speed, I will try to post photos of how I do it.  It may take as many as three photos. D>K

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 12:20:48 PM »
Thanks Bob, that is a very clear explaination of why I do not try to build that kind of lead out.  H^^ I'm kind of slowed down at the moment.  When I get more up to speed, I will try to post photos of how I do it.  It may take as many as three photos. D>K

Jim,

Not sure how you do yours, but I reinvented the wheel.

The Dragonfly. Named it this as a joke, but the design concept is no joke.

Bob's, and we all have seen similar ones before, has 12 areas of adjustment, mine has an "unlimited" range of adjustment.  

I once had a modeler, he will remain nameless, who told me the thickness of a dollar bill cured the running of his engine.

So, why settle for only 12 adjustment areas? Even a slider has limited adjustment of such.

Sure, my Dragonfly is rough, all prototypes generally are, but improvments can be made.

Improvments like, separate screws for each line. 6/32 thread instead of 1/4 20. Only aluminum bolt I had. Smaller line holding device and lighter brass tubing. Lighten.

What you see weighs only .6 of an ounce.

It's a  beginning.

Has possibilities but will most likely be simply brushed off.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »
That is an interesting idea.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
Waaaaay too heavy for my taste... S?P

Bob Hunt

Rick_Huff

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »
Bob,
How do keep the delrin inserts from pulling out in-flight?
Rick

Offline Damian Paten

• Ensign
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 04:45:04 AM »
Well I finished my adjustable lead outs.
Went with the slide design. Individual guides.

Maybe a little "heavy" for some but I don't mind, it's what I wanted.
Measures just over half inch at its closest point and nearly 2 inches opened up. Should do the job.

Thank you everyone for your tips etc.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 07:50:04 AM »
cool lead outs! here's mine. both holes on one block. not as cool as Bob's! i just order the set from RSM.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »
Waaaaay too heavy for my taste... S?P

There's no reason you couldn't take the basic idea and lighten it, by using a main adjusting screw out of 2-56 aluminum, or nylon, or something.

I don't know if it's all that much better than regular sliders, or plug-ins, though.
AMA 64232

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 02:18:06 PM »
There's no reason you couldn't take the basic idea and lighten it, by using a main adjusting screw out of 2-56 aluminum, or nylon, or something.

I don't know if it's all that much better than regular sliders, or plug-ins, though.

Tim,

Thanks for the reply and thanks for uplifting my efforts.

You're correct. I only had 1/4 20, and those dumb Dave Brown pushrods parts are all overkill and heavy stuff.

I may attempt to dial down the screw size and find other tube materials, like straws possibly, for the other parts on an upcoming model.

Also, I belive the idea of having both lines adjustible is a good one.

With this setup using two aluminum screws, one for each line, it could easily be possible. Could place both screws at the same level and run the lines either over or under the screw.

Or, place one screw above the other and run one line above the bottom screw and the other below the top screw. I'll provide a drawing for anyone interested.

Obviously, a screwdriver used in rotating the screw is the adjustment method. The adjustment is fine and unlimited. Eight of a turn if needed or whatever?

I actually have this setup on The ARGO and the Mig-3. Just about .6 oz. See above photos.

Thanks again for the reply.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »
I had to do this one because of the shape of the tip. May work, may not.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 05:41:05 AM »
I designed this screw type leadout, the dragonfly,  LL~ only for the unlimited adjustments that it offers, not because of the wingtip shape.

About sliders.

They don’t have to be straight.

They can take on a radius that resembles the shape of the wing tip or just a simple arch.

As long as both pieces have the same arch or close, the fixed wood that the adjuster follows AND the adjuster will “seat” and will also work fine.

Note. The adjuster could be straight, but that would require having a vertical pin at each end of the adjuster. The adjuster would have to ride in an upper and lower track or groove. Not complicated and this can be accomplished, but more difficult to make and describe. Seen blue in the “simple” drawing.

The issue is the exit or line tubes. They won’t be pointing towards the bell crank if moved in either direction because of the arch. See single arrow pointing to pivot where the leadout tube is attached.

This issue can easily be solved by how the exit tubes are constructed. They will have to have a shorter vertical piece of tubing soldered to the primary horizontal pieces, allowing for them to free pivot. Simple actually.

Now, when assembled, doesn’t matter where the slider is placed, the exit tubes will pivot with line tension.

Quick drawing, but you can get the idea. Well, almost.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here