News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:32:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjustable Leadouts  (Read 1567 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Adjustable Leadouts
« on: June 17, 2023, 05:10:37 PM »
Does it make a difference in flight of having the adjustable leadouts on the tip of the wing (with slot and brass eyelets) versus the slider type located on the first inboard wing rib?

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Adjustable Leadouts
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 06:06:25 PM »
In my limited experience, the only thing I noticed, is be sure to keep the adjustment screw TIGHT.   LL~ Other wise no difference.   H^^
Ty Marcucci

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 07:21:44 PM »
As far as I can tell it makes zero difference.  You do want to make sure that the cutout is kept smooth so that the leadouts don't rub on anything.  I build mine into the tip frame and they are recesses about 3/4" into the wing and about 3/16 wide.  I use teflon tape on the top and bottom of the slot through the tip.

Ken

PS.  One reason I do not use the insert tube type is rubbing.  My guides are about 1/8" thick and rounded on both sides.  The tubing kind will bind some when you have a lot of line rake.  Not much, but they do rub.  I have had them fray a leadout wire.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 07:49:28 PM »
I'm probably pushing things with this installation. I installed it on the second rib because the last rib was undefined as I had yet to decide how the tip would be shaped. As long as the plane doesn't do much hinging it will likely be ok. I may have to open up the slot more, though....

(Ok, I'm having trouble getting it turned right side up....)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2023, 09:37:49 PM »
I'm probably pushing things with this installation. I installed it on the second rib because the last rib was undefined as I had yet to decide how the tip would be shaped. As long as the plane doesn't do much hinging it will likely be ok. I may have to open up the slot more, though....

Well, it looks like you have the tip shape finished, I would just go ahead and install it on the last rib and be done.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 09:56:02 PM »

Hinging won't be much different no matter where it ends up.  It is still going to rub on the exit slot.  I think I would move it out as far as it can go.  Anchored at the front and back is enough if you reinforce the joints.  I did one back that far once and although it worked, changing the setting accurately that far into the wing is not fun.  Like the markings.  I've been doing it that way for years.  If it is not too late, glue a piece of white paper on the outside of the guide and put the marks on it.  You can see it better inside the wing!

Ken

PS - You can't see it in the photo but the grommets are flared and smoothed on *both* sides.  Most come with a lip turned inward.  You have to use a tapered punch or grommet punch to reverse the flare or your lines will be subhject to unnecessary rubbing at the edges.  I put the mfg side out where the most bending of the lines will occurr and add a small flat washer to the back and a punch to flare the backside.  Cover that with Epoxy.  Never had another frayed leadout wire.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 07:57:30 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2023, 09:58:08 PM »
Thanks guys. The type of adjustable leadouts I am wanting to use are the Bill Werwage ibeam type. I will be using solid leadouts so i should be ok from fraying and binding, as long as i get the holes in the wing tip drilled relatively close to the angle of the leadouts. 

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 12:24:35 AM »
This is an alternative that was first proposed by Tom Morris, if I remember correctly.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2023, 12:15:14 PM »
Thanks guys. The type of adjustable leadouts I am wanting to use are the Bill Werwage ibeam type. I will be using solid leadouts so i should be ok from fraying and binding, as long as i get the holes in the wing tip drilled relatively close to the angle of the leadouts. 
it isn't going to matter much whether or not the holes are straight.  the angle of the lines to the leadout guide inside the wing is going to be opposite of the angle formed by the line rake.  Your only way of minimizing rubbing is to have the eyelet as thin as possible and as round as possible.  You can't do that with insert guides. If you are going to use solids then make sure that the actual guide tube is as short as possible.  The wire will bow inside the tube and bind if it is too long.  A lot of us, including me, used solid leadouts in the 60's.

Ken
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 12:54:05 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2023, 03:23:38 PM »
Thanks for the info Ken. I will shorten the eyelets. I did take the time to draw a line from the bellcrank arm leadout hole to the brass eyelet with a long straight edge for each location and angle, but that was only with the bellcrank in neutral, and i get what you are saying. A couple more 'gates' and it will be done. The lower leadout holes are the stock location, and the 2 above them are the extra ones i added. I figured with a heavier engine, i would need to move the leadouts forward.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 03:35:40 PM »
Side view. Almost done. Actually getting the leadout holes in the guide parallel to every leadout position was the reason I abandon the maple block. The holes are not all 90 degrees and i dont have a drill press to accurately drill the holes where they needed to be.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2023, 08:08:45 PM »
You may regret using solid lead outs.  Once one gets bent or both it is hard to get them straight again. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2023, 12:28:31 AM »
Some run em up & down . AS in two slots with holes , So one can be over the other . I think it steadys them flying when its blowing , as its got a ' pre load ' under control deflection .

Done them to bank it coned , and a other to kick it flat ( parralell cylinder ish ) .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here