News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:52:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Acetone, MEK, or Xylene ????  (Read 22642 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Acetone, MEK, or Xylene ????
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:41:11 PM »
I've been using acetone for general cleanup of painting operations.  I was thinking of getting something stronger for some things that acetone doesn't get.

I looked at the containers at Home Depot.  The descriptions and istructions were almost the same, except that Acetone has a faster evaporation rate.

Back in my GM days, we used many gallons of xylene to flush out paint pipie systems when changing from one colour to another.  I've also heard on xylene as an addative to funny fuel in CL events with limited fuel capacity.

MEK, methyl ethyl ketone was the ingredient in "airplane glue" that gave it a bad name with the narcs.  You can't buy it the hobby shop, but it's still $14.95 a gallon at Home Depot.

Anyway, does anybody have any knowledge about the merits of all three as a paint, glue, and dope remover?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 04:08:56 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Acetone, MEK, or Xylene ????
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 02:35:59 PM »
  Xylene is VERY good for cleaning up spray equipment after using Epoxy paint.  Much better than Acetone (in My opinion) and is slightly more safe than MEK, but more expensive than either MEK or acetone.  Smells really really bad though.
 Yes it is a good fuel additive that I have used in some of the racing events.  No, I will not devulge the formula nor percentages.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 04:11:59 PM »
Thanks, I'll give the Xylene a try. 

It's all $15 a gallon +/- a buck at Home Depot.

The actone just wasn't "getting it done" on some cleanup jobs.  When I was working at Fisher Body, they used up Xylene at the rate of truckloads of 55-gallon drum.
Paul Smith

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 07:36:01 AM »
Acetone/MEK and xylene are different types of solvents.  Acetone works best on laquers such as dope.  Xylene is more of a hydrocarbon solvent and would work better on stuff like alkyd enamels/epoxyies and maybe two part urethanes(that haven't set up).

Your best bet though, if you using anything other than dope, is to get a cleaning solvent from the paint supplier.  From what I've seen they don't charge much more than Home Depot and the stuff has multiple solvents in it to handle a wide range of paints.
phil Cartier

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 07:50:23 AM »
I get lacquer thinner by the gallon at Wally World for around $8.  It is in the automotive paints section.  So far it has been outstanding for gun cleaning, and cleaning my brushes.  Can't remember the brand, but it is "Primer Grade" in a green can with some checkered flags on it.

I use acetone to clean CA applicators by putting them in an old Aero Gloss 4 oz. bottle with the lid tight.  Next day those tips are like new!

I don't use much MEK anymore, but still have a gallon around.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 08:41:25 PM »
This is different way of thinking to me. I have always liked MEK it's like a hot lacquer thinner. Of coarse I have always liked Carbon Tetrachloride too B@B
AMA 12366

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here