News:

• May 13, 2024, 10:04:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Acetate, ABS, Fuel and Glue  (Read 877 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Acetate, ABS, Fuel and Glue
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:36:34 AM »
Acetate window material seems to be fuel proof (or at least clear bubble-pack does, and I think it's the same stuff).  And if I recall correctly, ABS plastic seems to be, too.  (Ping-pong balls, unfortunately, aren't, as I discovered this weekend after whacking up a 1/2-A plane to use one as a fuel balloon holder).

Does anyone know what glues work well at sticking acetate to acetate, and acetate to wood, without getting unstuck because of the presence of nitro fuel?  Will epoxy do it if I rough up the plastic?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Acetate, ABS, Fuel and Glue
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 01:05:41 PM »
Acetate window material seems to be fuel proof (or at least clear bubble-pack does, and I think it's the same stuff).  And if I recall correctly, ABS plastic seems to be, too.  (Ping-pong balls, unfortunately, aren't, as I discovered this weekend after whacking up a 1/2-A plane to use one as a fuel balloon holder).

Does anyone know what glues work well at sticking acetate to acetate, and acetate to wood, without getting unstuck because of the presence of nitro fuel?  Will epoxy do it if I rough up the plastic?

Canopy glue such as RC56  will work, it will stand up to hot fuel, and fuel for a while, you may want to coat the canopy glue with epoxy after it has dried

Randy

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 05:35:42 PM »
I looked into ABS for fuel tanks.  It appears to be soluble in nitro.  Let me know if you find out otherwise.  I have the technology to make really cool ABS tanks. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
If it'll work on clear acetate, try that.

When I tested my ping-pong ball it was in a bit of clear bubble-pack; the bubble-pack wasn't marked while the ping-pong ball was well on the way to being dissolved.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 09:11:58 PM »
Or if you rough it up and clean it well, YOu could use the slower JB Weld, I have several CF tanks that are put together with similar epoxy and they last several years. The fuel take a long time to soften the filled epoxy. I have tried high temp epoxy with ceramic powder filler and that also stands up well to fuel in raw state.

Randy

Offline Robert-Jan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »
If it is not too thin you can try welding it.
I did this with my ABS wind shield on my motor bike.

Greetings Robert-Jan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here