News:

• May 02, 2024, 05:24:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ace Bandages  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Ace Bandages
« on: August 17, 2006, 06:26:35 PM »
I have been using Ace bandages to wrap wet balsa around molds to make turtle decks. I wet the balsa and when flexible enough I form the wood around the mold and hold it in place with the Ace Bandage. The Ace bandages I have been using worked OK but if I dropped the roll while I was wrapping the wood the roll got to the floor and was loose and hard to finish wrapping. I needed more of them so I got three more. There is a nice improvement to them. They have made them so they act sort of like velcrow. They don't unwrap unless you pull them open - all the length works like that. It in nice to be able to drop the roll and get another hold without having the entire length on the floor.
There is no clips to lose and if there is more material left after the item is wrapped I just leave the roll hanging because the material holds to itself all along it's length.
When I wet the wood I put it in the unused tub and hold it under water for a day. I don't use any amonia just water and it works. 1/16" can be rolled almost to cigar diameter if you are careful.
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Ace Bandages
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 07:55:44 PM »
Isn't soaking for a day over kill? I spray 1/8" bulsa both sides twice and in a couple of minutes it's ready to form. I also use the ace bandages, there great. Is there any advantage to soaking so long?
Leester
ama 830538

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 07:58:03 PM »
How I mold is Soak in bath tub, scalding hot water no ammonia! For about 10 minutes. Works fine.
AMA 12366

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 08:33:41 PM »
Well soaking for a day is probably too long but I am doing a bunch of it right now for kits so when I put balsa on the molds I then put more in the tub so it is ready. Wood may bend easily after a few minutes of being wet but if allowed to soak through it seems to make a smoother bend for me. That may be just my imagination but if it works then why change? I can't put on more wood for a day anyway because I let it dry that long.
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 04:58:17 PM »
Under normal circumstances you are probably right however my shop is equipped  with an air conditioner full time and a dehumidifier that keeps the humidity down to 40 to 45 %. That seems to work fine with a day of drying. If I find that that level does not work I can lower the humidity level even more.
In the last few weeks I have molded 62 of the 96 sheets needed for the Playboy kits. I have used the new Ace bandages for this and I like them better than the older ones.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 07:14:23 PM by Bill Sawyer »
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here