News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:10:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ABS Plastic – Gluing & Painting  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
ABS Plastic – Gluing & Painting
« on: October 14, 2006, 07:31:45 PM »
ABS Plastics – such as the cowl and wheel pants in some Sig kits – How do you glue & paint them?  Are they durable?

Looking for user’s experiences – TIA!

Dennis
 <=
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: ABS Plastic – Gluing & Painting
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 03:53:09 PM »
Normally they give instructions, but as far as glueing, you take a strip of scrap or most of the time a pcs is provided and put it half way on one side with the other half sticking out. Run thinner down the edge and it will bond, then match up the other half pcs on the scrap and do the same. As far as painting you'll want to ruff up the surface with 800 or so sand paper, clean off and spray. Bondo or some other filler may be used to smooth joints. I haven't used them in a while but this is what I remember.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 04:38:33 AM »
This is kind of a "testing" question, and here's a 35-year-old answer, from when the stuff started appearing in R/C ARFs in the early '70s. There are two solutions that I remember. For completely hidden joints, use some lightweight fiberglas cloth (1 - 2 oz per yard) cut into a strip thats about 30% as wide as the joint is long (i.e., for a 3" joint, use a 1" wide strip the correct length), and use Oates Plastic Pipe Glue. This stuff is black, and virtually unpaintable - that's why it's for hidden joints, but it is fuelproof.

For anything that's going to be visible, try a reinforcing strip of ABS on the inside with the whole thing stuck together with Methylene Chloride, the same stuff used for styrene or Acrylic plastic. sand the joint with 220 to provide a bit of "tooth" and prime with your favorite secre3t blend. Brodak's Primer should work, but I haven't tested that.

I think I remember that MEK works also, but Acetone evaporates too fast to bond properly. ABS is tough!

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Harry Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 05:30:18 PM »
ABS is actually two plastics (resins) and a rubber blended together - Acrylic (Plexiglas/perspex), for higher temperature, Butadiene rubber (for toughness), and polyStyrene ('cos it's cheap) and the previous two are compatible with it.

Plastic model kit cement is fine (plastic kits are HIPS - ABS without the "A"!). Cyanoacrylate adhesives will also work well. (In my business, for one job, we glue ABS hollow ball halves together and they are good for 200 bar pressure!)

Cellulose based paints (e.g. Dope!) will attack it severely - use enamels - the stuff sold for painting plastic kits. (white spirit based). Not sure, but I guess what in the USA is " Rustoleum" is a spirit-based paint.

You can get primers with which to cover ABS - then you can use cellulose based paints on top for colour matching...

Cheers

Harry

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 11:19:16 PM »
Well, so much for a quick, easy answer!    <=

It would seem these parts were a poor choice to put in kits marketed to kids.  And I'm still just a kid!

Dennis
 y1
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Tom Dugan

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 03:35:42 PM »
Try Sig Plastinamel.  It will work, Ive used it on the type Sig parts you mention.    But as always make a test.  The problem with plastinamel is its kind of limited colors.

Thomas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here