News:

• May 13, 2024, 06:37:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A slooooooww build of a semi-scale Pawnee  (Read 17284 times)

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: A slooooooww build of a semi-scale Pawnee
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »
Ty, there's a SBC4 Helldiver somewhere in my future.  Love those Bipes, but couldn't afford the 'Cat when I started spraying!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2012, 06:38:36 PM »
Okay, I admit it, Derek has shamed me into starting on the Pawnee again. b1
When I flew my Crosswind two the first time, I scared the bejeebers out of myself as well as those watching.  When I flipped it inverted the first time the outboard wing was up a good foot!!! ~^  I climbed high and tucked it under, flew out the tank, (I always short tank on the first few flights for trim issues) and tried to tweek the flaps.  No-go, the purchasd horn was simply too hard!

I had gotten lazy and decided to not build my own horns for that ship.  Never again.  I use drill rod for my horns, it's much more "tweekable" than music wire.  Never had a failure in over twenty years of doing that.

I brought the ship home and measured, sighted, measured again, and failed to find the reason for the abnormality!  Well, maybe it wasn't REALLY a foot high, but it looked like it to a scared pilot.

I knew there was no answer but to work on the flaps, and the thing was way too much to solve with a wing wart.  I tried this solution in the pictures and it worked.  Now, before you tell me that much misalignment can't be solved, may I share with you the several 500+ scores I've received with this airplane after getting it trimmed.  It flies great now.

I cut the end of the outboard flap off, made a ply box like you see in the pictures and installed it.  I started adjusting it and ended up with an airplane that both Allen Goff and Pete Bergstrom have flown and liked.  'Nuff said.

The first picture shows the interior design and the second shows the unit on the flap horn.  I left the screws way too long so you can see how they are installed.  Once the ship is trimmed, I'll cut them down to a much smaller extension.

Yes, it looks ugly, but I don't care, it's adjustable!  I am making these flaps so narrow in chord that I don't want to risk tweeking, so am putting this in right at the start.  No one has mentioned the unit on my Crosswind, so it must not look all that huge and gross.  (Or maybe stunt fliers are just too kind to mention it?)

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2012, 06:05:18 PM »
Here is my kind of Pawnee. Duster built by Dave Merithew 25 years ago and never finished. I finished it and gave it the Pawnee look.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 09:08:09 AM »
Thought I fell off the earth, didn't ya?  well, the guitar builds are caught up, the new laundry room is about finished, there's only three repairs in the shop and I'm getting the winter building season for stunt fever again!
Here's the flaps ready for covering, and may I say I really like the new method of construction I'm trying.  These weigh in at 42 ounces ready to cover and were a breeze to build straight and stiff!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »
Thought I fell off the earth, didn't ya?  well, the guitar builds are caught up, the new laundry room is about finished, there's only three repairs in the shop and I'm getting the winter building season for stunt fever again!
Here's the flaps ready for covering, and may I say I really like the new method of construction I'm trying.  These weigh in at 42 ounces ready to cover and were a breeze to build straight and stiff!

Will,

Looks similar to the construction of the rudder on the Corsair I'm working on? Or were working on.

Was that build an influence?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 01:57:34 PM »
Charles,  No, can't say it was.  I don't remember seeing your build on the rudder.  I'm just always looking for new, lighter, straighter and stiffer ways to do things.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »
WOW!  I reread my post above and see I listed the new flaps at 42 OUNCES!! ~^ ~^ ~^
Please , , , make that 42 GRAMS.  42 GRAMS . . .42 GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMS!!! HB~> HB~> HB~> %^@ %^@

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 03:31:39 PM »
With my building prowess, 42 ounces sound great. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2012, 04:20:54 PM »
Hey, when I said slooooooooooooow build, I knew what I was in for.  But . . . I'm finally getting more time to jump back,  err, make that slide back into it.
Here's a shot of mounting the fuse to the wing.  You can't see it in the picture, but the instrument on the engine mount shows a 1 degree down thrust.  I started using that way back when the discussion was first posted here and Crist Rigotti helped me overcome hunting in level flight with his suggestion.  I've used that on two ships now, and really like the results.

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2012, 09:39:18 AM »
Great job Will! Truly one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen and I'm sure it sounds like it looks.  I don't think I have enough days left on earth to develop the craftsmanship that you have, but I do aspire to continue the quest!  I also want to learn to fly my Hellcat inverted and then learn the pattern and build a Nobler, Oriental, Smoothie,...............

Steve Thornton
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2012, 05:49:50 PM »
Thanks Steve.  It looks like your future build list is as long as mine, and probably everyone elses'.  When I get to thinking about all those neat ships I wanna build, it almost wears me down.
Hey, I'll bet your skills are better than you think, we're always our own harshest critics aren't we?

All the assemblies are joined now, should complete the hinging of the elevators tomorrow and then plank the bottom.  Even though I'm using open construction on the fuse where the full scale was open, I'm planking the bottom for stiffness.  More later.

Offline Brad Smith

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »
the instrument on the engine mount what is it and where did you get it?
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »
well, at last the hold up to my Pawnee build is ready for delivery so I can get on with the stunter.
here's a picture or two of the hold up project.
The top is a master grade sitka spruce and the back and sides are koa.  Ended up with a great deep, rich tone and plenty of projection.  I'm pleased and think my customer will be happy with it.  (More pictures in the next post.)

I'd love to have one of these! ;D and the Pawnee looks great Will!

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2012, 08:17:29 PM »
Hey John, great to hear from ya buddy, I miss you.  All it takes to own one of those is lotsa money!  Thanks on the Pawnee, I hope to use it next season for the stunt wars around here, but I thought that two winters ago when I started it, too!

Brad, the instrument is made by Dasco Inc. of Rockford Il. and is called the Dasco Pro angle finder and level.  I've had it a really long time, but you can probably google them to see if it's still available.  I really like it because it is very sensitive and has a very fine scale.  Didn't cost all that much and can be modified easily to bolt onto the crankshaft, which I have done at times, but I like the fitting I made to use it like in these pictures better.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »
Here's the bare bones except for the control surfaces.  This is a big fuse and I'm really pleased with the semi-scale look so far!  Next step is molding my CF landing gear and cowling.  After that, I guess i gotta cover up these bones, these bones, these bare bones.

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »
Really looks great Will. Can't wait to see it finished and flying.
Love those semi scale stunters.

Larry

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2012, 07:48:08 AM »
Thanks Larry!  There are sooooooo many semi-scales I want to do that I don't know where to start!
I think next up for me will be the SBC-3 or 4 Helldiver biplane from the Navy's colorful years just before WW II.
They had some of the most colorful schemes of the day.  I built the Berkely SBC-3 kit, but never flew it!  I intend to make up for that someday.  (Maybe.)
Jeff Traxler has my F9F Panther to convert to electric, I can hardly wait to see him fly it.  I had it fairly well trimmed, but couldn't get enough line tension out of it for my scrawny little wrist to effectively square the beast.  So why have it gathering dust when someone else can use it?  Right?
So what are you going to build this winter?

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2012, 08:14:40 AM »
Will, your plane looks great!  Cant wait to see it finished.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2012, 05:40:57 PM »
Thanks Doug!  How's the Texas contingent doing these days?

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2012, 06:54:10 PM »
the instrument on the engine mount what is it and where did you get it?

Those anglefinders can be found at most good tool supply stores, with many different brand names on them. Mine says Starrett, so it's more gotta be more accurate than most!  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2012, 11:19:03 PM »
Hi Will,
 You have a lot more patience than me when it comes to building biplanes. They look great, but I have difficulty building one wing, let alone two, for one plane. Plus the alignment. I do think they are very interesting though.
 I have an SV-11 on the board that I promised a friend I would build next. Also a profile that I have been working on for wayyyy to long. Next up will be a semi scale.
 You would think that being retired one would have more time for models, but for some reason it does not seem to work out that way. I now know what retired people meant when they would say they wondered how they ever had time me to go to work. Man do things ever pop up to do..........unbelievable.
 I remember your first flights with the Panther at Muncie. Very exciting.........
 Hope you get the Pawnee done for next summer. Now if you could get it to actually spray, that would be really cool... y1 y1 y1

Larry

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »
Hang on where it refers to that "time" thing!  It only gets worse!  I thought I was in the clear for a bit with the guitar shop, but now I have an apprentice starting a build here.  (And another repair/setup just came in.)  Sheesh.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »
Had a bit of a time reprieve.  so...have the cowl buck tacked in place and ready for final sanding before detaching and molding.  Now I'm trying to decide whether to go with carbon fiber or fiberglass with CF reinforcement bands.
I'll probably go with the latter.
I also have the CF landing gear molded and ready for sanding to final shape/finish.  I used a foam mold, planning on a one-off, but with the Saran wrap release agent it's good to go for any more I need to do.  Thing is, where in the world would I need another 4" wide at the fuse' landing gear?!

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2012, 09:16:35 AM »
Looks great Will. I can't wait to see it finished.

Larry

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »
Will:

I am intrigued by your landing gear. Why did you step it down in the portions between the fuse and the wheels? I don't have the greatest amount of experience at fabricating carbon fiber landing gear, but it appears somewhat spindly in that area. I made such a gear for my Super Solution, but it was 1/4" thick and solid all the way through the fuse and down to the wheels. It was very solid but was probably one of the reasons the plane was too heavy. I like your idea about using styrofoam to make a template. I made mine out of sheet balsa. Wish I had discussed this with you before I built mine (albeit that was fifteen years ago).

Jim Fruit

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2012, 07:29:55 PM »
Hi Jim,
I have always made my CF gears waaaaay too stiff in the past, have ground a lot of expensive CF tow off after the finished gear was off the mold.  The Pawnee gear is not like a Cub or Pacer gear, but simply two struts on the fuse' with an additional strut going to the bungees.  I was determined to not make this guy too stiff.  HA!!
I did it again!  I've had to grind about a third of the CF off to get ANY flex at all out of this.  The struts are, or rather, were 1/4 wide by 3/16 think and there was absolutely zero flex available.  You would think after molding close to a dozen gears I would know better, but, weeeelll, no comment from me on that.
I have just a tiny bit of flex now with the 1/4" wide and about 1/8" think struts.
As a reference point, Jeff Traxler had a stunter that had CF gear on it that was less than 1/8" think and started about 1" wide at the top tapering to around 1/2" at the bottom.  It was plenty strong enough.  This stuff is amazing as to strength.
I'd go for it again if I were you, Jim.  It's a lot of fun and, I think, very rewarding.  The cowling is next, it will be glass with CF bands on the inside for stiffening.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2012, 07:46:03 PM »
One thing I failed to mention on the CF gear, as it is right now it weighs exactly 2 ounces.  It will lose some of that when I put the lightening holes in the mounting pad.  That's a huge advantage with these gears, at least to my way of thinking - well worth the effort.  As long as you use the right epoxy and post cure it properly, it's almost fool-proof.

I owe Dan Winship a huge debt of gratitude for his help years ago on what epoxy to use and the post curing procedures.  THANKS DANNY!!!! #^ #^ y1 y1
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:53:48 AM by Will Hinton »

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2012, 08:07:50 AM »
Will:

I notice that you say you used CF Tow. I used CF Strips. Did I do wrong? Is your Tow spread throughout or layered?

O.K., out with the secrets. What epoxy and what post-cure treatment? What sort of temperatures? What is your hat size?

Jim Fruit

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2012, 12:03:29 PM »
I find tow much easier to work with for most molding jobs for LG's.  I don't think you did wrong, per se, but just put more work in than with the tow.  I use the woven tube for tuned pipes, is the only way to fly on those.

I get my epoxy from Resin Services in Michigan, and use HTR-250 resin with HT-106-3 hardener.  It's a 4 to 1 ratio, and is VERY sensitive to proper mix.  I weigh it out on my electronic scale.  stir 'til you're stir crazy.  well, some of us already qualify for that, so let's just say, "Be sure it's thoroughly mixed."
Lay the gear up on the mold, let it cure at room temp.  I like to do the final shaping and sanding before post curing it.  Post cure at 150 degrees for an hour, turn the oven off and let it cool in the oven.  That's it.
For tuned pipes and mufflers, I use HTR-350 with HT-8433 hardener, also a 4 to 1 ratio, and after it room cures, post cure it at:
150 for 1 hour
Then 250 for 1 hour,
Then 350 for 1 hour,
and finally at 450 for 1 hour.
Again, let it cool naturally in the oven after shutting it off.
I've yet to have a gear or pipe done this way fail after starting this over ten years ago.
My oven is a plywood box I made with insulated linings and four (4) 200 watt incandescent light bulbs in it and a meat thermometer sticking through a hole in the top.  I have a temp control controlling the bulbs and set it by trial and error until I got the control knob marked fairly accurate for the different temps  (I even have a little hatch in the end so I can cure guitar necks when I mold CF reinforcement rods alongside the truss rod slot.)

I love making as much of my ships as I can, and this has been really rewarding for me.  I hope you try it and have a lot of fun with it.

(I nearly forgot - I wear adjustable hats because sometimes I need a haircut really bad and have to expand the thing.) LL~ LL~

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2012, 01:13:14 PM »
Well, I haven't been totally inactive on the Pawnee.  Here's the rough fitted carbon fiber cowl taped in place.  I need to do the final fitting and then decide what I want to do as far as securing it.  At this point I think I'll go with button head screws since it's a fairly big unit.  I want the whole thing removable, but with the option to only remove the hatch over the head/cylinder if that's all I need to get to.
After this is fitted and secured, the next step is to design and mold the tube muffler for the Evo 60.  I thoroughly despise tongue mufflers because of the mess, so will build a tube type that won't weigh any more than the tongue muffler that came with the engine.  That's what I did for my one LA46 and it works great.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2012, 07:01:50 AM »
Sheesz Will, you have enough pieces that make it look like an airplane, ought to be ready to test fly by...New Years Day???   LL~  LL~  LL~

I really like this bird, its going to look great (already does)  y1

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2012, 01:40:35 PM »
Aaaah, welll, New Year's day, Denny?  Not quite.  Maybe by summer?  late spring?  NEXT WEEK!!?? ~^  nO WAY, MY FRIEND.
But thank you for the kind words.  Once I get the cowling mounted I can start sanding everything true and cover.  I'm eager to cover it so have to hold back a bit on the adrenalin rush so I don't rush it for the finish.
I'm struggling with whether to make it a shiny finish or a scale one - the real one had zero shine except where my butt fit the seat. n~

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2012, 01:46:26 PM »
Whatever finish you decide, this is going to be a beautiful model.
Congrats on the great job!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2012, 03:54:16 PM »
Thank you, Marcus, the encouragement is really appreciated!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2012, 05:00:08 PM »
 Will,

It's shaping up! Kudos!

You know the dusters are one of my favorite aircraft.

Looking forward to new news and more photos!

Keep up the good work!

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2012, 09:19:22 AM »
Hey Will, did you have a highly polished finish on your real duster?   Anyway it seems guys go for the high polish finish.   Look at the restored military aircraft you see in air shows.   A lot different than when you watch a video of the old aircraft heading out for a mission.  Been watching the Great Planes series on the military channel.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2012, 09:28:35 AM »
Hi Doc,
As I said above, the only shiny spot on the whole airplane was where my sorry butt polished the seat!  In fact, much of the underside of the rear section of the fuse' was stained yellow from the chemicals.  I'm currently leaning toward a semi-gloss but will probably decide when I start throwing paint at it.  I want to use two-part clear, but I don't want to bother mixing a flattener in it, so might see how I like it with the gloss of that, and if I don't like it, I'll sand it with 2000 grit and see how I like that.  Then I'll have the option to buff the beast if I decide I liked the gloss better.
Hey, who said I'm not able to make up my mind in a flash?  I resemble that remark. n~ n~ n~ :o

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2013, 02:30:45 PM »
Okay Y'all, the beast is finally ready to cover.  Here are a few pictures so you can see I really have been working!

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »
A couple more.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »
And finally, the "tiny" little kitten looks the 61" span ship over with a nose bump.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »
It only looks better and better #^

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2013, 12:23:49 AM »
Now if we only had a little Dynomite we can get you out of the basement to actually fly it y1 y1 y1 y1
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2013, 02:08:25 PM »
Now if we only had a little Dynomite we can get you out of the basement to actually fly it y1 y1 y1 y1

SMART MOUTH. ''  n1 n~

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2013, 03:51:47 PM »
Let me know your thoughts on this type of construction?  It seems much easier to get them straight, stiff and true this way if the weight comes out okay.

I don't know.  It may affect the scale some and the tone might come out kinda trebly. :)  Sure looks cool though.

Don't have any experience with those hinges but Bob McDonald has a very interesting appeoach using them.  He puts a radius on the LE of the movable surface and a radius pocket or concave in the TE of the fixed surface.  He cuts a notch for the pivot point in the movable surface so that the pivot point is in the center of the LE radius and the TE pocket.  I guess the idea is that he gets a sealed hinge line or some aerodynamic advantage, don't know exactly what.  He likes it though.  Does it on the flaps and the elevators.  Very slick.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2013, 02:38:46 PM »
I did a similar thing with Klett hinges like Bob M is doing, it worked okay, but the dog was heavy and never developed into a good ship.  Not the hinges' fault.  I like the idea he's using, and although it's too late for this ship, I'll give it a try on the next one!  Thanks

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2013, 07:28:29 PM »

LOL!

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »
Okay, okay you guys, I'm inventorying my fuel and ordering from Randy Rich this week!  Quit pickin' on poor little me! :'( :'( :'(

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »
I covered the wing today with 21st Century film.  Wow, what easy stuff to work with!  It goes on three times as easy as anything I've used in the past.  It's a bit heavier than the other films, I think, but the ease of application and the wrinkle-free wingtips are a real plus.  We'll see how it holds up under the sun and flight loads, but I really like it.  (Would you like to know how I REALLY feel about it?)
It isn't as shiny as the others, but for my Pawnee, that's perfect.  It has the same shine as the full scale did and the same shade of white as the Randolph dope.  (And shows a weave.)
I can hardly wait to do the fuse', but tail feathers come first.  I also can't make up my mind as to whether or not I should take the covering all the way forward on the fuse' or stop where the full scale did.  I don't like the idea of a separation line by the cockpit, and I don't like the idea of iron-on up on the fiberglass nose section.
My-oh-my, such world class decisions to make!!! ??? ???
Anybody have any long time experience with this stuff?  Does it hold up? ??? ???

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »
Now, now Will,  if we didn't like you so much we wouldn't pick on ya.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »
Yeah, I know, but I gotta pick back, ya know.  (Especially on Traxler!)  We owe each other money, or guitar parts, or....?   ~> n~ :!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here