News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:33:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A New Flight Box is needed  (Read 4113 times)

Offline Bill Gruby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A New Flight Box is needed
« on: September 16, 2007, 07:54:24 AM »
Good Morning:

I leave to go back to Connecticut today. When I get back I want to start on a new "Flight Box". How about some ideas from all of you and maybe some pictures of your boxes to help me along? Right now I am working out ff a plastic tool box. I want to try to get everything in one place. TIA

"Billy G"   :!
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: A New Flight Box is needed
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 12:08:52 PM »
Add an automated "Line reel" which will roll up the lines, while removing the twists in a perfect manner!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 12:09:46 PM »
Also, have an area similar to a "Snap On tool chest" to keep all the necessary tools we always need.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 05:18:30 PM »
I use a tool box for a Field Box. But I'm just building a new, small flight box based on Pete Peterson's unit. Very nice with small battery, power panel and room for a starter and tach.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 05:54:19 PM »
I take two boxes to the field.  One is a unit which you can sit on, plus it has a separate tray in the top.  The other is a three drawer Plano Fishing Tackle Box with a divided top tray.  Practicing or contests, I just take them both. 
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 07:43:38 PM »
Hi guys, where's the pictures????? It doesn't count, what you have unless you can show the pictures!

I use just an old R/C type box, has the battery with panel. Nice little spaces to get filled up with junk.

I believe its one of the old tower units. Its hard to make something for the price that is sold at tower or some of the other hobby stores.

Have a great day, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 07:54:05 AM »
When I actually go to the circle for an official flight, I have the glow plug lighter, a piece of rubber hose to fit over my finger, and that's it.  Everything else is in the pits. ;D  H^^
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 12:14:02 PM »
This is what I use to start my engine for a flight, small box with Tach. glow lighter starter
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 12:39:07 PM »
Larry,

This is very similar to what I'm planing. In recent years, I've just hauled a small glow driver, prop flipper (piece of heater hose with a dowel) and tach to the circle. When I previously used a "starting box" with a bunch of stuff in it, it seemed that all I was really using was the basics and flip starting. So I put the box away and the elements were given away or whatever. But for some reason recently, I've managed to flood planes or have some problem during official flights (and practice, for that matter) forcing me to take an attempt and hunt down a starter or a glow driver (bad battery) or whatever. I decided to go back to a "starting box" with battery, power panel, tach, starter and extra glow driver and whatever. But I wanted a small, contained box that didn't weigh a ton. Thanks to Pete Peterson for turning me onto a very small, 12v, 5amp battery that doesn't weigh much. Should make for a very small, light and easy to handle starting box.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 07:29:12 AM »
In my own case, I have found that if I need something OTHER than the glow plug battery, then something is wrong, and I will not have a good flight.  Everything gets hurried, and something is usually overlooked, or something......

So, with the engines I am using now (PAs and Aero Tigers), they start with the first flip (or back flip!), no more than a couple, or I take an attempt.  Something is wrong.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 08:39:43 AM »
Actually Bill meant he uses a Snap-On TRUCK!!

LL~
Curt

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 09:35:53 AM »
Actually Bill meant he uses a Snap-On TRUCK!!

LL~
Curt

Hey, there fellow BOBFGC member!  I resemble that remark!  S?P  LL~  H^^  D>K

Gonna be here in October?  If so, I had better get the *super secret combat machine* ready..........  ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 12:35:04 PM »
Hi Bill:

Well, I was planning to come down but the other family forces decided we needed to have a big 90th birthday bash for my mom.  I can't miss that! 

So..perhaps next year.

Curt

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 11:15:56 AM »
Hi Bill:

Well, I was planning to come down but the other family forces decided we needed to have a big 90th birthday bash for my mom.  I can't miss that! 

So..perhaps next year.

Curt

Hi Curt,

Wish your Mom the Happiest of Birthdays! 

Looking forward to seeing you soon. y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

steven yampolsky

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 08:01:15 PM »

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 08:25:40 PM »
Randy Powell,

I would appreciate it if you gave more details on the lighter weight 12 v battery you talked about. Weight ?, price? , size? and where to purchase?
saving weight is in a flight kit you have to lug around is always a good thing.

Thanks Randy,
                                                   Pat Robinson

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 10:33:13 PM »
Pat,

I'll have to look up the number, but it's a 12V 5A battery that is about 2" tall 3" wide and about 6" long. About half the weight of the typical motorcycle battery that Tower sells. I shoot a picture of it and post in this thread.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 11:20:40 PM »
Actually Tower sells two Gel Cell batterys, one is a 7 amp and the other a 4.5 amp I think, well duh, I am online, perhaps I will just go look see for ya,,  HB~>

Okies, its more complicated than I thought,,, first

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSK07&P=0

or then theres

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHVU6&P=0

if that werent enough then there is

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSK06&P=0
and for those who want the trickest setup in town , these two 6 volts are designed for use in boats, but can be mounted anwhere any positoion apparantly,, hm saddlebag batteries anyone,,
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXE559&P=0

For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 06:32:03 AM »
Hmmm, It sounds like the "Torquemaster Mini" 12 volt, 4.5 Mah gel cell is nearest to Randy's description.  A weight of 3.6 lbs, length of 3.5", height of 4" and width of 2.75".  Most gel cells weigh over 5 lbs. That is about a 2 pound savings.  I am sure Randy will let us all know if this is the right one.
Good presentation of battery options , Mark.
                                                                   Pat Robinson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 08:03:09 AM »
HI Guys,

On another board, G-Man posted this, but with certain "guidelines".  In other words, "anything goes".  Things like tool chests, clothing compartments for rain gear and a change of clothes, and ANYTHING that a *flight box* might have.  That's why I put the "automated, untwisting, line reel apparatus!  LL~  H^^
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

steven yampolsky

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 10:48:50 AM »
Pat,

I'll have to look up the number, but it's a 12V 5A battery that is about 2" tall 3" wide and about 6" long. About half the weight of the typical motorcycle battery that Tower sells. I shoot a picture of it and post in this thread.

How about something light:

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1833

Instructions on my Kavan give a range of 12 to 15 volts for a battery pack. 14.8V Lithium Ion ones are even lighter!

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1510

I even went one step further and bought individual NiMH Sub-C cells to make a 12V 1.5 amp pack. I could have went for more but Kavans need less juice to operate than direct drive starters. Kavan instructions recomment packs of 12V-15V 1.5A.

If you really in the mood for something closer to 5A capacity, get 10 of these:
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1827

10 of these 4.5A cells soldered in series( + to - to + etc...) will give you 12V and enough juice to last a season.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 02:45:58 PM »
Pat,

Well, it's not too unlike this one: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHVU6&P=0

But mine is smaller.

I'm even considering using a battery out of a laptop that I have except I'd have to figure out the contact points.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 05:29:01 PM »
Steven,
Those are some interesting battery options and possible configurations.
I once had a starter tray with wheels on it so I could just roll everything it out of the way after starting the engine. The only problem was it was a little top heavy so I had to be careful. These flat battery packs would keep the weight down low and if you used a flat shaped boat tank then no more top heavy. The roll away start tray is very convenient if you are using a stooge, you just crank engine , roll away the tray and walk to handle.

Okay Bill, You want some more advanced ideas for the G-man, check out the RCM magazine archives for Feb, 1973 for Tony's "Toter"  , this slick rig has  wheels so it can easily carry all your stuff plus an airplane in one trip. I have been sketching out an option to carry 2 planes nose down on each side.

Another idea is to leave room on the tote for a start stand so senior folks don't have to bend over. You start the engine in the stand , lift running plane out of the stand and place it in a stooge that holds the stab so no bending to fiddle with hooking up to the stooge. then roll stand off circle on the wheels that are on one side and you go to the handle. If you have a helper then he holds the plane while you roll away the stand and he lowers it down as you walk to the handle. The stand breaks down almost flat for easy transport.
  So Bill, how do you like those ideas. ;D

By the way,G-man  I have the RCM magazine and I can send you a copy of the article if you can't find it in the online archives.

Pat Robinson

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 07:50:32 AM »
 Thanks Pat, I will search for the article. Where I posted it on another "Forum" it was even brought up that a video system be incorporated so you could have an instant replay of your performance. Also a retractable stooge was mentioned. And never, and I mean NEVER forget the TP.

"G-Man"  VD~
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 08:31:03 AM »
I have a pit box in the basement with wheels and a handle to pull it with.  I used it a lot when flying radio.  It has been sitting since I started concentrating on control line.  Now I have a box for all the stuff you might need in certain situations.  I have a box for props.  I have another box that I set up for the trips to VSC and only stunt flying.  Since last year I now have a box set up for racing that holds 90% of the stuff I need for racing including a helmut to protect this feeble brain of mine.  Now for contest work there is the little box with too much stuff for flying that I carry to the circle.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 10:44:11 AM »
Hi "Doc",
Your post reminded me of some guys I knew that had small boxes they left in their car.  They had a small box called "The Repair Box" that held CA, 5-minute epoxy and stuff to mix it with and trim monokote and scissors for patches and etc.  They also had another slightly larger box called the "Backup Box". Their rule of thumb was, "If I use it regularly on the circle, then it goes in the flight box, if I might need it but not regularly then it goes in the "backup box" and stays in the car". "Don't lug around anymore than needed". They put in extra sets of lines, extra handles, extra props, tools they might need but not regularly and etc.   Sounded like a good idea to me.

"G-man", perhaps you could incorporate some of "Docs" ideas. If you went with a roll around "toter design", you could "modulerize" the design by have boxes of the same size , that are tailored for different type of aircraft, all fit in the same space on the tote. You just grab the module you need pop it in the tote and roll away.

G-man I think before you design any box it might be a good idea to get all of your "flight box stuff" and lay it out in front of you and then consider your list of "new stuff".  Your objective is to figure out how it would all fit together, and how you would use it all, and maybe, that some of it should go into a "Back-up" box because you don't use it regularly and you really need the space for something else. What I am trying to say is to start out by evaluating what is going into the box before you design the box.

I am sure you have thought of that before, but you have been given a lot of flight box ideas, so I just thought this approach might help you sort it all out.

Best wishes,
                                                                 Pat Robinson

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 11:49:33 PM »
I have decided that most contest flyers need very little to operate thier planes. I also found that rubbing two sticks togather will not start said engine. My take is if you have to fix anything before flying you are not prepared to fly. May as well take it home and come out another day. In the sixties I used a telephone 1 1/2 volt battery, a primer bottle, battery leads, 2 extra props, Lines and a gallon of fuet. Tools consisted of Plug an prop wrench and a scewdriver, not the kind you drink. That was sufficiant. any thing else I would usually bum if needed. Didn't carry glue because it took forever to dry. I had a small box that was made so the handle was a divider and the fuel went one side and everything else on the other Not sofisticated BW@ BW@ but usable. I still use this system. You can now make it smaller if you use 1/2 gallon fuel jug.  ??? ??? ??? ???

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here