News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:49:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Different Adjustable Leadout Guide  (Read 4906 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A Different Adjustable Leadout Guide
« on: August 29, 2012, 03:08:02 PM »
So, Randy Powell gives me this nice Sig Banshee that his kid built.  I look at it, figure I'm not going to change a thing on it -- just slap on an engine, and tank, and go.

@#$%.  Turns out it's covered in tissue, and my shop just isn't tissue friendly.  Or maybe I'm ham-handed.  At any rate I managed to punch two holes in it before it dawned on me that I either need to seriously revamp my airplane holding fixtures in the shop, or I need to recover the wing.  So it's getting Monocoat,

While I have the wing stripped I may as well put in adjustable leadouts (and a weight box -- but that's boring).  Since I had to adapt the existing leadouts, what I did was a bit oddball -- but I think it'll work out well.  Here's the core working parts -- as you can see, there'll be a slot for the leadouts, and another one for adjustment.  It won't be as snazzy as the usual arrangement -- but I think it'll work well, without having taken a lot of my effort or time to make.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: A Different Adjustable Leadout Guide
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 03:39:30 PM »
Tim,

Somehow, I know you wouldn't just fly it. It was covered in silkspan, but it was very old silkspan at this point and pretty fragile. You could cut the pushrod and add flaps, too as long as you're at it. It was built without flaps because I envisioned that he may get splatted a lot and it would be easier to rebuild without flaps, but we know that won't happen with you. Same reason the fuse is so heavy and reinforced.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »
It sure looks too thin and dense to be anything but tissue -- but I'll take your word for it.

I thought about cutting it up and putting on flaps, but decided that'd be too much work.  But then, that was before I decided to strip the wing.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 04:30:17 PM »
That's very clever, Tim!  y1

Bob Hunt

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 04:40:16 PM »
I agree with Bob, in fact, I may adapt that design to my current build I like it so well.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 05:09:12 PM »
Here it is with all the surrounding stuff for covering to stick to.  It just needs carving, now.

If I'd been smart I would have made the two rails that define the access to the screw by pasting two bits of 3/16 (or maybe 1/8) material together with 3/16" spacers.

But I'm stupid, so I put the rails in first, then thought about how I wanted the covering to look, cursed, and fit some pieces in.  Fortunately the opening opens up toward the outside, instead of the reverse.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »
And ready to cover.  I really love chisels for doing this sort of carving: you can reach into places that x-Acto knives won't go, and if you're careful you can put a Really Sharp edge on 'em.
AMA 64232

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »
Here is the tip that I designed for the Goldberg Shoestring. You could have simply cut the tip piece to allow for the leadouts and fitted 1/16" ply both sides.

I think the original idea came from Tom Morris years ago.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 06:02:16 PM »
I would have done something like that for new construction.  But the plane came to me with perfectly good leadouts, just fixed in place.  What you see here was done with the tubes already on the leadouts, without disturbing the existing controls beyond making them adjustable.
AMA 64232

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 06:37:36 PM »
The only shortcoming that I can see is the need for two slots, one for the adjuster and one for the lead-outs themselves, whereas the conventional ones share the same slot for both functions.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 11:53:44 PM »
With another 100 engineering hours and 20 more shop hours, Tim could have come up with a design that would have only one slot. I'm sure this'll work just fine.  S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 12:07:40 AM »
Tim,, well thought out,, and clean solution to a problem,, I likeit,, now cover it up quick before you get carried away on some other thing,, LOL,,
are you going to salem?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 12:47:02 AM »
now cover it up quick before you get carried away on some other thing,, LOL,,

I'm trying to get carried away with a Fancherized Twister, but I keep distracting myself.

are you going to salem?

Almost maybe 100% certainly, if my work schedule cooperates.  I have a couple of trips coming up, the dates for which have not been set, that may screw me up.
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 12:01:08 PM »
The leadout system is clever.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »
I did something similar, but different, on my Wombat biplane.   The leadout guide sticks up out of the lower wing.  I will have to look at it again, as I don't remember exactly what I did.  It has separate adjustments for up and down and back and forth.  I'll go look at it again and maybe post a picture.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 06:19:19 PM »
simple answer
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Tim, great idea!  I am trying to figure , do you now need a slot at the wingtip for the leadouts to slide and a slot on top of the wingtip to get to the adjuster?
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 06:48:08 PM »
Tim, great idea!  I am trying to figure , do you now need a slot at the wingtip for the leadouts to slide and a slot on top of the wingtip to get to the adjuster?

Yes, you need two slots -- that's the downside.  I put the adjustment slot on the bottom side of the wing -- all the pictures are of the thing sitting upside down in a cradle.

The reason I did it this way is that it's easier to retrofit onto an existing wing.
AMA 64232

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 07:40:20 AM »
.25" hole is all you need here.

Retro fit to a 50 year old wing. I try not to throw anything out.

Added rib on the foolish wingtips gives me 3.5" of added lifting area with an honest airfoil.

Lightening holes.

Cute balsa plug goes in adjusting hole while flying. Keeps out dirt and air. ;D

Last photo is like 50 years ago.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »
Looks like a lot of parts to me... ::)

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 05:12:45 PM »
So Tim, how's the world's most labor intensive ready to fly Banshee doing?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 06:05:48 PM »
So Tim, how's the world's most labor intensive ready to fly Banshee doing?
Shelved for the moment, in favor of the world's most labor intensive kit-built Twister.  It was to be a quickie before I started the Twisted Sister, but I got stalled out when my Monocoat turned out to be bad.  So to keep my bench busy, I started the Twister, and that's now occupying the spot.

I shoulda just put tape on it and flown it...

At some point I'll come to a stop on the Twister and make progress on the Banshee again.  If nothing else, I want to use it as a test bed for the Twister tank -- I want to use a metal one so I can paint it, but only if it works guud.
AMA 64232

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 01:04:59 PM »
Shelved for the moment, in favor of the world's most labor intensive kit-built Twister.  It was to be a quickie before I started the Twisted Sister, but I got stalled out when my Monocoat turned out to be bad.  So to keep my bench busy, I started the Twister, and that's now occupying the spot.

I shoulda just put tape on it and flown it...

At some point I'll come to a stop on the Twister and make progress on the Banshee again.  If nothing else, I want to use it as a test bed for the Twister tank -- I want to use a metal one so I can paint it, but only if it works guud.

Randy & Tim,

Harumph, harumph...!

The "most-labor-intensive..." line is original with me, as is "Pukey Profile" and some others. I must insist that full credit be given in all cases. Stiff fines, severe ridicule and strongly worded letters might otherwise come into play.

As to the original topic in this thread do keep my name away from such an assemblage of parts. Please.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
C'mon.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 02:23:52 PM »
Come to think of it, while "Pukey Profile" belongs to you without question, I suspect that the "most labor intensive" tag is obvious enough to have been in use somewhere before you were driving.

But if you want, I'll claim the Twister project as "most overwrought" instead.  With over 25 separate pieces of wood in a fuselage that came with 5 in kit form, it counts as overwrought, yes?
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 05:18:42 PM »
Dan is just being prissy. But ignore him and he'll only get worse.    ;D  (smiley face just for Dan)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Dan is just being prissy. But ignore him and he'll only get worse.    ;D  (smiley face just for Dan)

Sigh. My comments were a joke! I am thinking it would be a lot easier all the way 'round if youse guys would elevate your appreciation of humor, 'cos there is no way I will reduce myself to using those faggoty smiley things!

As to who got there first my application of phrase in question was to an ARF Flite Streak. And so TWMLARFFS (The World's Most Labor-intensive ARF Flite Streak) was, again, nothing more than a silly joke. (See a pattern here?)

Not only did the model exist for a time the name was exceedingly accurate. While there might be one or two ARF Flite Streak hop-up tips not incorporated into that model I cannot think of one at the moment. And there were mods made which I have not seen from anyone else.

All in all a really stupid project even if the model flew well.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 09:54:07 AM »
DAn,

Lighten up, Man. Oh wait, you already did. Your naming conventions are famous!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 11:59:08 AM »
Hey ease up on Dan.  People are just going to have to learn he is who he is and will always be I hope.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 12:02:39 PM »
DAn,

Lighten up, Man. Oh wait, you already did. Your naming conventions are famous!

Yeah, and I didn't even mention my model which Wild Bill designed and called the Bare Cat. While it would be nice to post a picture of it, if I were to do so one and all would agree that Phlying Fallic Cymbal is an exceedingly appropriate name, clearly better than Bill's.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 04:46:21 PM »
Ya just had to go there.