News:

• May 13, 2024, 01:04:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A 1st for me  (Read 1700 times)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
A 1st for me
« on: October 01, 2007, 11:04:17 AM »
After attending the TGD contest and speaking with Bill Wilson who is a pro painter. I am going to give his method of finishing a try on my SV-100. This will be all automotive paints except for the substrate which will be Min-Wax Polycrylic. I know some others have tried this system but it was explained to me in the (REAL LIFE) term's I understand. Should be a striking paint job as I have a lot of colors from past paint jobs on Motorcycle tanks and cars.

I will keep you posted on the progress. I will say this it cuts out a lot of steps and after feeling his 38 oz plane I know I can make it light.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 12:25:07 PM by Robert Storick »
AMA 12366

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: A 1st for me
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 11:19:03 AM »
Bob,
I've heard from several different modelers that they tried this method but the finish turned out to be too heavy.  I'm referring to the Polycrlic base.  Can you explain how you are going to avoid this type of finish getting to heavy?  Thanks Bob.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 11:45:33 AM »
Bob,
I've heard from several different modelers that they tried this method but the finish turned out to be too heavy.  I'm referring to the Polycrlic base.  Can you explain how you are going to avoid this type of finish getting to heavy?  Thanks Bob.

What made sense was the talk about solids content. You have to add 3 to 5 coats of dope to get a base. Using this method I will use 1 coat and go to primer. The next thing was ,in the past I use single stage urethane and on this plane I will use base clear. The single stage has a (clear) binder and adds weight to cover. So with each coat you add weight. base clear covers in 1 coat and 2 coats of clear. So what will make it light is the method of application.

Less coats = less weight. Bill Wilson is a fine finisher and if he can do it so can I!
AMA 12366

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 11:58:02 AM »
DON'T DO IT!!!

I did on my SV-23.  If you insist, try it on a smaller practice ship.

Call me if you like.

Curt

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 12:00:35 PM »
Curt,
instead of posting a dramatic warning, please detail your thoughts as to which part of the process you dont agree with. At least state what your concerns are, unless of course you want 100 people calling you to find out on the phone lol,,

and if you do want the calls, heck let me have your number, I want to find out what your concerns are. personally I dont like the poly cril base, but the base clear  urethane system is a solid choice,,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 12:13:07 PM »
Mark,

The Freelancer I gave you is finished this way. Not a dope of dope on the plane. Watch out applying polycrylic on base wood. It can cause warps.

It's pretty easy to use a no-lacquer finish if you don't have any open bays. It gets a bit dicey if there are open areas that you have to cover with silkspan. I did it with the Freelancer by attaching the silkspan wet with polycrylic and then after it was dry coating the silkspan with polycrylic and using a hairdryer to shink it. It sort of worked.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 12:21:09 PM »
It water based.  Water on balsa can make stuff warp.  It usually comes back but carefull attention must be paid to make sure.  Water evaporates and you are left with the filler and sealer.  It is not at all *proof against anything.  If you wait to long to sand it out it get so hard you cant cut it.  I used it on one of my planes and did not like it myself.  Lighter was not what I was after.  No dope fumes was.  I can already build light enough so that is not the concern. I dont know why you would be worrying about weight, but no reason to dig into that conversation.  It was not lighter in my case.  It was about the same.  The amount of time used sanding and getting ready for primer was much much more.  The finish took longer and was not lighter.  This was my first try.  As with anything we do as we work it over we get it down to a "T".  Bill is one fine painter that is for sure.  He is a paint and body guy and owns his own shop.  His Drag Car is AWESOME!!!

I was looking for some advantages to get me to change my finish routine and I didnt find it there.  

Less coats but more sanding to get ready.  It was more work in my case.

The weight was the same, but not really a concern anyway.

There are no fumes and you can use it indoors and it will NOT be harmful.  THAT IS VERY GOOD!

You can get the stuff anywhere.

It isnt that expensive.

You can even mix in some zinc sterate for more fill quality.

As I said before these were my personal finidings.  

I am able to get my dope/carbon veil/automotive finish in alot less time at the same or better quality.  Of course I have done my finish a great deal many more times and that is an advantage as I know what will happen and what to expect.

Robert, I urge you to try this on one of the plane you have that will not be your main project so you can get a feel  how it works before you just dig in.  So you know what to expect.

Just my thoughts on it.  Hope it helps.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 01:06:06 PM »
OK..

I have no issue with the basecoat/clearcoat systems.  I have been using Omni and Matrix products.  The Matrix especially is VERY user friendly.  Others up here use strato clear  and BC/CC with great success.

It is the Polycrylic that I advise against.  Not to say it doesnt do certain things as described..but it has real issues in my experience.

First, it is water-based.  EVERYTHING you put it on twists up like a pretzel.  It does get rock hard but so does epoxy and .5 oz glass.

I was able to salvage flaps after having to heat and weight them to get them flat again.  I tried doing all sides at once and laying them flat, weighted down with saran wrap.  Then the stuff wouldn't cure.

After all of the disasters on the span and Poly, I applied a standard acrylic lacquer automotive grey primer.

It looked very smooth and surface was hard etc.  But the poly had added more weight than I might have liked.

Now..here's the ultimate downer.

My plane is slightly off-white with green LE and top block.  after only a couple of hours in the sun, everywhere in the green areas (hot)  there was grain and small blisters showing through. 

The grain was a series of small blisters along grain lines.  When I say small, they were no bigger than the diameter of a pin, for the most part, but thousands of them following right along the grain lines in the LE sheeting and top blocks, etc.

Now, I have used silkspan for years, and have painted in  a variety of systems for years.  I don't believe there was a handling or surface prep proplem like contamination.  The surface was candled with 320 prior to grey primer.  The primer was done with 400 and was spotless.  The poly probably had several weeks prior to grey.

All of the BC/CC went as usual--and it looked really perfect--right up until I took it outside and let it sit on the flightline for an hour.

Subsequent dissection of several bubbles revealed that the greay had simply released from the polycrylic substrate underneath.  There was no failure to cure and I could see sanding scratches printed into the backside of the grey indicating there was tooth in that area.

Anyway,  Thats the story.

I guess I would use the stuff if I was allergic to dope or something, but it wasn't faster, I don't think it was lighter, and I don't think it is any harder than epoxy glass.  It is harder than glass/Nitrate or CF nitrate, but I don't see that as a significant advantage.

If it works for you, great, but I won't try it again, and I surely wouldn't recommend someone try it out on a big plane.

FWIW

Curt

PS:  Now you don't need to call me.

PS2:  Seems that much of what I experienced is similar to what Doug found.  Especially the sanding/prep etc. and the weight. 

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 01:09:27 PM »
I'm convinced.
AMA 12366

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 01:23:26 PM »
Curt, and Doug,
thanks thats the information I was looking for. I have heard about this system several times, and wondered about it. I am also a professional painter by trade, 25 years, I have a serious aversion to mixing systems. However there is some motivation to mix as there is the problem of shrinking silkspan over open bays. I have a top secret super whammy system I am working on,, (ok so I dont want to say until I know it works or doesnt)
thanks again for sharing your experiences  guys.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 01:28:29 PM »
The only reason I was hesitant was that I hate to openly bash a process that has obviously worked for some guys.  I have alot of respect for Bill Wilson and Brad Walker--thats why I tried it in the first place.  But I really feel that if I can't make it work well, there might be more to the story somehow.

Curt

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 02:37:49 PM »
I listened one time while Bill Wilson vented about people having trouble with his system.  In every case they had not followed the directions he gave them, but had "improved' his system. I have never used his system, so I'm just giving you some second hand information. If I were to use his system, I would follow his advice to the letter. 

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 03:49:05 PM »
Hi Jim:

I tried.  I had a copy of Brad's article.  Several posts back and forth as well to clarify.  I never had a channel to communicate directly with Bill but thought that Brad was passing along the information well.

I would agree that something went awry but for the life of me I don't know what it was--I'm pretty anal about following finish system process.

I know those guys have had good success with it.  Perhaps there is an environmental or atmosphere issue being up here...I don't know.

Curt

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 04:03:31 PM »
I didnt say it didnt work for me.  It did, but I found no advantage for me personally.  That is all I am saying.  AND, be ready when you put a water based product on your balsa plane.  I followed it but I had to wait a while before sanding and it got rock hard to the point where it was alot of work to get it completed.

I did not have the blistering problems that Curt ran into.  That sounds like moisture under the finish and the heat activated the poly or something of some sort.  Who knows.....

And I will go one step further that if I outlined the way I do it start to finish people might try it and not like it for whatever reason.  We all have our ways of doing it.  We all refine it as we go.  Making a change to what you are doing should be calculated with a certain reason for doing so.  Then specific attention is paid to make sure that the reason you changed is accomplished or not....

Sparky going for lighter finish in this case is going to be darn hard to beat what he does now.  To get the finish lighter, dont know why that would be a concern of his at this point, just do less to the plane.  No pilot, no cockpit detail, no gear skirts, less filler on the bottom of the plane, no panel lines, no extra trim scheme paint, use dark colors that are NOT transparent (get one coat coverage, stay away from white!), no blocking color under main color, no extra colors on the bottom of the plane, go from grey primer or whatever primer color to finish trim scheme (primer becomes your main color saves weight), apply all sprayed material with the exception of clear with an airbrush (Ah la Gieseke), dont use butyrate dope colors they have gloss hardener in therm makes them heavy, apply clear with a circle pattern (not a large fan) at a low pressure (9-13lbs) from an HVLP gun and make small movements, thin clear with Urethane thinner (10% or more), only two coats applied no matter what....things like that make for a lighter finish.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 04:46:12 PM »
Doug,

My experience was similar to yours. I got it to work fine but it was a lot of extra work and I didn't feel that it was any better than the system I'd been using. I had some unsupported planking between the ribs that with lacquer wouldn't have been an issue, but with polycrylic it warped so badly that it had to be replaced, adding some weight in the process. As you note, obviously some people have made the system work quite well. But it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here