News:

• May 04, 2024, 09:22:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 Part Clear Coat  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Mike Clark

• Lets get together and burn some fuel!
  • ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
2 Part Clear Coat
« on: May 23, 2006, 08:52:00 PM »
Hi Guys,
If two part auto clear is used to seal the deal on a new stunter, how much of this paint, paint in ounces will cover say a Satona or SV11? I am building a Magnum Plus which is almost the same as an SV11 in size.

Auto clear was not figured into the new stunters weight, that I am building but what the heck. I have already tried the rattle can primer from Autozone and it works, ordered carbom veil, so why not auto clear?

Is it fogged on in two or three coats?

Thanks,
Mike Clark

Mike Clark

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: 2 Part Clear Coat
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 08:55:29 PM »
I use 4-1-1 Sherwin Williams clear. The plane gets one light coat. I usually mix to the 2 on a mixing cup. Not much material is used. What you spray there stays there so go easy!
AMA 12366

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 12:07:57 AM »
Listen to Robert. He's a smart guy. This stuff is pretty heavy, so you need to go easy with it. I use pPg. 2-1-1 when it's humid or cold. Just the regular 2-1 mix if it's above 75 degrees or so and not too humid. The mix is 2 parts clear, one part hardner and one part urethane thinner to get it to flow when the conditions are not optimal. I mix up about 4oz (liquid ounces) and shoot that for a 700 square inch plane. Usually have a bit left, but better too much than too little

One note. Timing is important with this stuff. I shoot on a light coat of it. Not much more than a mist. Then let it set for about 20 minutes before recoating with the final, medium coat. Don't wait much more than that. These paints are set up for a certain timing for recoating. You can run into some problems with spalling if you wait too long. Not a bit deal for us generally, but follow the directions that the auto paint store gives out for the system you use. There's usually a window specified.

edit for a stupid typo
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 06:58:05 AM »
Try to make it flow but I do not try to make it look like glass. If it has some peel in it, it will flatten out when you sand it with 2000 grit. This type paint is PLASTIC so not much gasses off. The light smooth finish is achieved with elbow grease.
AMA 12366

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here