News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:34:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .05 fiberglass cloth  (Read 3192 times)

Kirm Dog

• Trade Count: (0)
.05 fiberglass cloth
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:09:54 AM »
I did a test piece for useing .05 fiberglass cloth with Pace finishing resin and had the following results.

.05 fiberglass cloth

Pace finishing resin mixed 50/50 with 1/3 acetone

placed on bare, dry, sander wood

painted on finishing resin over glass like Al Rabes does

allowed to set 24 hrs.

The glass cloth after 24 hrs. just pealed away from the test balsa like it was held on with only spray 77 adhesive.  :o
What did I do wrong? Not enough resin?
I might just go back to using dope and paper or carbon fiber. I never had a problem with them. I would like as bulletproof a finish as posible that's why I tried the glass cloth. I guess I could go back over the test piece with more resin but I feel that I might just as well tie a brick to the wing because of the weight.
Any ideas? ???

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: .05 fiberglass cloth
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 08:28:07 AM »
1/3 acetone?  That might have been the problem.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Kirm Dog

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 10:23:53 AM »
Hi Crist;

I had asked a question on SS about using fiberglass cloth a few months back and Al Rabe responded. He said he uses 1 part A, 1part B and one part Acetone when placing FC. Unless I goofed up the formula I think that equals 1/3 acetone. It could be that I mixed in such a small quanity the the A and B were not in equal measurements although the wood seemed hard after 24 hours, but glass didn't stick.

I don't think finishing resin goes bad but for some reason it didn't stick well. Maybe I'll try another test piece tonight and use less acetone. The Pace resin is thin to begin with.

Don Kirmess

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 07:06:13 PM »
If the glass didn't stick I can see few possible reasons:
1) not enough glue to soak down to the wood and fill the glass.
2) dust on the wood that soaked up the glue and kept it from sticking well.
3) glue didn't have time to soak into the wood for a good bond. 

the last issue of Model Aviation had a good article on applying glass.
phil Cartier

Kirm Dog

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 07:32:28 PM »
I'll have to find that issue of Model Aviation. The AMA had a computer glitch and booted my membership. I've since straightened this out but haven't got a mag since December.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 11:04:24 PM »
It's .5 oz/sq. yard... or more likely, 1 yard x 1 meter. That's a half ounce for a whole square yard. It doesn't get any lighter than that, so I hope nobody will waste time looking for .05 oz/yard glass (or carbon).  Doesn't exist!

This Pace "Finishing Resin"...is this epoxy, or polyester resin? I don't trust polyester, it doesn't have much of a shelf life, compared to epoxy...as a general rule, and the small dose of catylist makes it more critical. If epoxy, I'd suggest alcohol for thinner, specifically, shellac thinner from the paint store.     Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline SQ8s

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 12:50:33 AM »
PRODUCT SNIP>>>>The 0.2mm carbon sheet is adhesive-backed, and can be cut with scissors. It will stick to just about any surface, and can be used to cover roll cages, wing end plates, A-pillar pods, and just about anything else.

BOY thanks STEVE I thought I bought a bad product........oohhhhhhhh

I know it's mm....bad me
Scott Riese

Kirm Dog

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 06:04:46 AM »
Oh darn, I wanted the .05 cloth. Hahahaha, typo no my part.

Anyway the produt is PacerZ-Poxy Finishing Resin and from what I gather on the box it is an epoxy. I have used some from the box for making fittets. I have used mico balloons and finishing resin in a thick paste but have never had it cure in the 3 hours that is claimed on the box. I know that cure times change when you mix micro balloons in but I always thought that it would set faster. It doesn't matter if I heat up the resin and mix or use it right out of the tube, cure time is more like 24 hours not 3. I mix for 2 minutes (timed) when using with the micro balloon or straight and would think that this is sufficient. This is the first time I'm using this procuct and maybe it's just the nature of the beast I'm working with. :P

Don Kirmess

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 03:22:27 PM »
I'd use no more than 10% acetone to thin the epoxy. It doesn't take very much, even 5% makes it brushable. Al probably gets away with it because Dallas weather evaporates the solvent much more quickly than Chicago weather does. Entrapped solvent is bad news for any finishing system. Slow cure and poor hardness can be the obvious results.

Epoxied 0.5oz cloth will never seem very rigid by itself, its just too thin. Even fully cured it will flop around like any other thin plastic sheet with ordinary epoxy. Its when it is attached to something else that you get rigidity.

Another thing to note is that with non-soluble resins like epoxy, you have to get enough on to fill the cloth first time around. If the fibres aren't filled, adding epoxy after the first lot has cured isn't going to add strength, just weight. You can do it with dope, because each subsequent coat melts into the existing coats, but more epoxy just sits on top of the hardened epoxy. If there are voids and unsaturated fibres, they'll stay that way.

I say try again with 10% acetone, make sure there is enough or slightly too much resin in the glass, hit it with the toilet paper and then maybe heatgun to help the acetone evaporate before it gets trapped.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 06:22:49 AM »
Hi Don,

When I do a nose with fiberglass, I use the Z-Poxy straight up.  It's thin enough and it is a "glass" smooth finish when sanded.  ;D

For any other applications of glass or CF I use dope.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Kirm Dog

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 09:08:58 AM »
Hi Bill

I have used dope with CF and it turns out great. Could you tell me how you use dope with glass coth and how it turns out?

Don Kirmess

Offline Busby

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 09:40:34 AM »
If the thinner is slow curing or evaporating it has been my experience that the cloth will continue to print thru until there has been several <6-8> coats of dope applied.
Marshall Busby

Kirm Dog

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 08:32:32 PM »
Well I did my wings today with the 1/3,1/3,1/3 mix and it worked this time. It must have been the bigger volume of resin that I had to mix in order to do my wings. It looks great now and I'm well on my way to a  new technique(for me anyway). Thank you for all the advice that was given.

Don Kirmess

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here