News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:00:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: $39.95 worth of X-Acto blades  (Read 1466 times)

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
$39.95 worth of X-Acto blades
« on: December 19, 2007, 08:22:25 AM »
This my new tool.  Bought from Production Tool (a high quality instrustrial supplier, not Harbor), for a sale price of only $39.95. 

I'd put off buying a scroll saw due the price/size/quality of previous offerings.  But when I saw this deal, I pulled the trigger.  It fits nicely at one end of my bench and I can cut-as-I-go during my usual freehand builds.
Paul Smith

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: $39.95 worth of X-Acto blades
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 09:48:28 AM »
Once you have the tool, Paul, the real key is to select the correct blades for the job. (One size does NOT fir all.) I get almost 100% of my Scrollsaw Blades from www.mikesworkshop.com. Good prices, extremely fast shipping, and very knowledgeable advice. Just call Mike, tell him what you're cutting, and follow his recommendatations. Wait 'til you see the sdcrollsawn Grandfather Clock on his website!

Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 10:44:17 AM »
Thanks,

It looks like he has plenty of blades, and at good prices, too.   
Maybe he has some that will cut that piece of titanium that I haven't  been able to use since 1975.
Paul Smith

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 03:45:18 PM »
https://www.ptsxpress.com/home/home.asp

Production Tool Supply has shops all over the Detroit area, and probably elsewhere, but I'm not sure where.

This is a heavy tool, so shipping would probably kill the deal if you can't buy in persona.
Paul Smith

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
https://www.ptsxpress.com/home/home.asp

Production Tool Supply has shops all over the Detroit area, and probably elsewhere, but I'm not sure where.

This is a heavy tool, so shipping would probably kill the deal if you can't buy in persona.

I'm headed there tomorrow, the one in Novi.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 05:33:28 PM »
Once I got my scroll saw, I don't know how I ever did with out one!  Mine sure beats my old method of cutting 1/8th" 5 ply fuselage formers with a coping saw!  Plus, I can undercut my maple motor mounts in the fuel tank area, cut tensioner spars to mount bellcranks, cut plates for removeable LG etc., etc.. I don't really know all the uses I have!

One thing I like to do is cut very shallow kerfs, about 1/4" apart, in the side of the maple mounts where they will epoxy to the ply (or balsa as the case may be) which just gives a better tooth to the epoxy bite.  I use the distance from the blade to one foot of the guide as a gauge for the cuts, maybe 1/64th" deep.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 08:46:18 PM »
Looks exactly the same as the Harbor Fright's scroll saw (xept for color), but for a bunch less $$$. Good luck with the Ti.  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93012   LL~ Steve

Edit: Got called to chow...best not be late for chow around here...meant to post the HF pic.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 07:54:34 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 09:28:20 AM »
I had a Dremel scroll saw for many years( bought in 1962), it died of old age a few years ago.  I finally replaced it with one of the Harbor Freight ones last year.  It may be my imagination but it seems to vibrate a heck of a lot more than the Dremel.  It does work for the infrequent times I need to do something with it, mostly cutting clearance holes in plywood firewalls and similar stuff.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here