News:

• May 13, 2024, 10:25:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Epoxy resin or polyester resin  (Read 936 times)

Offline Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Epoxy resin or polyester resin
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:47:46 AM »
Which one to use for appling glass cloth to solid surfaces
why or why not
do you treat the balsa with Hair spray first
do you use dope first  ( nitrate or bu)
do you have to let the hair spray or dope gass off for a week prior to
appling the resin?
Thanks  Fred Q

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Epoxy resin or polyester resin
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:14:32 AM »
Personlly, I am not a fan of Poleyester resin. It is simpler to use in some ways, but it also has solvents in it and it can shrink out. I know lots of models have been finished with it, but for my money, I would use finishing epoxy. I have not reallly ever coated the balsa first with hairspray/dope. I have heard a lot of good things about it, I just dont, though I have contemplated it I will confess.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 09:22:02 AM »
Epoxy resin is the best to use as it can be applied and most of it removed depending on how you put it on.  Like anything it takes practice.  The polyester resin is what I used years ago as that was all the hobby shop had.  The stuff took forever to really cure and would gum up the sand paper.  Also it does not get as hard as epoxy in  my opinion.  Do a search over on Stuka Stunt Works for the Mustunt series by Al Rabe.  He gives a detailed thread on using the epoxy resin for the base coat.  Done right it is no heavier than a traditional finish of dope.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline PeteBergstrom

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 10:15:14 AM »
Definitely epoxy resin over polyester resin.  The polyester resins are not very temperature stable, will continue to shrink for years to come and the weave of the cloth will eventually show through your finish.  With polyester the warmer it gets, even when cured, the softer it gets so you really have to be careful what colors you paint over it (i.e. darker colors will get warmer and the resin below them will be softer than an adjacent area painted in a lighter, more heat reflecting color).

Any of the readily available epoxies work well - I have a lot of experience with West Systems and System 3.  They wet out well, and a quart of this material will finish many, many airplanes.

Pete

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 02:20:13 PM »
Hi Pete, good to see you here.

And I agree. I'd also say that if you are using polyester resin, you are severely restricted on what paint you can use over it. Dope won't stick and even with urethane, it's dicey.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 03:25:34 PM »
I've been using Polyester for more years than I will admit.

I've never had an issue with anything related to it.

I never paint over polyester resin, I prime it first. The paint goes on over the primer. I use all automotive products.

This model was finished in polyester resin and glass cloth. Primed with Dupont primer. All automotive paints, actually leftovers that were given to me, were used. The flag stuff was masked and brushed with brushing lacquers which are no longer available. The lettering and art was done by hand, actually gold leaf. The black around the lettering and art was brushed with One Shot, sign paint.

The thing was cleared with a two part Dupont clear. Two coats.

"Never change a winning game." This model took best finish award at the WRAM show ages ago.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »
I did use polyester resin years ago, but gave up on it.  Now, I just use an Epoxy.  Not just for the reasons listed above, but since my wife was diagnosed with lung prolems and Asthma, she cannot take the odor and outgassing of the polyester.  In fact, I cut back on use of Ambroid because of this.

Also, sometimes for small areas, I might use a medium CA for the fiberglass.
Tony

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here