News:

• May 08, 2024, 04:03:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: YAKIMA GRUNTS OF THE DAY! BOB KAUTSMAN AND JACK SHANE!  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
YAKIMA GRUNTS OF THE DAY! BOB KAUTSMAN AND JACK SHANE!
« on: March 08, 2007, 09:42:04 AM »
BOB KAUTSMAN! WHAT A TALENTED ARTIST STUNT MODEL BUILDER-FLYER AND NOTED ENGINE COLLECTOR. This shot was taken at the 70 Spokane Internats with his beautifully finished Nobler and Rabe-ised' Mustang that flew as incrediable as they looked. Bob's is second to none when it comes to the fine art of building and finishing stunt models...Plus, they were always soooooooo light.
JACK SHANE! Another modeler who came out of the Yakima valley....that also produced extremely beautifully finished and flying stunt models. LIKE LEO...HE TOO LOVED ORANGE FOR AIRPLANES because he always thought they look so purty against those deep blue high altitude skys that are made Yakima so famous over the years.  (Devil Woman-humm? Named after his wife...who reeeeeally didn't understand why he would get home so late from flying? NAWW! Just razzin??? I think??? Maybe not!!! mw~

Both Bob and Jack's models were alway sooooooo light in weight...Humm? Could it have been because of the thinner Yakima air that make it priority one to keep those beautiful models light on the scales?

Hey, I found another Bob Kautzman model....A Larry Scirinzeeeized' Blue Angel. This was an incredibly great flying airplane.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 05:31:07 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
Re: YAKIMA GRUNTS OF THE DAY! BOB KAUTSMAN AND JACK SHANE!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 05:13:30 PM »
Yup these Guy's new what they were doing. Just because we wern't scared of the Jolly Green Giant they thought they would scare us with those light Airplanes and none of them turned clockwise. I think they did this more than once.

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 04:22:41 PM »
Don,

While I came to know Jack Shane quite well, I first became friends with Jack's younger brother, Jerry Shane.

The Shane family lived in Selah, Washington, which I suppose is close enough to the Yakima Valley for geographically challenged folk such as yourself.

Jerry, Gene Somethinorother, Marv Foster, myself and a few others used to ride dirtbikes together.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 10:33:53 AM »
Don,

While I came to know Jack Shane quite well, I first became friends with Jack's younger brother, Jerry Shane.

The Shane family lived in Selah, Washington, which I suppose is close enough to the Yakima Valley for geographically challenged folk such as yourself.

Jerry, Gene Somethinorother, Marv Foster, myself and a few others used to ride dirtbikes together.

Dan

I used to drive over to Selah Wa.(GATEWAY TO THE YAKIMA VALLEY) Jack and I would fly at a ball park with our old stunt models at both Selah and in Yakima.
 I have slides showing Jack's old Cougar and my old Kenhi Wildcat...somewhere??? We flew in various places...depending on what field was not being used by ball players.

In those early days as an account salesman for GAF corp, Eastern Ore. and Wa. was on my monthly travel schedule and I would never leave home without an stuntjob in the trunk. Some of those beautiful green baseball fields in Eastern Wa and Oregon were so well kept and beautiful to fly from.

Later Jack lived in N Seattle...when he was first married and then we used to fly at Carkeek Park...between the tree branches. WHAT A HORRIFIC PLACE TO FLY...but somehow we always managed.
Unfortunately for Jack..."LV ME...LV MY AIRPLANES" didn't work out too well for his marriage. Gads...I can't believe that was soooooomany years ago.
Only by the grace of God and Carol....my beloved has put up with my addictions. By the way my family alway enjoyed those visits from our Dirty Dan at our Federal Way home so many years ago...
GADS DAN! That seems like only yesterday...MY OH MY! HOW TIME FLIES!!! :o
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 10:44:04 AM »
Hey Dirty D!!!
Check out this link to "The Gateway of the Yakima Valley"
www.city-data.com/city/Selah-Washington.html
http://www.ci.selah.wa.us/

Beautiful place that is soooooooooooo over-looked for a week end get-a-way. I used to fly at the Yakima Firing range center...when I was in the National Guards. Great place to fly on on their parade grounds that were so beautifully kept. Noise was NO FACTOR WHAT SO EVER in that location, huh?
Attached is a photo of Howard Lynn Dooty ready to stomp my airplane. picked up the other  I won a silver plate and a voucher for $35 bucks at a local market....which I spent on Yakima Wine, which I shared with my fellow gruntsers that day? Even had my photo taken for the Yakima newspaper with the mayor...
AH...FAME OR INFOMAY! Ever so fleeting

Last photo...is Ben getting ready to dump my old Sting Ray into the trash barrell!  LL~
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:50:31 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »
I meet Bob Kautzman once a year at the Model Engine Collectors Association EXPOs.  We usually sit together at the banquet and we do a lot of Fox talking.  He is a real gentleman, a Mopar Racer, and usually takes home an exhibit award.   

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 10:39:19 AM »
WOW!
KEEP THESE  WONDERFUL PHOTOS COMIN! THESE ARE PRICELESS!!!
Thanks...
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 11:20:52 AM »
In 2996 Bob and I were talking about old ulkies we liked.  I mentioned I'd built a Kenhi Wildcat (1955 version) and would like to do another some day.  About a month later, here come a set of plans from Bob for the original Bobcat and Wildcat and an old old newspaper clipping of young Robert with said Bobcat!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 08:18:34 PM »
Bill..
These old photos are truly amazing...Gads, gads time flies...huh? Wow look at those young kiddies and those haircuts? LL~
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 04:18:20 PM »
Remember the flat top with fenders and a duck butt?  Got that the day before senior pictures were taken.  Also I remember one of my brothers using a clip to put waves in his hair.    Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 09:37:03 AM »
Remember the flat top with fenders and a duck butt?  Got that the day before senior pictures were taken.  Also I remember one of my brothers using a clip to put waves in his hair.    Later,  DOC Holliday
Ha! You mean somethin' like this one when I was a kiddy taken in the dorm room bathroom with my brand new camera?  LL~ LL~ LL~ (when I had hair?)
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here