News:

• April 26, 2024, 04:01:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trukhaniv island, Kiev, Ukraine  (Read 2054 times)

Online Lauri Malila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Trukhaniv island, Kiev, Ukraine
« on: May 24, 2011, 04:33:17 AM »

Hi

On my trip to Kiev World cup event, I went to see the remains of 1962 World Championships site. I wanted to see it because that's where Juhani Kari placed 2nd. The "cordadrome" is situated on a beatifull Trukhaniv island in river Dnjepr, not far from city center.
 Here are some pictures. The stunt circle is still in allmost flyable condition, racing circle not so. We got a little lost when looking for the centre :).

Lauri

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
Re: Trukhaniv island, Kiev, Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 04:36:00 AM »

One more picture. In the background is a sovietic parachute-jumping tower. Dont ask.. L

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:29:23 AM »
That is sad to see a site go to pot.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
What happens when you don't have any modelers to use it. The circles at Flusing Meadow Park (Former Worlds Fair Grounds) have looked as bad. Used to have a 10 foot chain link fence with a securable gate, two maintained Paved circles, Two Grass circles, Snow fencing and a couple of picnic tables and park benches. No been back there since the mid 90's back then all the benches were gone or broken or burnt. Big gaping holes in the chain link, the gate was completely gone as well as the snow fencing. The grass was about thigh high. And the paved circles full of cracks and crumbling asphalt.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:27:46 PM »
 Well, with Trukhaniv site it's understandable, they have a lot better site now (Chayka complex). Nowadays the Trukhaniv island is a a very popular place for outdoor sports and picnic etc. With all the safety fences long gone, I would not risk to fly there. Yuriy told that when the old site was active in 50's/60's, CL was very popular. In the best years, only in Ukrainian championships there were over 200 participants in aerobatics only. I wonder how many there was in Soviet champs.. L

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »
What happens when you don't have any modelers to use it. The circles at Flusing Meadow Park (Former Worlds Fair Grounds) have looked as bad. Used to have a 10 foot chain link fence with a securable gate, two maintained Paved circles, Two Grass circles, Snow fencing and a couple of picnic tables and park benches. No been back there since the mid 90's back then all the benches were gone or broken or burnt. Big gaping holes in the chain link, the gate was completely gone as well as the snow fencing. The grass was about thigh high. And the paved circles full of cracks and crumbling asphalt.

I guess this happens when a person goes on the competition trail and forgets about sport flying at local circle.   I am very guilty of that.  Had about a dozen of us flying at City Park.   Took a weekend to go to a contest.   The next weekend I returned to only three or people showed up.   Went down hill from there.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Neal Beekman

• AMA65006 (Neal B.)
  • Commander
  • Neal Beekman (AMA65006)
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 06:02:02 PM »
Peter you better visit Flushing , stop your mouth , I think your foot is in it. :X mw~
Neal Beekman

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
Lets be nice fellows.   VD~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 07:38:12 PM »
I get "goosebumps" seeing these old sites.
Please show me more of these places!!!!!!
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here