News:

• April 26, 2024, 04:33:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: This winter and beyond........  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
This winter and beyond........
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:33:42 PM »
This coming winter I have decided to build a take apart airplane, for this reason:

I want to be able to fly while I'm at college!!!

As of right now, I'm not sure what plane to build, but I'm brainstorming!  Also, once I get a job somewhere after the NATS, I'm planning on buying a new engine, which will probably be a .61 or .65 RO-Jett or PA, depending on what I can get my hands on.

Here's a couple ideas going through my head:

Another Trivial Pursuit
Thundergazer
A Randy Smith airplane
Impact
My own design, or just change the clothes on the manekin (as Bob Hunt says)

Right now, I think I would want a slightly smaller airplane than my Trivial Pursuit because it would be easier to transport, but then again, I'm going to make it a take apart.  This will be my first scratch build also.

I just thought I would tell you all of my potential plans for this winter, and for college.

PS.  Right now, my first choice is Embry Riddle in Daytona Beach.  Also it looks like we'll be missing another year of Brodak's next year because my cousin is graduating middle school, so we'll go to Muncie again.  But, so long as I don't wind up getting a job my first and 2nd year of college, we should be able to make it to a couple contests.
Matt Colan

larry borden

Re: This winter and beyond........
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:15:22 PM »
Brotherhood of the Ring has info on take aparts. www.brotherhoodofthering.info.

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 04:48:32 PM »
6 months at Daytona, and model airplanes will be a fond memory. You'll see.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 11:16:26 AM »
Go with a Randy plane! They fly great and help will be easy to find. If you like the take apart system in my plane (when you see it ant the Nats) I can help you with any questions you may have. I also have many many pictures that I took during the building process.

Derek

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 11:17:27 AM »
I also have the measurements that you would need to give Dallas Hanna for a Randy plane.

Try to find a PA................

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »
Go with a Randy plane! They fly great and help will be easy to find. If you like the take apart system in my plane (when you see it ant the Nats) I can help you with any questions you may have. I also have many many pictures that I took during the building process.

Derek

I was thinking of a Randy plane.  This would be the last plane I would build for a few years so I would want to make sure it lasts and will be repeatable.

I'm going to talk to grandpa about it tonight when we're at my brother's baseball game.

Matt Colan

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 01:45:54 PM »
The good thing about take aparts is that you can make new parts. A take apart could potentially last forever.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 01:47:59 PM »
The good thing about take aparts is that you can make new parts. A take apart could potentially last forever.

I never thought of that.  Good point!

Take aparts do generally take a little bit longer to build right?
Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 02:38:27 PM »
So I narrowed my choices down to a 60 size Randy plane.  Based on my experience, my Trivial Pursuit doesn't pull that much and it's a pretty big airplane!  Grandpa doesn't want any more 60 size ships because they pull his arm off.  I've flown his P-40 and that plane pulls quite a bit, which makes me think there's something wrong with the trim on that plane, because my big plane pulls considerably less!

I'm thinking an SV-22, or an Evolution or Tempest II right now with a PA 61 or 65
Matt Colan

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 08:02:17 PM »
Matt,
Take a close look at Bob Hunt's "Crossfire" at the Nats.  You will be impressed. He has a IC version, but don't be surprised to see 2 electrics in the top 5. (Walker and Hunt) The lack of noise might help wherever you go to college.
AMA 7544

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »
Matt,
Take a close look at Bob Hunt's "Crossfire" at the Nats.  You will be impressed. He has a IC version, but don't be surprised to see 2 electrics in the top 5. (Walker and Hunt) The lack of noise might help wherever you go to college.

Hi Tom,

I really like the Crossfire!!!  I even drew up a 1/4 scale sketch of a take off of it, but it has a lot of the Crossfire influence!  The issue I would have with electrics is that there's nobody up here that uses electric (there's only two of us).

Right now, my options are still kind of up in the air since it's still June, but it's nice to think ahead! #^
Matt Colan

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 04:55:15 AM »
Yea Matt, don't be influenced into electric. I think those guys still have a long way to go to be comparable to IC. Of course they see it differently. The motor has NOTHING to do with flying ability! Paul could fly an oil soaked nobler with a fox 35 and still make the top 5. I have not seen an electric that even comes close to a PA.

Derek

Tom, nothing against Bob but, it will be very hard to make the top 5 with a brand new plane that has very few flights on it. I don't care how good you are this is going to be one of the hardest Nats ever!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:06:21 AM by Derek Barry »

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »
Matt,
Like I said, there is an IC version of the Crossfire. It is just a great looking airplane that looks different than others. I am not knocking any of Randy's airplanes either. They are very good airplanes with a very long evolution.

Derek,
Don't under estimate Bobby. And I agree that Paul could win with just about anything. I always tell people that the most sophisticated, most expensive equipment, still does not guarantee a win. it is the dedication, practice, and even natural ability of the guy holding the handle that makes the difference.

I also agree that this Nats is shaping up to be one of the most competitive.  I wish that I could be there. Good luck to you.
AMA 7544

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 04:22:25 PM »
Matt,
Like I said, there is an IC version of the Crossfire. It is just a great looking airplane that looks different than others. I am not knocking any of Randy's airplanes either. They are very good airplanes with a very long evolution.

Hi Tom,

I agree, it is a fantastic looking airplane, and obviously flies great too!!

I did come up with something cool to incorporate into my next plane that I don't think has been done before, I won't disclose anything else other than that at this time because I want to make sure it will work.  ;D
Matt Colan

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 04:20:51 AM »
Matt,

Derek,
Don't under estimate Bobby. And I agree that Paul could win with just about anything. I always tell people that the most sophisticated, most expensive equipment, still does not guarantee a win. it is the dedication, practice, and even natural ability of the guy holding the handle that makes the difference.

I also agree that this Nats is shaping up to be one of the most competitive.  I wish that I could be there. Good luck to you.

Thanks Tom!

Derek

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 02:36:56 PM »
While at the awards banquet, Les McDonald got up to the podium and began telling a story how some United Airline's pilot went a little nuts and sent him a Thundergazer kit and a brand new PA 75 and pipe.  Les said he wasn't going to build it, and was going to give them away.

Les decided to give the Thundergazer kit to me and the PA 75 to Ryan Young, who was battling engine problems all week.  This is the plane that I'm going to build this winter, as a take apart and I'm going to get a special "Brett Buck" RO-Jett 61 for this plane.

I am going to try my hardest to make it to the team trials in September, we're just going to make sure the planets are alligned just right before we tell my mother about it.

Thanks again Les, and it was really great to meet you finally!  That story about driving around Holland with Geiseke right behind you was really funny! H^^
Matt Colan

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 06:50:35 AM »
Matt,
That couldn't be better.

While we all would like to see Les fly again, we also understand his reasons for not doing so.

Les is one of the great guys in our sport and an even better friend to so many of us. He is very special.

David is also Top Notch. We are all better for having those guys.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:07:35 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here