News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:30:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sir Thomas of Luper  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Sir Thomas of Luper
« on: September 17, 2007, 09:13:33 AM »
Hi All,

I have Tommy Luper as *STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY*!  Some of you know Tommy.  He is a regular in the SE.  If I am not mistaken, he is a Past NATS Champ in OTS.  He also is a leading Classic and Expert level flier who has won the KOI recently.  I accuse him of having an unfair advantage (he has absolutely outstanding bottoms at 4' constantly) since is somewhat "vertically challenged"!   He holds his arm out straight and it's at 4' (or maybe even less! LOL!!)

Tommy took several years and just concentrated on OTS becoming VERY proficient.  I know his Contest record goes back over 30 years to the old Southeastern Regional held in Winston Salem. 

Tommy has been suffering a recurrence of an old back injury he suffered years ago, but we all hope he can get that taken care of.

A finer gentleman you will not find!  A joy to be around and a heck of a stunt pilot who is always willing to help and share.  A gentleman who is always a joy to be around!

I hope to find some pictures when I get home of Thomas and post them here.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
Re: Sir Thomas of Luper
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 08:26:55 AM »
Sounds like a guy I would like to meet. I always need help and sounds like a person of my ststure. Maybe this belongs in the short people post HB~>

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 03:17:22 PM »
Hi Guys,
My ole buddy Tommy! I have known Tommy for some 30 years and he is definitely one of the good guys who always has a warm and welcoming smile and a kind or funny remark no matter what is going on in his life.

Expert flyers who watched Tommy fly repeatedly said to me that with his great natural talent , if he would only "go for it" and put in all the time with proper coaching he would win the nationals  and make the world team.
They said that to me 30 years ago and they still say that to me today. Tommy is very "good".
 Tommy "didn't go for it" back then because he does things his own way, and he never lost sight of the fact, that flying stunt planes is about having fun.

Tom is such a genuinely modest person, I don't think he has any idea how "good" a flyer he really, truly  and actually is , he can see his flaws far better than his excellence. Perhaps that modesty has played a part in keeping him away from a lot of the big meets  but even though I think the stunt world is probably the poorer for Tommy's absence, I would never think to question Tommy's choices.

Tommy is also an excellent designer of beautiful airplanes and is a meticulous craftsman at building great airplanes and fortunately he does seem to take some pride and satisfaction in his wonderful designs, despite all his natural modesty.

Tommy Luper embodies all the positive and wonderful attributes that are a part of the word, "Gentleman".   I am quite sure that Tommy doesn't believe that he deserves all the praise that he is getting in this thread but the people that know him are very sure he does.

Tommy, my long time friend; May God bless you and all the best to you in your life.                                                      God Bless,
                                                                Pat Robinson

P.S. The tall sidekick mentioned is Phillip Bailey and he and Tom have flown together for years.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 08:56:09 AM »
Philip has had a good bit of wrist problems (flying hand) and has pretty much recovered from surgery on it.  He is on th ecomeback trail now.  He came to the house for a weekend to do the "one weekend USA-1 build"!

Tommy is truly one of the finest friends I have ever had to joy of knowing.

What PAt R. said as to Tomy's ailities is not an exaggeration.  I have had a former WC tell me that, "Tom Luper is a VERY GOOD pilot".  His OTS NATS Championship ot withstanding, he could really make a dent in the Top 5 if he would spend a *little* time with a modern plane.

Several years ago, when Kaz Minato was living in the US, there was a meet in Winston Salem.  Several top level stunt pilots were there.  Tommy finished second in Expert to Kaz but just a couple points.  What's so strange about that?   Tommy was flying a ST 60 powered PROFILE Hellcat!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 03:35:19 PM »
I have a picture somewhere of a past Northwest Regionals. It shows Leo Mehl, Chris Cox, Pat Johnston, Bob Smiley and Alan Resinger all standing together looking as something (not sure what). They are all about the same height. It's and interesting picture since Bruce Hunt is standing behind them and doesn't have any trouble seeing the sight himself ... over their heads ... by a lot.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 07:12:15 PM »
When I think "Gentleman", Tommy Luper comes to mind.....

Actually, Tommy reminds me a little of Robert E Lee...

Steve
Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here