News:

• May 03, 2024, 04:06:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rebel Stunt Grinder Leo  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
Rebel Stunt Grinder Leo
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »
It's been my pleasure for the past twelve years to know LEO MEHL. Leo was one of the flyer's in the begging that spent the time to help me grow in the hobby. He opened up with information when others where closed mouth and wouldn't give you the time of day. In the late 1990's Bill Veselik, Leo and I where always at the field putting in flight after flights. ("THE THREE AMEGOS") One year alone I went through 43 gallons of Sig Fuel. Thats a lot of flying and running engines. Leo has a lot to give for those who need to know. Even if it's a little out there, he's a lot closer to the right answer then you where before. Leo never fails in his building nor his flying. At 75 plus years of age he's still building planes at a stagering rate. His new/old REBEL is a winner. Great looking plane with all of the right numbers. Leo still finds time for anyone that needs it. Riding bikes, cameras, and grandkids, Leo has a good life. Leo is my friend! He makes me a better person. I hope that in someway Leo has touched you as he has me.... b1 y1

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:41:20 AM by Shultzie »
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Rebel Stunt Grinder Leo
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 08:55:38 AM »
Yepp, gotta agree Scott, Leo is a Gem! well ok so maybe a rhinestone,,,  LL~
I always enjoy having Leo flip me crap at contests and his random phone calls are appreciated too especially out here in no mans land of eastern washington. NOw when he grows up and learns to fly the right direction he will be a totally great guy,,,  H^^
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:05:30 AM »
It was my great pleasure to meet Leo when I was out in Portland last fall.  He looks gruff and gnarly- and then you see him smile! At that point you know he is someone who is enjoying life and modeling.

The gang at Delta Park welcomed me warmly and put me at ease. Watching Leo put his plane through the paces clockwise was a treat. For some reason I found myself looking at the entry / exit more than usual, maybe because the plane was coming around from the "wrong" direction.

Good luck at VSC Leo- I wish I was going- but I just got to Portland on Monday for a week, and haven't made it out to the circle yet due to work.

I added a pic showing Leo and his new Rebel- level flight lower than the brim of his hat and solid as a rock and chasing it's shadow across the circle. Man that plane looks great in the air.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:28:47 PM by Bill Heher »
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:40:44 AM »
My brother Leo!!
You have always been there for me....starting waaaaaaaaaay back in the early "Hippeee" 60's when we both lived only blocks away from each other up in the Portland NW Flanders "FlowerChild District.

Hey gang...when you look carefully at the latest photo of Leo and his beautiful timeless Rebel Flying Artwork...except for that baseball hat instead of his  trade mark  Cowboy hat  n' "face-fuzzzz" Leo still lookin purty good.

Speaking of LOOKIN GOOD!
That New REBEL is a real beauty....have a great trip to VSC and don't forget to take the sunblock!
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 09:24:29 AM »
You guys are making anxious to get to VSC to meet the man.  Met Randy Powel, Cunya and so many others that the old grey matter is failing me.  I know as soon as I post this all the great people that let me dine with them at the banquet will come to me.  I will try my best to take pictures this year.   DOC Holliday

PS:Will have to print off a picture so I can reconize him,  hope leaves grass skirts at home.  jeh
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 02:45:11 PM »
Doc,

It was great meeting you. Wish I could be there this year, but will make it next year for sure.

Say hello to Leo for me.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 09:40:10 PM »
Met Helmick today.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 09:48:28 AM »
Met Helmick today.  DOC Holliday
LL~ LL~I too was aflicked' the same way when I first met Steve our beloved good will ambassador of control line! LL~ HE LEFT ME SPEECHLESS...and for SHULTZIE..THAT'S A MOUTHFULL!!!
Tell him to take care of that gimpie leg of his...and don't feed him too much GREENBEER today in honor of SaintPitttypatty's day?  We miss his presence round here...(He has given soooo much to sooo many of us "old guys round these NW WOODS. LL~

TELL STEVE TO TAKE SOME OF YOUR USUAL BEAUTIFUL PICTURES FOR ALL US UNWORTHIES!!!
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 04:23:25 PM »
LL~ LL~I too was aflicked' the same way when I first met Steve our beloved good will ambassador of control line! LL~ HE LEFT ME SPEECHLESS...and for SHULTZIE..THAT'S A MOUTHFULL!!!
Tell him to take care of that gimpie leg of his...and don't feed him too much GREENBEER today in honor of SaintPitttypatty's day?  We miss his presence round here...(He has given soooo much to sooo many of us "old guys round these NW WOODS. LL~

TELL STEVE TO TAKE SOME OF YOUR USUAL BEAUTIFUL PICTURES FOR ALL US UNWORTHIES!!!

Me beeing what I am I spilled beer all over this cap of Steves at VSC he wasn't to mad at the cap thing but he was a little upset by the fact that he was short a couple of gulps of the stuff and also because I was sitting in his chair that he was going to put his feet on. I would probably do the same thing again if I had the chance but I would hide the chair. HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 04:26:56 PM »
Me being what I am I spilled beer all over this cap of Steves at VSC he wasn't to mad at the cap thing but he was a little upset by the fact that he was short a couple of gulps of the stuff and also because I was sitting in his chair that he was going to put his feet on. I would probably do the same thing again if I had the chance but I would hide the chair. HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 04:58:35 PM »

WELCOME HOME...LEO!!! and the rest of you NW gang  of round n' rounders....
No problemo...I will put an extra brew in the trunk the next time I stop bye THE NARROWS FLYING SITE for our friend Steve.
Hope Steve took care of that bummed out leg of his...nothing is worse than sittin n' travelin in a car for hours and hours...even worse when you ol' bod is botherin ya! HB~>
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 07:44:49 PM »
Some where I lost the picture I had taken of Leo and his Nobler.  He did a great job flying it.  He also reminded me that we had met way back when I had the Staggerwing at an earlier VSC.  It was great getting to meet and chum around with the gentlemen from the NW part of this great country.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 06:47:34 PM »
Geez, Doc...I met you two years ago, at VSC 19!  I finally met Pete Cunya, tho I had to chase him down to do so.  Marvin Denny, Jim Lee, and others were easy to meet at breakfast. Got to meet a bunch of others. Maybe I will remember, when I look at the results. Randy Smith didn't arrive, but Big Art and Dave Adamisin did. Both were fun and easy to talk to, as was Jack Sheeks. Everybody needs to go to VSC at least once... #^ Steve

PS: Leo was on his best behavior at VSC 21. Except for spilling my Fosters, that is!  LL~
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 10:41:57 PM »
Geez, Doc...I met you two years ago, at VSC 19!  I finally met Pete Cunya, tho I had to chase him down to do so.  Marvin Denny, Jim Lee, and others were easy to meet at breakfast. Got to meet a bunch of others. Maybe I will remember, when I look at the results. Randy Smith didn't arrive, but Big Art and Dave Adamisin did. Both were fun and easy to talk to, as was Jack Sheeks. Everybody needs to go to VSC at least once... #^ Steve

PS: Leo was on his best behavior at VSC 21. Except for spilling my Fosters, that is!  LL~
I would like to say I did it on purpose but I don't want to get your heart rate up too high. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~>
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 11:04:33 AM by Shultzie »

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 07:34:19 PM »
I just met Leo at this years VSC. Total model guy and gentleman extraordinaire. The man kept big and I in gas money all the way home....... a quarter at a time. Thanks Leo, I'm honored to have finally met you and had the time to talk planes and life.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 11:47:36 PM »
I just met Leo at this years VSC. Total model guy and gentleman extraordinaire. The man kept big and I in gas money all the way home....... a quarter at a time. Thanks Leo, I'm honored to have finally met you and had the time to talk planes and life.
It's easy to talk to gentlemen like you don't you kmow. I am glad you made it home OK. now we both can relax for a while. Talk to you later my friend. H^^ H^^ H^^ HB~>

Offline Neal Kinsinger

• New Pilot
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 12:24:17 PM »
Man you guys have  all the luck

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here