News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:44:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RALPH WENZEL...THANKS for the memories...Until we meet again.  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
RALPH WENZEL...THANKS for the memories...Until we meet again.
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:59:02 PM »
 We were informed that our beloved brotha in modeling, Ralph Wenzel....passed this life into the arms of the angels this last Christmas morning. So many of us have had the pleasure of not only getting to know Ralph and Sharon on a personal note, but like so many the internet has given each and everyone of us a chance to cross pathways into this gifted human being that too...just loves anything that flies or "hath wings!"

I would like to thank everyone for post their thoughts and prayers...to his beloved wife Sharon and his family.
Speaking of family...everyone who had the opportunity to talk or share moments on Stunt Hanger's Sparky's site..feel a huge vacumn and loss.

So with that...LET'S MAKE OUR RALPH WENZEL...STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY.
Let me start this off...with a beautifully written E letter from one of his long time friends in modeling that he shared with me in an instant message.

THANK YOU, WES EAKIN! for letting me share this letter.

Shultzie..."OK...I'LL GIVE IT A GO......

Ralph and I lived in a corner house near the UK campus. Had a small slate patio, big enough for a grill and a chair. Backyard was almost big enough to spit across...all contained by a high hedge that served as a privacy fence.

In the basement is where the fun stuff was located. Built Team Racers, Lew McF "SHARK BATS"
and brewed his own "HOOTCH."
On weekends we would sometimes swap "wheels." My Yamaha RD-350B for his VW Karmangia. He liked the fact that the bike would go 0 to 60 in 4.2 seconds!

The big Malls in Lex. were closer than the club field, so on a given Sunday afternoon, we drove to the various Malls to test and practice Team Racing in the far ends of the parking lots. We could get about 6-8 flights in before the Cops chased us to the NEXT MALL.

Ralph and I were members of the Lexington Model Airplane Club, (LMAC) in Lexington. KY. The club field that time was out Kearney Road. So more practice was always closer to home. When UK built the new football stadium, the LMAC put on flying demonstrations before the firework began on the 4th of July. During one demo, Ralph, Blair, and I flew 3 up slow combat with the "SHARK BATS." All flying procedures wer discussed ahead of time as to maximize the cuts and taking turns at each others streamers.
"WELL....THAT LASTED ONLY ABOUT 15 SECONDS!" The thrill of combat is not to be taken lightly.
Lines got tangled, streamers got cut...lines got cut...legs got wrapped.
("Duck n' Cover" edited by Shultzie..in order not to alarm the more faint of heart!)

Yes, as many have indicated, they knew RALPH WENZEL "On-line" and RALPH WAS EVERYTHING AND MORE...THEY REMEMBERED.

YES! HE WILL INDEED BE GREATLY MISSED!"

(attached again are a few photos from the discussion board and from his many friends in modeling.
Let's keep The Wenzel's in our hearts and prayers...and SHARE SOME OF YOUR OWN "RALPH" stories...
Don Shultz

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: RALPH WENZEL...THANKS for the memories...Until we meet again.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 07:50:14 PM »
Just an FYI....the last two pictures are pretty recent photos taken at the Ringmaster Roundup in Houston, Scobee Field. Finding ourselves a little short on timers/lapcounters, the Wenzels were more than happy to do the job, greatly appreciated by everyone.   dg

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here