News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:36:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lucky Pyatt  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Fred Vander Hoek

• VanCam
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Lucky Pyatt
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:47:05 AM »
 I am new here and have been looking through a lot of the threads trying to catch up on things in the Control Line Stunt world. I have not been active in control line for quite a few years. Now, that I'm retired, I am looking to start anew in this great hobby. I was stunned to find out that Lucky Pyatt has passed away some time ago.
  I first met Lucky when I was joining up in a new control line club around 63-64 in the LA area started by Virgil Wilbur and, Robbie Robertson. Lucky and I were the same age (Teenagers) and so we became friends. One day Lucky says to me, do you want to meet Tom Warden? Sure, I says. So we rode over to Tom's place on my Honda 50. Tom wasn't home that day (probably working) but, Lucky and I peeked into the garage door window and were checking out all of Tom's planes hanging on the garage wall. Pretty impressive indeed. I got to meet up with Lucky and his lovely wife again in the mid 70s when, I joined up with the Southern California 500 Stunt Club. I was only a member for about a year. My wife and I were getting into real estate then and, moved to Riverside. Owning rentals kept me pretty busy and so I had to put the hobby on the back burner. Are there any other good stories about Lucky any of you would like to share?
Best Regards,
~Fred 

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
Re: Lucky Pyatt
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 11:10:37 PM »
I am new here and have been looking through a lot of the threads trying to catch up on things in the Control Line Stunt world. I have not been active in control line for quite a few years. Now, that I'm retired, I am looking to start anew in this great hobby. I was stunned to find out that Lucky Pyatt has passed away some time ago.
  I first met Lucky when I was joining up in a new control line club around 63-64 in the LA area started by Virgil Wilbur and, Robbie Robertson. Lucky and I were the same age (Teenagers) and so we became friends. One day Lucky says to me, do you want to meet Tom Warden? Sure, I says. So we rode over to Tom's place on my Honda 50. Tom wasn't home that day (probably working) but, Lucky and I peeked into the garage door window and were checking out all of Tom's planes hanging on the garage wall. Pretty impressive indeed. I got to meet up with Lucky and his lovely wife again in the mid 70s when, I joined up with the Southern California 500 Stunt Club. I was only a member for about a year. My wife and I were getting into real estate then and, moved to Riverside. Owning rentals kept me pretty busy and so I had to put the hobby on the back burner. Are there any other good stories about Lucky any of you would like to share?
Best Regards,
~Fred 

The thing about Lucky that many people who maybe were not close to him don't know or remember was his great sense of humor.  He could crack you up with some offhand comment.  Lucky served in the U.S. Air Force and was quietly proud of that.  He was an excellent model builder and a very intelligent guy; in fact, he was the head IT guy for Cal Trans here.  He and his wife Rickii were very supportive of each other & were great people to be around.  Lucky passed on in January 2006, and I still miss the guy a lot.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 08:13:02 AM »
Yes, they were a pair.  Hardly seen one without the other.  Didn't really get to talk to Lucky that much but, that zany wife of his is one of the best.  She stuck with him all the way.  She has even started judging in order to stay close to model airplane family.  She is also one great photographer and I wonder if Elwyn took lessons from her.  Still get Christmas cards from her with a picture of a previous VSC.  Yes Lucky Pyatt is very missed and I try my best to remember him from the years he was still healthy. :'(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 08:50:45 PM »
I've been to two VSC's, both since Lucky's passing. So, I never got to meet Lucky. I met Rikki at both VSC's, saw her taking pictures, and hosting the evening party each year, at her house.  I'm pretty sure that's why Lucky got his nickname. Could be wrong, but that's my thinkin', and I'm stickin' to it.  :) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bart Klapinski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 12:45:45 AM »

I knew Lucky for many years and we did a lot of flying together when we both lived in Southern California. I was very honored when he and his lovely bride,Rickii, moved next door to me in Tucson Arizona. Lucky and I had quite a few plans that,unfortunately, never came to fruition. His illness came quickly and nothing could be done. Lucky was intelligent and also one of the funniest men I ever knew. He is sorely missed. Rickii is still next door and I talk with her very often. She is a big blessing in my life as she is to so many others. The rest has been well said by others in this forum.

Bart Klapinski

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here