News:

• May 01, 2024, 02:31:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Larry Scarinzi -  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Larry Scarinzi -
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:26:43 AM »
I see Larry (and his wife) every year at Brodak's, the MECA Expo, and Toldeo.  What a guy and what stories.  Like Duke Fox stuffing basswood into the intake of the Fox 59 of his Blue Angel to get power and lap times right.
I started getting model mags in 1955 and it seemed like every other month there was a Scarinzi ukie in one of them.  Larry was there in the New Jersey with the other names you read about in stunt history.  Larry and Duke Fox were close friends and Larry was very instrumental in the design of the Fox 36X.  Larry used to go down to Fort Smith and test fly combat engines behind Fox's factory. 

The picture was taken in 2006 in Muncie at the MECA convention.  Larry of course is on the right and if this were a column for free flight the guy beside him would be at the top, Sal Taibi.  I got to eat dinner with both of them together; geez I wish I had a tape recorder.

Offline Dave Denison

• Commander
Re: Larry Scarinzi -
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 08:58:11 PM »
WOW!!...L.Scarinzi......There, is a man that is a true legend in his own time. I wish I still had all the stunt article clipping I had saved from over the years on that great man.   His designs gave me fantastic ideas!!!

REGARDS.   DAVE.
Regards
Dave

ama 41041

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 09:14:05 PM »
Oh Donald do...

The retract Crusader was Harold Price's design! Larry's were the Blue Angel, Trident, Gay Devil, Grey Ghost, Sky Devil, Jolly Roger, Queen Bee, Greased Lightning, Werewolf, Devil Dart, Shriek, Sportcoupe, Jolly Flapper, Super Flapper, Blast, Giant Killer, Jersey Bounce, Killer, Termite, Tor Rat, Hatchet, Sting Ray (Never published, but just wait a short while...), Lethal Blast , Kool KAt and about a dozen others that I can't recall off the top of my aging head.

That's okay, Harold was a genius too!

Bob Hunt

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 09:39:20 PM »
The first time I relly got to know Larry was some years ago at a Huntersville meet.  He had an El Diablo whose maroon Aerogloss flames were smearing off of (bleeding).  I didn't know it until AFTER I launched it!  Then i saw my fingers......

I love the guy, he's always a blast to be around!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 09:50:46 PM »
here he is at Brodaks 2007 getting ready to fuel up his little .15 powered combat ship.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 09:58:24 AM »
I first met Larry at the 64 Grand Prairie NAS NATS.  He was one of a few big time modelers that would even talk to this relocated farm boy.  Doubt if he remembers the Navy MP dropping his night stick/billy club.  Later, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 10:05:35 AM »
Oh Donald do...

The retract Crusader was Harold Price's design! Larry's were the Blue Angel, Trident, Gay Devil, Grey Ghost, Sky Devil, Jolly Roger, Queen Bee, Greased Lightning, Werewolf, Devil Dart, Shriek, Sportcoupe, Jolly Flapper, Super Flapper, Blast, Giant Killer, Jersey Bounce, Killer, Termite, Tor Rat, Hatchet, Sting Ray (Never published, but just wait a short while...), Lethal Blast , Kool KAt and about a dozen others that I can't recall off the top of my aging head.

That's okay, Harold was a genius too!

Bob Hunt
Thanks for correcting my mistake. Yes, Both Harold and Larry are truly Icons with so many great  innovative ideas that they have brought to our building tables,huh?

OPPS! TALK ABOUT A BRAIN FART...GADS! Just a sign of both short and long term memory loss from too many BudLites...and sniff paint fumes LL~
How could I forget just how nicely that beautiful Blue Angel of his (built by my old buddy Bob Kautsman from Yakima let me test ride..waaay back about a hun-terd' years ago.
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here