News:

• May 12, 2024, 12:01:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: JIM VANLOO...slide scan grunt of the day.  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
JIM VANLOO...slide scan grunt of the day.
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:40:49 AM »
While shuffling around in my box of slides from the 67 through the 69 Nats...I found about a dozen or more slides of Jim Van Loo beautiful Chipmunk.
 Mike Stott's winning flight with his Chipmunk at the  nats also led to a long partnership with Sig who then produced many high quality CLPA kits that proved to be so successful in the stunt competition circles...all over planet Earth.

Yesterday at the Narrows airport....after seeing the beautiful VanLoo Chipmunk built and flown to perfection by Pete Peterson yesterday, what better choice for a Stunt Grunt of the day today that Jim Van Loo's Chipmunk series  of 1967-68 and 69.

Jim was always one of the most dynamic and fun flyers that I have ever met but also was always available to led a helping hand.
Hey Gang!
  SO WHY NOT JUST JUMP IN HERE AND ADD A FEW THOUGHTS ABOUT OUR JIMMY VANLOO!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:13:06 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
Re: JIM VANLOO...slide scan grunt of the day.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 07:32:33 AM »
Schultzie,

Thanks for the great pics of the early Chipmunks.  Good sharp pics as usual, and the color is really good for their age (did you do some photoshop magic on them?).

The 3rd pic, titled "VanLoo in the staging area.jpg" is actually Mike Stott's Chipmunk.  Notice the 17085 AMA number on Mike's airplane .. Jim's AMA number is 822. 

Do you reckon the picture of Mike's Chipmunk was taken in '68 or '69?  He flew it at both those NATS.  My guess would be 1968.  Notice the wide white stripes on the runway that appear in both your pic of the Stott airplane and in the Chris McMillin pic on this web site .. http://members.zumatel.net/mdgretz/1968nats.htm

Schultzie, were you at the '67 NATS in california?  The reason I ask is that dating some of these old Chipmunk pictures from the '67-'69 era has been a bit of a guessing game.  Most of the dates in my timeline of Chipmunk evolution are certain ( http://members.zumatel.net/mdgretz/Chipmunk.htm - are certain ) but a couple are "best guess" from Jim and Mike and myself.

For instance, we know for certain that Jim flew the Chipmunk in your first two pictures at the '67 NATS.  There is a picture of the airplane in the '67 NATS coverage in the November 1967 Model Airplane News - see http://members.zumatel.net/mdgretz/mannov1967.htm 

He may have also flown the same airplane in '68, but I don't think so.  I believe he flew the airplane with the blue checkers on top in '68.

Another certainty is that Mike flew his Chipmunk in both the '68 and '69 NATS. 

Both Jim and Mike are a little foggy about the dates at this stage in their lives (aren't we all!).  Just recently Mike was gathering some info for PAMPA historian Wynn Paul, and he started to question which model he flew at the '67 NATS in california?  He's not certain.  He may have been flying his Phantom Foam Stunter a second time, or a maroon Foam-Flite winged Nobler, or the Chipmunk.  If it was the Chipmunk, that throws off the timeline that we deciphered before for my web site. 

Input from you and others who were there in '67, '68, and '69 are helpful.  So check again on the dates of your slides and let me know what you find.

Mike G

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:48:41 AM »
Mike..
After checking the slides carefully...after trying to line up the slide mount #s as well as the photos...
Let me throw another slide showing VanLoo flying with the Chipmunk with the blue Checks..with the judges sitting with the butts glued to those folding chairs and that one is on the slide series showing Chris and Jerry across the field in this shot with VanLoo doin his qualification flight (note the clothes and the blue checkerboards on that wing?
Guess that led me to believe this was the 69 nats? Yes...I noted the Ama # also?

The articles in the magazines  hopefully prove or seem to clear up any time frame...so with that
Guess 2 or more stuntgrunts gathered in the name of stunt-dumb clarity...hopefully will add the clarification test of time needed.
That is why (thanks to you Mike) I clicked back and MODIFIED MYORIGNAL POST...ALSO CHECK THOSE WILD CLOTHING THAT SO MANY OF US OL' DEMENT STUNTGRUNTS WORE...Any thing from NURSE MAID WHITES..TO SILLY CHECKERED BURMUDA SHORTS AND BLACK SOCKS...ETC LL~ LL~ also add a dose of  Freakin' reakin'-reality time frame of those daze days gone bye. H^^ n~
(also looks like my new Epson scanner V-300 cheapy...is now show a funny streak of green light on every slide? Guess I need to package it up and return it to BEST BUY (or is that WORST BUY?) for another one before my 30 day return burns out?

Don Shultz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »
Shultzie,

So does that landscape look more like Kansas ('68) or Pennsylvania ('69)?  My guess is Kansas.  '69 wasn't that sunny, was it?

Mike

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:11:15 PM »
Shultzie,

Keep the Chipmunk pics coming (even with the green stripe).

Mike

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 02:07:26 PM »
Shultzie,

So does that landscape look more like Kansas ('68) or Pennsylvania ('69)?  My guess is Kansas.  '69 wasn't that sunny, was it?

Mike

I agree..that this has to be Kansas...(look at the Jerry's yellow shirt in that close up slide) but maybe Chris changed his yellow shirt...(you know how kiddies can drool up any T shirt in an instant? LL~
Perhaps Chris had his mind on "that ice cream cone" that the Navy folks were giving to so many of the kids hat year in Olatha...
HEY CHRIS....Lets go with Chris's brain...mine has proven to be somewhat.. (maybe more than just somewhat) foggy...from too many years of sniffin paint fumes and cheap Raaaaainer Light beer. Uhhh? Beer...perhap it was all cheap beer that Billy W, Dave Gierke....etc were known to suck up in great quanities after those hot daze-days on the 68 nats tarmac from the hot pits of hell could have started that depravity? VD~
67-68-69 etc..sadly somehow...seem kinda all blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred into one lately.

Actually the sun was around in 69 but always clouded up in the afternoon at Philly. Both Kansas and Philly in the summer often have humiteee' in the high double Ds... :P
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:51:18 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 06:23:44 PM »
Tup It's Kansa and that yellow is the top soil blowing in the wind. Good shot Shultzie. Or maybe its eastern Montana???!!@@ HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:02:41 PM »
Hi guys,
Is it an optical illusion or is Jim Van Loo's Chipmunk wing slightly longer than the Sig kit? - Interesting.

Great pictures O' Ye "slide-master" Donaldo.

I have a suggestion for the good folks at SIG. What about producing a limited run 40th Anniversary "Special Edition" of the Jim Van Loo kit. You could modernize it by substituting fiberglass for the wheel pants and cowl for the plastic versions and upgrading the controls and etc. Use the currently produced wing and laser cut any other parts specific to the Van Loo version. Use Stunt News and the forums to pre-sell a gaggle of them like the cottage guys do before you even start cutting wood. Raise price to reflect the kit's upgrades and status as a"Limited edition" product that should also bring kit collectors out of the woodwork as buyers. Would anyone else like to have a kit like this, especially all the guys who missed out on getting Walters great kit?  Hummmmm?

Pat Robinson

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 09:18:20 AM »
The 1968 Olathe Navel Air Station is in good old breezy Kansas.  I skipped work one day to go see a few people that I knew would be there.  It was also the first year for RC Pylon racing.  Local lad, Tommy Cooper was supposed to win Junior that year, but, let contest jitters get to him.  Seen Jim Van Loo at the local swap meet here in KC and he looks to be in good health.  Couldn't get his attention to say hi.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 12:18:26 AM »
Holy Cow, Donaldo!
It looks like Olathe.
Mike,
Jim's model had blue checkers then. I think Mike's was brand new for '68. I'll try Rick Loomis or Bob Harness for their recollections on '67 Senior. I just remember Rick winning with Two Bits.
Chris...

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 09:43:38 PM »
Holy Cow, Donaldo!
It looks like Olathe.
Mike,
Jim's model had blue checkers then. I think Mike's was brand new for '68. I'll try Rick Loomis or Bob Harness for their recollections on '67 Senior. I just remember Rick winning with Two Bits.
Chris...

Yes...Rick had that big PUSH PULLIN BRIGHT YELLOW BAAAANAAANNNAAAN MONSTER..
What a cool sound those twin K&B's made.
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here