News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:54:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How about Stunt Grunt Don Shultz?  (Read 5412 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
How about Stunt Grunt Don Shultz?
« on: January 02, 2007, 10:52:52 AM »
I'd love to see some more pictures of Don's planes. I've only met Don once in person and that was many years ago and I'm sure he doesn't remember, but I was always impressed with his workmanship, finishes and competitiveness.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: How about Stunt Grunt Don Shultz?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:09:15 PM »
I'd love to see some more pictures of Don's planes. I've only met Don once in person and that was many years ago and I'm sure he doesn't remember, but I was always impressed with his workmanship, finishes and competitiveness.
Thanks for suggesting me...but I do not deserve the lofty honor to post this as grunt of the day, year or even this minute.

Randy!
I do remember you....from the good ol' Boeing Aerospace Center flyin fields that are gone...kinda like my memory.
I have lots n' lots of photos of my old tattered stuff..and a few photos of my better lookin' and flying models.
Guess I should put only one of my favorites models..that was published in American Aircraft modeler July 1974 issue...
I made only 3 of these models...One that I flew and chopped to pieces making changes..the other one published in the magazine...and my last one...using a beautifully crafted BOB HUNT FOAM WING! THAT WAS TRULY A PIECE OF PERFECTION, on an FAI lightweight Avenger that was kinda wasted by using WHITE MONO COAT

(FORGIVE ME BOB HUNT...! I WAS NOT WORTHY)

I did give my best effort on the fuselage...and trim, but kicked my buttskis ever since by not going to the effort to really put the finishing skills (dimmed by too many overtime hours working on windtunnel fluttermodels) which burnt me out badly...when I got home from work. 12 hours of overtime...then spending freewilly time, putting a finish and effort into a stunt model...WAS MY DOWNFALL!!!!

Photos show my main test pilot and CEO CFO MISSEEEMAASSSSA CAROL. my beloved.
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 03:18:11 PM »
See, a man after my own heart. We need to get together so I can steal, uh, that is, see some of your stuff. Love to look over those pictures.  :)

I remember a metallic red, white and blue job you flew at Boeing. Hey, I was impressed.

The Avenger is very cool. Sort of a cross between an Fanchiation and a Stingray. Sweet!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 03:24:58 PM »
BAAAAAAD-EXILED DON!!!!
How could I have forgotten to mention how this article was all made possible...
First the encouragement and long long long snailmails to my mentor and truly deserving STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY....BOB GIALDINI!!!! WITHOUT HIS INSPIRATION AND FOLLOWING IN HIS HUGE HUGE HUGE N' AWESOME FOOTSTEPS! (which will never be filled by me....or a kaaajilliion other worthy model ICONS!
FORGIVE THE CHEEZE PHOTO OF ME IN MY NURSE MAID'S OUTFIT!!!!
The last photo is of THE REAL THING BABY!!!!
BOB'S WORLD CLASS WINNING "STING RAY!"

I found one more photo of Dawn Kausmello'(spullin?)
This one taken before Dawn gave ma'Ray a test flight.  LVme..LVmy StingRay....Naw! Although Dawn loved my airplane...see seemed far and away more interesting in Mike Stott, who placed first in Senior and Dawn was 2nd. (According to Bob Parker..she was too young for both of us ol' girl watchers:)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 01:15:23 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 03:27:54 PM »
The Avenger certainly shows the influence of the Stingray.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 03:38:45 PM »
The Avenger certainly shows the influence of the Stingray.
Better believe it.....check out the plans....etc?
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 03:41:41 PM »
I sure did. A swept forward TE and high aspect ratio? We certainly think alike. Interesting approach. How did it fly?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 04:02:18 PM »
Thanks for suggesting me...but I do not deserve the lofty honor to post this as grunt of the day, year or even this minute.

I did give my best effort on the fuselage...and trim, but kicked my buttskis ever since by not going to the effort to really put the finishing skills (dimmed by too many overtime hours working on windtunnel fluttermodels) which burnt me out badly...when I got home from work. 12 hours of overtime...then spending freewilly time, putting a finish and effort into a stunt model...WAS MY DOWNFALL!!!!

Photos show my main test pilot and CEO CFO MISSEEEMAASSSSA CAROL. my beloved.

DDAAAANNNGGGDONDADDY! Did you make enough ribs for that suckah!!?????
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 04:05:33 PM »
The Sting ray and the first Avenger shared a mutual wing rib platform...the second and third, I fatten up the ribs...(almost like Bob Gieskie's concept..
by tracing over it with a Rapid-o-graph pen through a hole drilled into a piece of thick mylar 1/8 away from the rib outline. (a fat ball point or fat felt markerwould have probably done the trick..with out the extra hassel.
Also increased the SUB DORSAL below the body line to give a little more side area..to help with a little line pull on top of the circle in higher winds.
THE STING RAY OR THE AVENGER..NEVER REALLY NEEDED OR USED ANY RUDDER OFFSET EXCEPT FOR THE AIRFOILING..(which I think many of my aerodesign folks thought was virtually not worth the effort..at the speeds and circle flight path etc.
The other advantage to the enlarged aft dorsal and sub dorsal...stiffened and beefed up the aft fuselage. According to Bob Gialdini and I agree...the stab and elevators never showed any signs of weakness or stress cracking. Also building that stab unit as shown on Bob's plan gives plenty of thought to designing in a very light weight but actually beefy and rigid stab, rudder and elevator platform. Although building and time was increased.
I always used (borrowed) exotic light weight graphic and composite cloth scraps that I would accidently find in my shirt pockets..on the way home after work.
Hummm? RELAX!!!! GLEANING IS ACTUALLY "BIBLICAL IN NATURE?" HUMM?

ALSO...FOR ME...THE AVENGER'S GROUND HANDLING WAS VASTLY IMPROVED OVER the Sting Ray's unique trike gear..that worked  to perfection...(ONLY IF YOU LANDED WITH CONSIDERABLE SPEED) which due to my lack of visual and brain skills....often found myself in a heap of hurt...with my multiple choice landings...often as many and 3 touch and goes...n'allthatjazz? %^@
LAST BUT LEAST...I REALLY ENJOYED THE ENLARGED STAB AND ELEVATOR...which on some maneuvers with the Sting Ray...and its rather smallish high stab placement...in high winds would often give me some exciting opening up of inside square corners. Also the longer tail moment seem to help reduce that blanketing effect of the wing...etc?????
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 04:16:21 PM »
BEFORE THE STRAIGHT TRAILING EDGE ADVOCATES START BARKING....
Swept forward trailing edges...were good enough for Bob Gialdini, Steve Wooleee'man, Billy Werewedgie....etc etc...and I can honestly say....
The Sting Ray...and Avenger NEVER EXPERIENCE ANY OF THE "WOBBLEEE'S" (that is unless I accidently added too much tip weight...or moved the adjustable leadouts too far aft.
LINE PULL WAS NEVER A PROBLEM...A LIGHTER PULLING AIRPLANE...NEEDS GETTING USED TO...AND SOOOOOOOOOO MANY PLANES THAT I HAVE FLOWN.....

UTILIZED WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO MUCH TIP WEIGHT AND RUDDER OFFSET! RUDDER OFFSET...CAUSES MORE WOBBLEEEE'S THAN THEY ARE WORTH!!!! (at least to my thinking?
BOB HUNT'S PROFILE...WORK BEAUTIFULLY...ALSO AFTER FLYING "THE CHISLER....I WAS SOLD ON THIS KIND OF BODY STYLE CONCEPT!
WOBBLE NOT UNTO OTHERS....BEFORE THEY WOBBLE UNTO U!! IS THAT BIBLCIAL?
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 04:17:56 PM »
DDAAAANNNGGGDONDADDY! Did you make enough ribs for that suckah!!?????

Multi ribs...reallly make those shiney finishes shine....shine shine...shine.
Although the really shine....transporting any I Beam or silkspan covered wing is just an accident to happen. It wasn't long before I made up some thin foam-board sleve covers that I would slip over the the wings before heading out to the flyin-field.  ~>
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:06:37 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 04:22:01 PM »
I sure did. A swept forward TE and high aspect ratio? We certainly think alike. Interesting approach. How did it fly?
BOB'S STING RAY AND THE AVENGER...FLEW WITH SUCH PREDICTABILITY...BUT GETTING USED TO LIGHT WEIGHT AND LIGHT PULLING MODELS...takes lots of faith and practice.
If you like a stunter that pulls like a freight train...build somethin else!! ~^
Don Shultz

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 04:27:19 PM »
BAAAAAAD-EXILED DON!!!!

FORGIVE THE CHEEZE PHOTO OF ME IN MY NURSE MAID'S OUTFIT!!!!
The last photo is of THE REAL THING BABY!!!!
BOB'S WORLD CLASS WINNING "STING RAY!"
Don, Is that really you, or Conan O 'Brien? DV^^
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 04:33:58 PM »
Don, Is that really you, or Conan O 'Brien? DV^^

**) That hair of ours....look about the same...same Cheeze grin...HUMMMMM?
WONDER IF HE WAS BORN IN THE OZARK MOUNTAINS?
U saw my grandpappy in the movie "Deliverance?"

Look at my head....this was taken a few days before my Boeing retirement about 3 years ago..i have really gone to seed since huh?
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 06:49:16 PM »
Don,

Shame the Avenger isn't classic legal. Wouldn't that be fun to build. Or is it?

I agree on the freight train feel. My current PA plane has a very consistent, but not very hard pull. But it's the same on the flat or straight over my head. The same at 45 degrees. I prefer and consistent but light pull. Makes being precise much more easy.

Hey, you don't look to bad. Almost like a stunt flier. <=
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 06:59:48 PM »
Don,

Shame the Avenger isn't classic legal. Wouldn't that be fun to build. Or is it?

Randy, I have always HATED THE TASK OF BUILDING...but love the task of finishing and painting a model..especially when it is in the final primer and undercoated stage. The the creative side hopefully (maybe with the help of sniffing the paint fumes) will trigger the color and trim cycles..but after viewing your beautifully painted and trimmed models. Nuttin feels quite as good as spraying that last top of clear coat trim. Ahhh the pain an agony of building, painting.....just thinking about that......really hurts my head, heart, lungs and soul!!!!
Wow! I am envus of builders and flyers that I see on these boards...where did all my mojo go????
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 07:28:41 PM »
Don,

Keep talking. I'll come back. I've taken a few hiatius from the event. Usually in reponse to some other life event, but occasionally just to recharge. I'm sure haing fun right now.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 10:19:31 PM »
Don,

Keep talking. I'll come back. I've taken a few hiatius from the event. Usually in reponse to some other life event, but occasionally just to recharge. I'm sure haing fun right now.
THANKS RANDY, YOUR PHOTOS AND STORIES ARE ALWAYS FUN AND INFORMATIVE... AND GANG...FOR ALL YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS...KEEP EM' COMING!!!
WHO SHALL WE PICK ON NEXT????
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 01:36:27 PM »
See, a man after my own heart. We need to get together so I can steal, uh, that is, see some of your stuff. Love to look over those pictures.  :)

I remember a metallic red, white and blue job you flew at Boeing. Hey, I was impressed.

The Avenger is very cool. Sort of a cross between an Fanchiation and a Stingray. Sweet!

Here is a close up of the 59' enlarged Chipmunk..Contest balsa, Canopy and cowling compliments of Mike Stott.
next is a photo of my marginally successful twin ruddered modified Nobler. (Bottom line, I should have left the Nobler alone. Gary Letsinger deemed the model shown here as the WORST NOBLER HE HAD EVER FLOWN!..(he just may have been right? :)
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 02:34:46 PM »
I do believe that is the Chipmunk I remember. Neat plane.

Keep 'em coming. you are inspiring me to greater efforts. After all, you may show up at the next contest and I have to look good.  8)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »
Hey Don! How about doing something on out old buddy George Leib? I'll never forget him wind flying his fullsized Flitestreak with the .15 diesel for it seemed forever. I'm sure you must have some photos around somewhere.Mike
mike potter

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 08:46:37 PM »
Hey Don! How about doing something on out old buddy George Leib? I'll never forget him wind flying his fullsized Flitestreak with the .15 diesel for it seemed forever. I'm sure you must have some photos around somewhere.Mike
Hey Mikey....
will do...I have one shot of the Leibster...with his little yellow speedster...
and will put in on tomorrow...and another one with you...my fellow gruntster :)
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 09:16:15 AM »
Where do I get a set of plans, or is Walter going to consider this one for a kit?  That is one gorgeous airplane as was the ladies holding it.  Hope to meet you down the road somewhere.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2007, 02:08:21 PM »
Where do I get a set of plans, or is Walter going to consider this one for a kit?  That is one gorgeous airplane as was the ladies holding it.  Hope to meet you down the road somewhere.  DOC Holliday

I have to agree with you that the first time I saw  & read Bob Gialdini's beautiful StingRay article....Bob was forever my mentor  and Gurrrruuuuu n' stunt master...and I just had to build one...then two...and the rest is history!

I don't know if his plans are still available...my old plans are merely beloved old scraps of cut paper with globs of glue n scibblings of all kinds of ideas that Bob gave me by snail mail and phone calls. Even those old globbed up plans, as well as my Avenger ( virtually filled with so much of Bob's ideas...and concepts...I guess it shows more Gialdini than...my Avenger clones?

I can not find either Bob's StingRay plans...and have misplaced my only penciled Avenger plans? As far as I know...THE AVENGER PLANS HAVE NOT BEEN AVAILABE FOR DECADES...and it would be A CRIME AGAINST ALL STUNT NATURE...IF BOB'S STINGRAY PLANS ARE GONE!
THEY MUST BE AVAILABE SOMEWHERE!

The credit and passion for building and flying  those beautiful Gialdini models really changed my stunt model world IN THE PAST, YESTERDAY, TODAY...AND JUST MAYBE INTO THE FUTURE...if I can get my MOOJOMODEL MAKIN' AZZZINGEAR?
First the Ray plan and the Avenger plan (which is still missing?)
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2007, 03:40:39 PM »
The Singray plans are available from several sources including Len Neumann and Tom Dixon.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2007, 04:03:13 PM »
The Singray plans are available from several sources including Len Neumann and Tom Dixon.
That is truly GREAT NEWS!!!
 THANKS RANDY FOR ALWAY'S BEIN THERE and that goes for the rest of the contributors...but HEY!
NO RULES! GANG!!! IT'S TIME FOR SOMEONE TO POST UP ANOTHER ONE OF THEIR MENTORS-OR STUNT-GRUNT WORTHY'S OF THE DAY?
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2007, 09:06:05 AM »

I have "Stingray" plans, I want the "Avenger".   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 11:37:21 AM »
Doc!

I have a couple of 'sources' trying to locate, first who might have the original mylar that I drew up...decades ago on that July 1974 AAM mag. Although so far, I too, haven't found a source that has located those old plans...but again, thanks my fellow stunt addicts who still may want a set of my old Avenger plans. Over the years...I have supplied about a dozen plans..and have been sent pictures from both Canada, California, and down under...in Ausie' land, pictures of their Avenger and some nice reviews about how crisp the Avenger turns and tracks? As we know alignment, static balance and CG points (especially keeping that old nasty BAR-BELL EFFECT IN CHECK!
However my 2nd and final Avenger Series 3 had a slightly fatter airfoil that Bob Hunt so graciously made one of his state of the art foam wings that was laminated with the most beautiful thin n' smoooooth grain balsa that I had ever seen. 

The only other modification from the original plans was that I had to move the fuse' former#2 back as far as I could get it..so to accomidate the larger tank for the Bob Wilder modified ST.40. The most important change (although maybe a visual thang'----I brought that below body sub dorsal straight back....which not only gave the model that accented straight line tracking and gave a better visual appearence to outside squares (it might have been Bob Hunt that mentioned to me..that a stunt models side view, can actually trick the eye-balls into thinking the corner of a model appears to turn differently simply because of the body lines.

Even a nice straight lined body design with a rounded flowing paint scheme can also accent or detract not only the pilots straight line tracking...but most importantly can give a judge the perceived idea that your inside and outside squares...APPEAR to be sharper or softer...simply due to a change of body line or paint scheme?
Does this make sense..maybe not.  But after talking with Dick Mathis...about that beautifully rounded and soften body and paint scheme on his 1967 Chizler. He told me that was HIS DESIGN PURPOSE...
He actually believed..(and maybe rightly so) a STRAIGHT LINE BODY LINE...on a stunt model will ACCENT BEAUTIFULLY FLOWN SQUARES...but sadly will also ACCENT MISTAKES...JUST A QUICKLY! So his concept was to make the visual body line as flowing, rounded and soften so that maneuvers, both inside and outside will appear pretty much the same in visual balance.
At least this way.....HIS FLYING PICTURE to both himself as the pilot and again to the judging staff on the outside...will actually blend some of those mini little bounce and bobbles...and the result, hopefully, could possibly PRESENT A SMOOOTHER AND MORE CONSISTANT flight path picture...than the traditional STRAIGHT BODY LINES of many stunt models designs.
Hummmmmmmmmm? Gamesmanship??? Whatever..
Still look who won that contest that day...BART KLAPINSKI...with that beautiful Tempest of his, with that long skinny tapering fuselage with that racy looking vertical stab...(ala' Sting Rayish...or Avengerish...jet swoooopish.
After all is sad and dung, design, build, finish, and fly with passion and emotion. Give it your bst..and let the rest fall. Try to remember why we fly these "little toy airplanes on strings in the first place?
Gamesmanship can take most mortals only JUST SO FAR!  Bart that day...was flying waaaay above the earth...where the angels sing.....between the earth and sky.  Leaving all of us there on that tarmac, who saw that flight, thinking.....WOW! THAT WAS SOME ANOINTING' Or Super man had returnuth'  y1
Butttabottom line: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE..WITH A GOAL IN MIND!!!

Too much drivileee'
HEY DOC! DO ME N' US A FAVOR.....
How bout' LIFTIN' UP ONE OF OUR FELLOW MODELERS TODAY! and let the rest of us...chime in with that old promise...."three or more stunt grunts gathered in his name" can accomplish great things?
(I GOTTA GO BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES...CLEAN THE GUTTERS, WRAP THE PIPES...TO GET READY FOR THE WINDS...N' FLASH FREEEZE, that just make this post the last one that will appear from us NW folks!
Dr. Vaaaago' here we come again....JUST BLOWIN IN THE WIND  n'all that jazz
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 04:19:16 PM »
Don,

Yea, it's looking pretty ugly out there.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here