News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:11:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GERALD PHELPS- 1968 & 69 NATS WINNING NATS MODEL  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
GERALD PHELPS- 1968 & 69 NATS WINNING NATS MODEL
« on: January 29, 2007, 11:58:12 AM »
While we were on the subject of the 69 nationals winning model by Bob Lampione. What was so unique and inspiring to the NAVY judging staff, was the theme of both of Bob and Gerry's beautiful military garbed Thunderbird models entries.  Even more inspiring was the expertise and precision that both models flew that day.
The last photo is Gerry's beautiful Red I Beam model...that gleaned him bow-kuuu' appearence point at the night before the 68 Olatha Nationals stunt competition. Gads...who can forget how those kajilllon multi I beam ribs made that model's finish sparkle and "snap"   under the glare of  all those hanger lights at that night judging session.    Ahhhh, to the memories....

Where is Gerald Phelps today?
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
Re: GERALD PHELPS- 1968 & 69 NATS WINNING NATS MODEL
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 12:08:20 PM »
Phelps is still around and he flies quit well in clockwise direction!!!! You will usually here his name on the stunt roster at VSC. I have never met Jerry but did talk to him there because he flew the right direction. As usual another nice guy but not as old as I. You will notice what wing the leadouts protrude.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 12:54:52 PM »
Phelps is still around and he flies quit well in clockwise direction!!!! You will usually here his name on the stunt roster at VSC. I have never met Jerry but did talk to him there because he flew the right direction. As usual another nice guy but not as old as I. You will notice what wing the leadouts protrude.
LL~ Ha! Naaaaaaw! He is just showing us the "bottom side of his plane." Too bad that Jerry just forgot to attach the rudder and wheels and canopy to the bottom top side instead... LL~
Hey Mel..just razzin ya!!my beloved round and round wrong waaaaaay brotha?  #^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »
What plane is the Jet?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 05:28:35 PM »
What plane is the Jet?
Good question! I thought that it was his  Patriot design... (at the 69 there was another senior stunt flyer's stunter with that same Patriot name...but Jerry's and this other flyers models were worlds apart in design and quality.
 I am usually wrong but I think he was experimenting with Super-Tigs'-McCoy 40's and Merco 35's?
Let me dig through my old magazines...Randall-danall....for a look see?
Don Shultz

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 08:34:54 PM »
Shultzie, Gerry is still around and still flying in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I am sure some of the guys will chime in here from that area. On occasion, Gerry will make it down to our contest in Columbus. Flat out, one of the nicest men in Stunt and Mary is a real jewel as well. Great to see those photos of Gerry and his planes. Gerry's building  and designing continue you with him today as he really creates some real masterpieces. 
Keith Bryant

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 04:46:48 AM »
Gerry is doing well. He and his wife Merry have just moved into there new house in Thompson, Ohio. Thompson is way east of Cleveland but he has property and will have his own circle I hear. His new house is planned around the "Mother of all Workshops". He has been out of touch because of the house but he is available. Gerry came to my place in Medina for a club get together and it was a 60 mile trip one way. As far as we know he has not given up on his airplanes. You can contact Gerry at, teamphelps@adelphia.net

Thanks
Wayne Buran
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Kim Doherty

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 07:39:48 AM »
Gerry is one of the nicest, most giving people you will ever come across. I have had the honour of enjoying both Gerry and Merry's hospitality on a number of occasions while attending contests in the Cleveland area. Gerry is still a great builder and flier and has always kept a positive attitude even when some medical issues conspired to keep him off the circle. Both he and Merry have worked tirelessly to help run more contests than I can count. I consider it an honour to call him a friend.

Kim.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 11:12:10 AM »
Thanks for sending his E mail....
I just sent Gerry an E mail asking if he would chime in on our Sparky's great website....With that in mind, how bout' some of you stunt grunters.. also send him an E mail and an invite to join in with some hanger-trash-n-rash.

Don Shultz

Offline Rick Campbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 12:09:21 PM »
Could someone ask Gerry the origin of that red I beamer?  Is it as simple as a bubble canopied Ambroid (or Magazine) Ares?  I think I like it better than the regular Ares.

Rick

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 05:41:32 PM »
Gerry is one of my very favorite guys in stunt!  To be around him and Merry is always a blast. ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 12:28:33 PM »
What plane is the Jet?

The jet is his Gerry's first Patriot.  It was strongly influened by Jim Kostecky's "Formula S".  I believe it was powered by a McCoy 40.  This pilot & airplane series were one of the best combinations of ALL time!  Later Patriots were even prettier, I do not remember what engines he evolved to - possibly ST46?  They say the memory is the second thing to go, but I forgot what the first is!

I thnk the red I-Beam was built while he lived in Ohio - and was strongly influenced by Werwage (big surprise there, huh?) but I do not think it is an Ares.  Remember that EVERY I-Beam is virtually a one-of-a-kind airplane!

Gerry & Mary are some of the nicest people I have ever met - though I have not seen them for quite awhile...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 02:46:35 PM »
Dennis Adamisin!!!!!

My hero. Your designs had more effect on the planes I've built over the past 25 years than anyone else. You are the primary reason I've spent so much time dinking around with high aspect ratio designs.

Glad you are here.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 03:24:06 PM »
Dennis,

A couple years ago at Brodak's, Gerry had an Aero Tiger 36 in his Patriot.  Once you get used to the first couple laps "backwards", it is always a joy to watch Gerry fly.  I was very happy to hear that he had moved to the new house.  I was talking to him when he was having some "difficulties" in the sale of his old house.  None of it his fault! 

Gerry and Merry.......... I hope to see them (as well as Big Art) for many more years around the stunt circles!

Bill Little

BTW:  Have you talked to Todd lately??
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 04:30:09 PM »
Bill:
Haven't talked to Todd since Christmas - but expect to see him in a couple weeks at BigArts 80th Bday party.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 04:38:57 PM »
Dennis Adamisin!!!!!

My hero. Your designs had more effect on the planes I've built over the past 25 years than anyone else. You are the primary reason I've spent so much time dinking around with high aspect ratio designs.

Glad you are here.

Randy
Discovered this forum just yesterday, got registered then a post here and there and .... IM HAVING A BLAST!

High Aspect ratios? Do tell more about your experiences.  I always figured that I had not really exploited the initiative - needed to try some different 'foils and control surfaces.  Did not do enough with moving the CG around either.

While "away" I have been flying RC sport and Sailplanes.  My original design 2M sailplane featured a LOW aspect of 7.4.  I dunno, it just "looks" right, and flies well too.  Too bad the pilot never really got the hang of thermal searching!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 05:03:46 PM »
Dennis,
         I am so glad to see you haven't lost the love of models. Welcome back. H^^ H^^

dick

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 06:08:55 PM »
Jerry has an original design called "Avian". It's a beautiful airplane which is a blend of 50's looks with 70's technology. I got a set of his plans for the three sizes he designed and am shamelessly "borrowing" most  of it for a current .40 size project. I hope Jerry posts some pictures of this plane.

Spent some time talking to Jerry about it at Wayne's house... you won't meet a nicer more helpful guy.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
Bill:
Haven't talked to Todd since Christmas - but expect to see him in a couple weeks at BigArts 80th Bday party.

Please tell Todd, Ami, Big Art, and everyone, hello from the "Littles" of NC!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 06:53:54 PM »
Dennis,
         I am so glad to see you haven't lost the love of models. Welcome back. H^^ H^^

dick

Dick Byron!  So how the heck are you anyway?

Never left aeromodeling, but got into RC sport and Sailplanes which were easier to do at sporadic commitent of time - unlike CLPA.  Can't say I'm ready to make a comeback, but discovered this forum a couple days ago and have been having a BLAST catching up with everyone...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
(snip) Can't say I'm ready to make a comeback, but discovered this forum a couple days ago and have been having a BLAST catching up with everyone...

You're ready.................  ;D H^^
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 09:36:31 AM »
Now you guys know how I feel after finding this forum and recieving some pictures of old friend and some of those classic model we built then. I even got pictures of a plane I designed and built in 1966. I too am having a ball. I flew with a great bunch of guys in those days. Some one said flying in the "wrong" direction. I call it a "different" direction. There some tricks this old dog doesn't want to learn. H^^ #^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here