News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:22:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GEORGE BALES...Oldest Stunt Grunt alive at 100 years old  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
GEORGE BALES...Oldest Stunt Grunt alive at 100 years old
« on: February 03, 2008, 12:09:24 PM »
Here is a photo of GEORGE BALES...
Met him years ago when working at Sandys Camera Shop in Portland. Great arial photographer...and loved flying control line toy airplanes at Delta with us.
Hey Leo!
I wonder if he still has those great running old Forster 29's?  LL~
He just had his 100th birthday and still alive and kickin in Nehalem Ore.

here is an article from the Tillamook NewPaper
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 03:27:25 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
Re: GEORGE BALES...Oldest Stunt Grunt alive at 100 years old
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 07:31:53 PM »
Here is a photo of GEORGE BALES...
Met him years ago when working at Sandys Camera Shop in Portland. Great arial photographer...and loved flying control line toy airplanes at Delta with us.
Hey Leo!
I wonder if he still has those great running old Forster 29's?  LL~
He just had his 100th birthday and still alive and kickin in Nehalem Ore.
I don't remember him but there is a lot of things I don't remember. If I did meet him it must have been breefly and I have always had a hard time with names-now if it was some girls telephone number that was different. Imediatly my concentration kicked in. It still does that! Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ #^

Offline Jerry Olson

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 01:48:01 AM »
Gosh Leo you should look him up.  He's someone you can call old.
Jerry Olson
Clackamas, Oregon

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 03:08:25 PM »
Gads...
George doesn't look anything like he did waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1962 but then he was only 46 years old? LL~
GADS! THAT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLY DATES US LEO?
In those days...I sold him a brand new Hasselbald 500C with two 120 roll film backs. He was quite a pilot and one amazing  arial photographer....
Let me google him up....huh?
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 03:34:37 PM »
Here is the article about the amazing George Bales...from the Tillamook news...The "LITE-HEADED HERALD..(who I used to line draw art for advertizing during my college years at PU in Forest Grove...Remember in those days often they didn't have photos...so they use ink line art...from art kiddies like me...who needed a buck or two or three or more... n~

added a couple of scan of an old xerox concept toons that I sent Al for some ideas for his Mustang Sally article "Evolution of a Thoroughbred" waaaay back when before it was published? :) 
fun stuff....but as you can see these old copies were just quickeee crappy-concept stuff.
(pretty raceee' stuff....hide the kiddies eyes on a couple of these? :) U can see my mind often had a habit of "stickin-out a bit toooofar" Remember this was the daze before we had Sensitivititititititittty training in our workplaces... VD~ S?P H^^ LL~ LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 05:22:27 PM »
See, I told you I was not older than everybody but pretty close to next in line. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~>

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:15:08 PM »
See, I told you I was not older than everybody but pretty close to next in line. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~>
Gee-- If I live to 100 that don't give me a hell of a lot of time HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 04:15:26 PM »
That gives me an idea...
LET'S POST UP THE FIRST PHOTOS OF ANY U OLD MODEL BUILDERS....WITH THEIR FIRST MODELS?
check out this one of me taken when I lived in DesMoines Iowa...1951 holding my first
solid balsa models.
Could these have been ol Comet models...I can clearly not remember. I do remember buying the kits at a little shop near the DesMoines Fairground and my mother HATED THE SMELL OF THAT OLD MODEL AIRPLANE GLUE AND LITTLE TEENIE BOTTLES OF DOPE. LL~
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 09:45:40 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 12:31:26 AM »
Quote from: Shultzie link HB~>=topic=8223.msg80022#msg80022 date=1209766526
That gives me an idea...
LET'S POST UP THE FIRST PHOTOS OF ANY U OLD MODEL BUILDERS....WITH THEIR FIRST MODELS?
check out this one of me taken when I lived in DesMoines Iowa...1951 holding my first
solid balsa models.
Could these have been ol Comet models...I can clearly not remember. I do remember buying the kits at a little shop near the DesMoines Fairground and my mother HATED THE SMELL OF THAT OLD MODEL AIRPLANE GLUE AND LITTLE TEENIE BOTTLES OF DOPE. LL~
!951 I was out of high school a year. You are a lot younger than me! LL~

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 09:15:13 AM »
!951 I was out of high school a year. You are a lot younger than me! LL~
LEO! ARE YOU THE KID THAT BABY SAT US AND  "KICKED THE CRAP OUT OF OUR CRADLE?"  LL~ LL~
Humm? Maybe not...I graduated from high school in Tillamook Oregon in 57!
look at these funny hair doo daaaa daze from our old annual book!
Ohhh Donneee-Boy! NICE DO, Huh?  LL~ LL~ n~
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 08:43:03 AM »
Boy, Donnie ole boy, you must have driven the girls crazy.   Now that sister of yours is a real looker.  Makes me think of some of the upper class girls that were real dolls to look at.  Now I am a crossing gaurd at a grade school with high school across the way.  If we dressed like they do now we would have been sent home.  If I had a scanner I would post one of me with flat top with fenders and duck butt.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 02:36:25 PM »
Boy, Donnie ole boy, you must have driven the girls crazy.    Now that sister of yours is a real looker.  Makes me think of some of the upper class girls that were real dolls to look at.  Now I am a crossing gaurd at a grade school with high school across the way. 
 If we dressed like they do now we would have been sent home.  If I had a scanner I would post one of me with flat top with fenders and duck butt.  Later,  DOC Holliday
Having a twin sister in high school was such "A GOOD THANG'-THING!" I never hesitated to go to her with questions, questions, questions about many of her close gal friends and very often, Mary and I worked the dating pipe-line system quite well...
If she or I had a SPECIAL INTEREST in someone...and I can assure you that we would put in a good word for each other, be-friending each others classmates.
However...WORD (both good and bad) travels fast for kids in high school and with that in mind.....If things didn't go quite as planned...it was quite imbarressing a few times actually hearing the HONEST TRUTH about what our dates really and honestly thought about us.
TWINS must have their own kind of  special social control codes as it sometimes worked either FOR or AGAINST us at times.
A fellow band member "BILLY BALLARD" who he and I were really good friends, but then after his first date with my sister...he fell madly in PUPPY-LUST with her...however
My sister was more than JUST TURNED OFF BY HIM! SELF CONTROL was not one of BILLY-BOY'S atrabutes'
 After their first encounter of the last-kind she promptly dumped him.
 BILLY for some reason...just didn't get the message and both of us had to use some pretty tough-love methods that were not really very kind to defuse the situation. He was a really great trombone player and always was selling himselft to the ladies that he had the best double-n'-triple togunin'-n' lips in the lovin' business? Humm...too much info huh?
Better stop while "I'm BEHIND!!!OR SPARKY BOOTS MY BEHIND OFF OL' S.H! n'allthatjazz. Speaking of jazz, let me play a version of "DOC'S BLUZ" for you?
Don Shultz

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 08:45:56 AM »
LEO! ARE YOU THE KID THAT BABY SAT US AND  "KICKED THE CRAP OUT OF OUR CRADLE?"  LL~ LL~
Humm? Maybe not...I graduated from high school in Tillamook Oregon in 57!
look at these funny hair doo daaaa daze from our old annual book!
Ohhh Donneee-Boy! NICE DO, Huh?  LL~ LL~ n~

Shultzie,
I had you pegged as a lot older but your about my brothers age 68/9 and I'm playing catch up to him.
I also am a twin and can relate to a lot of what you said about your high school years.
Dennis

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 01:09:26 PM »
We had two sets of twins in my high school. 1 set were boys who played snare drums and 1 set of girls who dated boys, but if you took one out you had to take them both out, One of them lives in Puyallop Washington. They were nice kids and I still keep in touch with them. The one that lives in Oregon was the cutest but I lost her to a guy that  had a father with a ice cream store. That figures. I had nothing to offer so she got nothing but ice cream. HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> mw~ mw~I think I won!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 04:37:54 PM »
We had two sets of twins in my high school. 1 set were boys who played snare drums and 1 set of girls who dated boys, but if you took one out you had to take them both out, One of them lives in Puyallop Washington. They were nice kids and I still keep in touch with them. The one that lives in Oregon was the cutest but I lost her to a guy that  had a father with a ice cream store. That figures. I had nothing to offer so she got nothing but ice cream. HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> mw~ mw~I think I won!

Look at it this way...SHE PROBABLY ENDED UP AS A BIGGINS! (from eatin all that ice cream) LL~
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here