News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:07:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DENNIS ADAMISIN Stunt Grunt for today! WELCOME to the Hanger!  (Read 12308 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Hey Stunt Grunts..

Included here is a quick scan of two pages of a very "slick semi-scale Nats winner was designed, described and pencil drawn (at the time) by 14-year old Junior Stunt Champion.

Lets  welcome him about the STUNT HANGER..Nice to see you posting and it would be great if you could scan a few of your favorite photos, and talk about the folks that encouraged you through your life in stunt?
Give my best to you and your sooooooooooo gifted family.
Here's  to the memories.....
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: DENNIS ADAMISIN Stunt Grunt for today! WELCOME to the Hanger!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 12:17:58 PM »
As I said somewhere else here, Dennis has been my inspiration for a long time. I've build an Orange Crate and Eclipse and they were major influences on my thoughts on aerodynamics for a very long time. These planes were the primary reason that I pursued high aspect ratio designs for so long. Dennis has a talent for designing graceful and competitive planes. A set of plans for the Orange Crate has hung on my shop wall numerous times.

edit for typo
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:00:12 AM by Randy Powell »
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 12:38:34 PM »
In response to the post Dennis made in the Gerald Phelps thread, Here are a couple of pics of high aspect ratio planes I've designed that were inspired by Dennis's stuff. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of pictures of the numerous high aspect ratio planes I've designed and built due to a computer crash in 1999. But I have a few. The first was a 1986 plane that Alan Resinger sent me a picture of. Taken at the Northwest Regionals that year. Power was an ST60. It flew OK, but was a bit heavy and had the CG too far foward. The second was powered by a Stalker .61 on a pipe and actually didn't fly to badly as long as the wind wasn't blowing. The last flew pretty well with a Saito 56. All of them had blinding corners. The CG on this one is about 4" ahead of the trailing edge or about 45% of MAC.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »
Don:
WHAT AN HONOR!   I only registered a day or so ago and everyone is really making me feel welcome.  Heck, if I ever get down I should go away for awhile and come back again just so I can feel this welcome AGAIN!  Love the pix fo the Stingray too.

I do not have a lot pix (Dad has them all) but I'll see if I can scan some stuff we can reminisce about.

Randy:
I never saw any airplane I published actually BUILT by someone!  So I am blown away by the thought that you built an Orange Crate & Eclipse!  Of course, my stuff pales next to the AWESOME birds you posted here!  Do tell:  Looks like you were using very large flaps(?) ala "Large James" thoughts - how did you like that?

While I have been "away" I have (among other things) been flying sailplanes.  I'll cut to the chase.  My current thoughts are along the lines of smaller flaps moving maybe 2:1 versus elevator and functioning as BRAKES rather than just lift devices.  I think this would be hard to accomplish with large flaps due to the control forces involved... 

Your thoughts?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 07:59:13 PM »
Dennis,

The first one had very big flaps and used the LJ theory. Big flaps but not much movement. They only deflected about 12 degrees. Worked OK, but the design was very sensitive to speed changes. The second one had 2/3 span flaps and, while oversensitive to turbulence, flew pretty well. The last one had half span flaps, 7.8 to 1 AR and a very, very long tail moment with 30% area and about a .49 tail volume coefficient. It really flew very well.

I built an Orange Crate about 20 years ago. Powered with an OS35S. It flew very, very well, but succumbed to a pilot error. The error was decided to fly in 25mph winds. Only had about 50 flights on it too. Deceleration trauma. The Eclipse I built a year later and basically wore it out. Had and OS45FSR with dykes ring and really was a good flyer. I wore it out. Probably had 1000 flights on that plane and gave it away before I moved to Washington.

As an aside. I did know your sister and Pete B. when they lived here. Pete managed Hobby Town and I flew with him quite a lot.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 09:41:50 PM »
(Quote from another post by Dennis) "Can't say I'm ready to make a comeback, but discovered this forum a couple days ago and have been having a BLAST catching up with everyone..."

Oh, you're ready!  Just do it! **)  It's all fun now, and you will be grinding out 500 point flights in no time! If that's what you want to do.  Otherwise, just fly and have the fun we all are having!  I'm going to VSC in 2010 for the first time.  I would love to see you there with one of your Classic planes like a Typhoon!
(Might could even get Big Art and Todd there!)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 10:01:35 PM »
Bill
CAN'T come back until I go on a MAJOR diet - so I can fit into my WHITE PANTS!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 10:54:27 PM »
Bill
CAN'T come back until I go on a MAJOR diet - so I can fit into my WHITE PANTS!

Well, now, that PROVES IT!  There ain't too many of us left that CAN fit into our WHITE PANTS! 

I guess we can owe that Stunt Approved attire to Mr. Gialdini, I guess! :)

(now I have to find a pair of WHITE PANTS so that I can fly in them at Huntersville in June!)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 10:54:39 PM »
Doesn't seem to hurt Dirty Dan. Don't worry about white pants. Even the glorious Mr. Walker wears jeans to contests these days.    LL~
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 07:40:22 AM »
Dennis, 'fess up ... when's the last time you flew a complete stunt pattern?
Mike G

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 10:04:01 AM »
Dennis, 'fess up ... when's the last time you flew a complete stunt pattern?
Mike G

Hummm? Hey Mike...when was the LAST TIME YOU FLEW A COMPLETE STUNT PATTERN? LL~ S?P
Try to remember...that you are only as good as your last stunt pattern or gig anyhoo?  n~
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 10:06:57 AM »
Mike G

Don:
No prblem I've reach that age where the older I get the better I WAS.  Thus I striggle, why spoil that illusion with the reality of a comeback????
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 10:58:02 AM »
Don -

It was last summer ... at least I thought it was the stunt pattern - other opinions may vary.

I wasn't chidding Dennis in any way.  I was just curious in light of the fact that his 20 year old pattern could still no doubt easily kick my a#*s.  I have no doubt that a dozen warmup flights later, Dennis would be back in contention. 
 :)

Mike

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 12:58:54 PM »
My son Ryan and I took our old models off the wall about the same time last spring.....uhh?

Took the prime bulb...added some naptha and some trumpet valve oil....down the intake and exhaust port...gave it a bunch of flippity flippin....took the cowling off. Blew out the rest of the cloudy ugly naptha based Omega 10% fuel through the tank and into an old plastic paint trim bucket.
Put in some new tubing...cleaned the fuel filter...tighten up the lug bolts ...tighten the old cut down 12-5 &  ran some of that 2 year old Omega pink...through the tank, just to see if these old engines would start.  I was really surprised how quickly that old ST-46 started with such ease.

Although it sounded a bit ratty and a bunch of really ugly looking yellow orange to black residue belched out all over my ratty old nylon pull over jacket...that engine sounded actually pretty good. 
Cleaned the goo off. Put in a brand new idle bar plug..

Ryans old  P-47 model...with my old Merco 35...fired up and ran right off without tweaking or adding a new plug. We did replace the plug  before flying later that afternoon at a new park between University place and Steilicom.

After the first flight...testing the engine run etc....2nd flight was pattern time...NOT A PRETTY SIGHT....BUT IT WAS A PATTERN, REGARDLESS!

In truth? Kinda like riding a kiddies tricycle? U JUST NEVER FORGET! Both Ryan and I both seem to have some old muscle memory thang' going.
 I had a few nervous-Noris moments on the first flight...but I was ureasonably calm on the second flight.
 That old ST-46 ran quite well, except  for an annoying speed up near the end of the flight.  Both of us  only flew 3 flights each. Both old models survived quite in tact...(Exept for more stress cracking on that old plastic cowling hold downs again.)

What a chore it was to clean off that black-gunk goo burnt castor off both models.....

I CAN ONLY IMAGINE JUST HOW NICE ELECTRICS COULD ADD TO FLYING STUNT AGAIN? PLUS...GADS! THOSE OLD MEAGERLY MUFFLED ENGINES...MAKE WAAAAAY TO MUCH NOISE!

Like the pied' piper...Ryan and I had to get out of that new park as soon as possible, as the crowd of kids that started to gather from the near by street...seemingly out of nowhere began to make us a bit concerned...
especially after one young man had said that he and his Dad were asked to leave after he flew his Dad's old Ringmaster 35 and that  the local grounds crew who were standing across the field a short distance  distance. After he crashed...that crew walked up and helped he and is dad "pick up the pieces of the old Ringmaster."

The grounds keeper suggested that they no fly there again.

Humm? Ryan and  took that kids advice...and never returned. Just too busy a place to fly anyhoo.

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO  HOWARD RUSH'S PREDICITION THAT ELECTRICS WILL BE THE NEW WAVE OF THE FUTURE IN PRECISION OR UNPRECISION AEROBATICS...THIS NEXT YEAR AT THE NATS! (Depending on that old saying:
"One is truly only as good as their last gig or stunt flight!"   
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 01:56:57 PM »
Don-
"I had a few nervous-Noris moments on the first flight...but I was ureasonably calm on the second flight."

Oh yea - I know that feeling - "ureasonably calm" - that's how it was with me.  I know I should have stayed scared, but it all came flowing back - like an old shoe - except the precision part - that looked and smelled like an old shoe!

Mike 

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 02:03:40 PM »
Mike!
"A PATTERN THAT LOOKS AND SMELLS LIKE A PAIR OF WET OLD SNEAKERS!" I really resemble that remark!  H^^ **)
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 03:10:07 PM »
>>No prblem I've reach that age where the older I get the better I WAS<<

Yea. Old Guys Rule! (I have a T-Shirt that says that very thing).

Don,

That's OK. If I can convince the local RC club that putting in a CL circle is just a great idea, you can come up and fly with me.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 04:08:18 PM »
>>No prblem I've reach that age where the older I get the better I WAS<<

Yea. Old Guys Rule! (I have a T-Shirt that says that very thing).

Don,

That's OK. If I can convince the local RC club that putting in a CL circle is just a great idea, you can come up and fly with me.

Hey Randy...that is an invite that is waaaaaaaaaay to hard to turn down!
Uhhh? May I borrow a cup of fuel and a jump start! (for the airplane..not a pacemaker!)
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »
Hey Don, I got fuel.

I'm going to the RC club meeting this week. Wish me luck.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 05:21:22 PM »
Hey Don, I got fuel.

I'm going to the RC club meeting this week. Wish me luck.
BESTEST OF LUCK...AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!!!
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 07:32:59 PM »
Someone asked me to post some pix, found a few:

First up is me posing the Typhoon the day after winning Junior at 69 NATs.  Darned I was a GOOD looking stud!javascript:void(0);

Next my FAVORITE dog airplane of all time.  Hawker followed their Typhoon with the Tempest - I tried to do the same.  Theirs worked, mine didn't. In fact it was as BAD as the Typhoon was good - and never could figure out why.  BTW the round cowl was DEFINITIELY the result of getting "Bearcat" envy.javascript:void(0);

First V-Tail was a Ringmaster, the second was this one built using a Chief wing - I hope Mr Palmer will forgive me!  Took some trimming but we got it working pretty well.

Next up is a DEEtroit time capsule, BigArt's trailer loaded up for the 72 NATS.  On the floor in forground is Rollie McDonald's Harlequin.  Behind it is BigArt's Dewoitine 520, on the front wall my Magister.  Left side fore is LeRoy Gunthers Gieske Nobler whic won Testors Best Finish Trophy in 1970.  Behind it is another of Rollie's Harlequins.  Right side fore is my brother Alan's Gieske Nobler, behind it my Swea Pea. 

Last pix is the Fouga Magister that won 72 Nats - Senior & Walker Cup - the plane that made me a legend in my OWN mind!javascript:void(0);

All seriousness aside, this really brings back a LOT of memories - thanks for letting me indulge (and please take the legend statement with tongue in cheek!)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 10:28:33 PM »
I'd forgot about your love affair with "V" tails. I've tried a couple, but never had as much luck with getting them trimmed. Can you now disclose the secret formula? I always seemed to have roll problems no matter what I did.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 11:26:35 AM »
WOW! DENNIS!!!!
Thanks for taking the time to glean, gather, scann those beautiful photos that so nicely shows the history of your growth and successful progress through your life in modeling and the pathway in which you made toward becoming a multi-winning stunt flyer in precision aerobatics.

Thanks for sharing these photos with us. I especially love that last V tail model of the amazing ssemi-scale Fouga Majister full scale demonstration aerobatic team jets that won the hearts and minds of those large crowds of aviation buffs, thoughout the world.

I was and am so proud of your choice in using the V tail concept that so many windtunnel projects proved again and again....that a V tail should and could prove to be a very successful and effective tail platform that positive potential strangely still continues to be over-looked and discounted by so many modelers.
Years ago.... Karl Mathers, a friend of mine who Dad owned a full sized Bonanza...convinced his son to modify his old Kenhi Cougar with a V tail!!!?????
Everyone (myself included) told him that...he was loonier-than a Moonie-mite for wrecking a good flying Kenhi Cougar. WRONG! WRONG!
At the Tillamook fairgrounds parking lot...after test flying that V tailed Kenhi of his...I was almost ashamed the way I had been razzin and jazzin him about V tailed. I didn't admit it or never let Karl know...that his "funny looking V tailed Kenhi Cougar, flew considerabley smoother and turned tighter than my beat up old Cougar.
However that is like trying to compare Oranges with Oranges..n' apples with apples. Everyone knows that like model builders or model airplanes, the fact that: "NO TWO ARE EVER CREATED  ALIKE!"
Again...Dennis! Great post and photos...keep them coming!
check out this photo of the full scale Fouga Magister!!! (Dennis...what is your ideas about adding an on and off again smoker like the full sized for stunt! )
OPPS!
 (to me...personally smoke from exhaust does  not always or seldom flows the pathway traveled by that model and often blows away from the model due to air turbulence vortex and actually the result makes manouvers appear less accurate that the actual flight path of the model itself?) hummm?
However what a pretty show bizz effect, huh?
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 02:24:09 PM »
You mentioned "Rollie McDonald's" plane in the fore ground. He wouldn't be Bob Gialdinin's old time BIG GUY friend....who was an amazingly gifted builder and flyer in those days?

Also here is a photo of LeRoy's Gunther's amazingly finished and flying stunter from the 68 or 69 nats...(gads! I kept calling him Bob those couple of days at the nats. Amazing that he didn't correct me...or is LeRoy his son? See  what happens Dennis, when one sniffs too many paint fumes!)

Geee...my scanner cut heads off everyone in my tightly framed slides!!! ~^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 02:44:10 PM »
Man, that's a pretty plane.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 05:27:12 PM »
Hi Dennis,

Hope you Dad is doing well?

I see you remember the '69 through 73 Nats!

I'm  Mike Thompson's flying buddy from good old Modesto in CA
I don't live there anymore though.  I'm Tom Morris's flying buddy
in Anniston, AL now.

Jim Pollock, Audacter et Strenue   H^^

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 10:03:17 PM »
Geez gang - lots to catch up on:
Jim P: Nice to reacquaint!  I'll be hanging out with my Dad Saturday at Toledo Show - Ill tell him you said HI

Schultzie;  GREAT Magister pix.  If had had any gutz I would build another - only with a high aspect ratio wing I started using about 8 years after the 1972 bird!

Great pix on LeRoy Gunther's Galaxy.  Seeing it posed like that it looks completely contemporary, doesn't it? 

Gunny loved building and finishing.  The Testors award winning Gieske Nobler was the SECOND time he won the award, the first was with his Jerry Worth Spitfire in 1969 - sorry the bird is cut off here.  Yup its still pretty gorgeous 38 years later, hanging in Dad's basement.

Another "pretty good builder" was the creator of the bird in Pix 2.  Cant' identify it? Try squinting and reading his name written in red on the turtledeck.  IMHO Jim Silhavy might be the best builder/finisher ever to grace a stunt circle.  You can read HIS name on the Walker Cup too.

Dug deep for pix 3.  SHARK ATTACK in the appearance points line at the 1969 NATs!  Lewis continually proved that "Gentleman" and "Tough Competitor" can be the same person.  Of course Charlie Reeves remains all of that - plus (I have not seen him for a LONG time) I understand he still grins a lot!  BTW behind the Sharks is Gunny with his Galaxy

Finish off with a pix of "Big" Art when he was only "Middle" Art - in 1970.  His Dewotine 520 was a really good bird from any measure: finish or performance.

BTW is there a place in this forum where we can place some of these old pix - a central archive perhaps?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 10:50:45 PM »
DENNIS.....WOW!
THANKS for the memories...Definately these photos are truly keepers...Great shot of your Dad!
That shot of Silhavy's plane is....JUST PERFECTION. Yes...Jim dearly loved Red but I think he must have been sooooooooopleased with that plane..."HEY...HIS NAME, AT LEAST, IS IN RED! JIM SILHAVY

Right on about Gunny's models...THEY LOOK AS FRESH AND MODERN AND BEAUTIFUL AND ANY STUNT MODEL...ever made! His talented artistry was second to none!

Dennis, your gift for writing, great photos...and most of all, your VIVID MEMORY really adds so much to this board.
Gads..the cost of scanning ink is killing us and again...thanks for taking not only the cost but also thanks for taking the time it takes to locate and scann all these great archival photos and for sharing them with us.
(exiled Shultzie in the harbor.
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 07:17:26 AM »
Geez gang - lots to catch up on:
Jim P: Nice to reacquaint!  I'll be hanging out with my Dad Saturday at Toledo Show - Ill tell him you said HI

(snip)

BTW is there a place in this forum where we can place some of these old pix - a central archive perhaps?

Hi Dennis, we have a "Photo-Gallery" here if you haven't found it yet.  Upload the pictures there and Sparky, or I, will ok them.

(top line of buttons)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 06:45:04 PM »
Hey Dennis I have been a little lax on this portion of the forum.  If you get back to big time PA, maybe I can get David Trible to do more than just Topeka every couple of years.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »
Doc:
Dave Trible - now THAT's a name I have not heard in a long time either.  How's he doing these days?  As for my "comeback;  I went out flying a couple weeks ago and I was AMAZED at how much I had forgotten!  Still after a half dozen flights I started feeling in control. Aerobatics? yes, PRECISION - sigh.....
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2007, 04:38:51 PM »
Doesn't seem to hurt Dirty Dan. Don't worry about white pants. Even the glorious Mr. Walker wears jeans to contests these days.    LL~

Hi, Guys.....I wasnt into it at the time, started early 70s...can't tell you how much I enjoy seeing these great old images....one thing i do remember concerning white pants and belts (this is a quiz)....what was a "Double Cleveland"..Hint: it had nothing to do with modeling, only attire....Bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here