News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: deleted  (Read 2393 times)

Offline John Eyer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
deleted
« on: August 16, 2011, 02:32:53 PM »
d
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:21:25 AM by John Eyer »

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Meet Spring 1971 at Hudson Valley Community College
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 05:35:26 AM »
Yellow and maroon JUDGE is by Arty Myers. the design is by Gene Shaffer. Memory of a 14 year old. Gene schaffer's judge was orange.
Jose Modesto

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 12:00:47 PM »
JOHN...
THESE ARE AWESOME AWESOME AWSOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMME PHOTOS!
KEEP THAT SCANNER WARMED UP AND KEEP UM COMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIN!
Don Shultz

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »
Yellow and maroon JUDGE is by Arty Myers. the design is by Gene Shaffer. Memory of a 14 year old. Gene schaffer's judge was orange.
Jose Modesto

Is that Dick in the ball cap all the way back along the guard rail? Seems like his garb but the photo is not clear enough.

Mac's Cursader is to die for.

Looks like Schaffers flight box near the Judge however. I clearly remember that flight box. Unless someone copied Gene's at a later date he painted it white.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 05:20:40 PM »
The Judge is indeed Gene's machine. Take a look at the AMA number: 30880. That's Gene's number. There was one other Judge built, and it was owned by Robbie Feinstein. I flew Gene's Judge a lot. I attached the down line on the plane to the up line on my handle and the up line on the plane to the down line on the handle and flew it as if I were flying my own model inverted. Worked great! Years later Billy Eybers convinced Gene to let him fly the Judge, but he tried to do it the way Gene did. The ship was gone a half lap later. I'm attaching a photo of the remains of Robbie Feinstein's ship. It has a broken stab and the cool wheel spats are gone, but it could be repaired and flown in a pinch. Better yet, Robbie has consented to let me borrow the Judge and measure and draw it up accurately. It is a legal Classic design. It was built in 1967 around a Mike Stott foam Chipmunk wing.

I'm also attaching Chapter One of the Genesis book that I'm writing because there is reference to the Judge in the opening chapter. The story of the Judge is a short piece at the beginning of that chapter, but I thought that some of you might enjoy the rest of the chapter as well. There is also a reference to Vic's Crusader in this chapter. Please do not feel compelled to read it... there will not be a quiz...

Ah, memories! - Bob Hunt

Excerpt from Story of the Genesis:

Genesis

Chapter One

The Search for Individuality

The end for my original Caprice model came on a wind swept Mitchell Field on Long Island in the spring of 1969. Gene Schaffer, Bill Simons and I had traveled there to compete in an early contest. It was March as I recall, and the wind was so strong that virtually everyone either declined to even make the trip to the contest site, or those who did promptly turned around and left after they arrived. Gene, Bill and I stayed on for a while, hoping that the wind would die down enough to allow for some practice flights at least.

Instead, the wind just got stronger and we soon realized that there would be no hope for any meaningful flying that day. Gene decided to do some wind-flying. He was quite famous for his skills at that. Bill and I watched in amazement as Gene performed literally dozens of dead-stick lazy eights, loops and square loops with his Blackbird. He could sure put on a show!

I decided that I wanted to try my hand at dead-stick wind-flying, and despite Bill’s objections (He always was the logical and practical one…) I gave it a try. Things actually went pretty well and it was easy to use the power of the wind to push the model up and over the top in maneuvers. So long as I kept things fairly big and kept the proper timing by allowing the model to penetrate into the wind far enough on the sides of the maneuvers to allow the wind to push it back over with force, wind-flying was easy; right up to the point where I tried to do some square loops and lost my timing.

The result was a splattered Caprice, with bits of balsa and foam blowing down the runway seemingly into oblivion. Poignant it was, and just as the parts disappeared I realized that I didn’t have a new ship on the building board. I had been mustered out of the Army in late 1968 and didn’t even try to get a new plane going over that winter. I figured that the Caprice would take me through the 1969 contest season and then I would build a new ship over the next winter for the 1970 season.

Gene offered me one of his models as a practice ship until I could build a new one of my own, but his models were set up to fly clockwise while mine were rigged in the more normal manner to fly counterclockwise.

Gene suggested that I should try attaching the up line from my handle to the down line of one of his models and the down line from the handle to the up line of the model. He said that if I concentrated on the spinner I should be able to fly as if I were doing the pattern from the inverted position and at least get in some practice. I thought it sounded reasonable. Bill Simons was sure that with this plan we were about to plant two models in the same day!

Well, it worked! I was able to fly Gene’s Judge with no problems, just so long as I didn’t think too much. And, in fact, I used that model in some local competitions (Sans appearance points of course). I even placed third flying it in one local meet! I was able to keep my hand in on the flying while I worked on a new model.

In those days I was torn between several different “looks” for a stunt model. I really liked Gene’s low-slung type of styling, but I also liked the jet style that was becoming popular. I designed two models that spring of 1969. One was a jet styled ship with almost F-86 Sabre Jet looks that I dubbed the Tangent. The other one was a low-slung fuselage model that featured tricycle landing gear with wheel pants. That one was called the Avanti. I decided to go the “jet” route and quickly built the Tangent.

The Tangent was the second model that I built using one of Arnie and Mike Stott’s Foam Flite foam cored wings. I had also used one of their wings in the Caprice. In those days the foam wings did not have any internal coring, and they were prone to be a bit on the heavy side. But, they were very accurate and strong and allowed a model to be built very quickly.

The Tangent went together without any problems and I was sure that this one would be the model that would put me in the spotlight on the eastern stunt scene. It was finished in metallic blue with orange and white trim, and I thought it was really beautiful. I kept that thought right up to the point when the clear topcoat was sprayed on.

It seems that the auto primer that I used as a fillercoat reacted with the clear and it bled through the color coats. It was a mess! And the 1969 Nats was only a couple of weeks away. I was disheartened but decided to mount the engine in it and finish up the detail work to get it ready to fly anyway.

As providence would have it, the Tangent flew incredibly well! It turned equally upright and inverted and was light enough so that there was no stall in even extremely tight turns. I was able to begin flying patterns with it right away and felt that this one was a winner – except for the very flawed finish.

Pride kept me from entering that model in the 1969 Nats, but I went to the meet in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania with Bill anyway to launch for him and coach him. He was flying his original design Shoestring that would be published a few years later in Flying Models magazine. Bill and I stayed with the legendary Red Reinhardt at his home in Doylestown, Pennsylvania that week, and I had a great time in spite of the disappointment of not being able to fly. Red, Bill and I stayed up until the wee hours each night during our stay playing killer games of Ping-Pong.

For the record, Bob Lampione won that Nats flying his semi-scale F-86 Sabre Jet. His ship was far better looking than mine would have been even if the finish hadn’t gone awry.

Upon return from that Nats I decided to refinish the Tangent and used auto paints for the color coats and an auto lacquer as a clear topcoat to avoid any further incompatibility with the primer. Predictably the model came out very heavy and it never did fly well again. That’s too bad, because that was a good design. It was built around the same moment arms that the Caprice was, and those were the “Secret Moments” that Gene had developed a few years earlier (9 3/8-inch nose moment and 14 ¾-inch tail moment). Those numbers were used to build a very large number of east coast stunt models in those years.

With the failure of the Tangent project, the Avanti design was brought out of mothballs and started in the fall of 1969. This time I used an extended Chipmunk wing and somewhat longer moments than I had used on my previous two models. In fact, that was the first foam core wing that I cut myself and used in a contest model. Up to that point I used the Foam-Flite wings. I chose that wing design because Gene had used it in his Judge, and I really liked the way that flew when I borrowed it after the Ill-fated wind-flying episode.

The Avanti featured a forward cockpit on a long, thin fuselage and it had a very low-slung, Gene Schaffer-type rudder on the aft end. Stylish it was, and both Gene and Bill really liked the look of it. We all went out together for the maiden flight. The very first flight proved that the ship was a real winner in all respects. I had installed half span flaps on that one, and the result was a model that had a very tight but smooth corner. Again I knew that I had the model with which to make a name for myself.

Before the third flight, while preparing to start the model upside down, Gene, who was holding it, said that his hand was wet. That could only mean one thing. The tank had sprung a leak and it had dumped the entire load of fuel into the fuselage and onto the raw internal balsa. Almost immediately the finish started to curdle. Two really good models in a row were ruined almost right from the start! Yes, the thought to quit this hobby/sport did cross my mind for more than a moment at that time!

Fortunately I’m stubborn, and decided to design yet another new model. In retrospect I really should have built another Avanti or Tangent as each of them had proven to be great flyers. I guess I just had too many new ideas in my head at that time, and besides, designing is fun! It is truly a search for individuality.

I jumped back to the jet camp again, and designed a stunter around the lines of the Republic F-105 Thunderchief in early 1970. I didn’t build that model right away, however. I thought that the large drop tanks I had drawn would induce too much drag, and so I shelved the design for a while.

Vic Macaluso had designed a very striking semi-scale version of the  Crusader around that time that featured anhedral in the wing. None of us thought that it would fly like that, but Vic had the last laugh by coming up with a model that eventually won almost every contest on the East Coast in 1970.

Vic’s jet had many relief details on the fuselage in the form of fairings and scoops. It also had a set of very realistic drop tanks that were fitted to pylons that were attached to the wing. Very original and very impressive was the Crusader. Even more amazing was the fact that Vic built and finished this gorgeous model in but eight weeks!
I had always liked the side-view shape of the F-105 Thunderchief, but initially discarded it because the head of the model engine would stick down from the slim nose and spoil the jet look. The Sabre Jet configuration was a natural for hiding the engine and I suppose that is why so many of them have been designed as semi-scale stunters over the years.

The Thunderchief would also have to be built as an in-line design. The engine thrustline, wing centerline and tail centerline were all on the same line! I had heard that this configuration might cause problems, especially with the vertical center of gravity. Add to that the fact that this model would have tricycle landing gear and simulated drop tanks, and the potential vertical CG problem loomed even larger.

Naturally with all those negatives going for this design, I decided to go ahead and build it! Hey, sometimes a good-looking design just has to be tried in spite of the logic of physics… Did it work? You bet! The “Thud” turned out to be a really great flying model that turned equally upright and inverted. In fact, the model flew decidedly better with the removable drop tanks attached! I think the extra drag allowed me to power-up the OS Max H40S a bit more than normal and have something to “pull” against. Whatever the reasons, that model flew very nicely indeed and it carried me to that elusive first win in the Open class, against worthy competition.

The Chipmunk wing had proven to be a great choice for the slightly larger models that we were all starting to build to accept the more powerful .40 size engines that were beginning to become available. Instead of making the whole wing larger in span and chord for the F-105, I decided to go for a more high-aspect ratio look and simply extend the span while keeping the stock chord dimension. I really liked the high-aspect look, and I fully intend to revisit it very soon with a new model design.  

The Thunderchief was my first published design. I was invited to fly it in a modeling demonstration in Nyack, New York in the fall of 1971, and the legendary model magazine editor, Don McGovern was in attendance. He just loved that model and asked if I would like to have it appear in Flying Models magazine. I quickly accepted his offer, and spent the rest of that fall preparing the article and inking the plans.

Around Christmas in 1971 the article package was ready for Don’s perusal and he invited me to his home in Centereach Long Island just two days before I was scheduled to leave for the 1972 King Orange Internationals meet in Florida. I was really nervous about meeting with this modeling legend in his home one-on-one. I was even more nervous that he would say my work was not up to magazine standards. I was just a wreck as I made the long trek out onto the “Island.”

As it turned out, Don really liked the article package and we went out to a local field to get a few photos of the model. Don had told me when he purchased the article that I could not depict a foam wing on the plan. At that time there were not too many foam wing stunt models being built, and there were really only two commercial foam wing cutters that specialized in cutting CL Stunt wings (Foam-Flite and my newly formed Control Line Specialties Company). Don wanted to be certain that this model could be constructed in the normal manner as well as with a foam core wing. I wasn’t even sure that the built-up wing I drew on the plans would go together correctly!
I had thought up a really neat fixture that incorporated two pieces of ¼ inch thick balsa that would serve as the actual leading and trailing edges. They were to have a piece of 1/8 inch square balsa glued at a point that would pickup the center of the ribs, which in turn were to have 1/8 inch notches cut accurately at the front and rear. The ¼ inch balsa pieces extended down to the bench top and when assembled the wing was suspended between them. Sort of like the Lincoln-Log method that Tom Morris came up with years later, only the fixture pieces were trimmed to be the actual leading and trailing edges after the wing was constructed.

Fortunately I found out that the wing depicted on the plans was easy to build and turned out warp free. Several modelers have built that design with that wing. Today I’d opt for the Lost-Foam system to build this wing, and I recently received a photo of a Thunderchief that Ed Capitainelli built that way. It’s gorgeous - just like all of Ed’s work!

The Thud placed in or won many contests over its two-year life span, and then it bit the dust in a most embarrassing way.

In March of 1973 I attended the annual spring meet in Warminster, Pennsylvania at the Johnstown Naval Research Facility (That’s where the centrifuge that was used for Astronaut training was located!). That contest had become known for very bad weather conditions, but I wanted to go anyway. Billy Simons tagged along, but he warned me that it was going to be very windy at the contest site. To say that he was correct in that assumption would be a monumental understatement! But, hey, we were there and there was a contest.

Billy opted to leave his brand new “Gambit” (A ship also built around those “Secret Moments” that Gene had pioneered) safely in the car. I wasn’t that smart. I decided to enter and fly. Bill tried very hard to talk me out of this decision. As I wrote earlier, Bill Simons was always the voice of reason…

The wind was a constant 18 to 20 mph. And it was a cold wind; the type that has real “push” to it. I fired up the OS .40H and took off on what would quickly become the farewell journey for the Thunderchief.

It was so windy that the increased line tension downwind forced me to use both hands on the handle through maneuvers. Try that sometime. Anyway, I managed to make it safely all the way to the inside square loops. The Thunderchief was rocketing through the maneuver and was pulling like a freight train at the pull out point. On the downward portion of the second inside square the up line snapped. With such incredible line pull the model was fed full down control instantly, as the model was now being tethered by only one line. The result was the most amazing outside corner you ever saw, but, albeit, at only five foot altitude. The result was predictable; the model hit the ground hard at about a 45 degree angle. Did I mention that it hit hard?

As I think back on it now, like during any catastrophe, time went into a sort of warp and all of it seemed to be happening in ultra slow motion. Just after the airplane hit the asphalt and disintegrated, all the pieces “bounced” up into the air as if straining to erase what had just happened. I vividly remember that all the pieces were in relatively the right orientation, only they were several feet apart. The result was a momentary image of this surreal model that was flying but not connected part-to-part. It was one of the most eerie moments in my life. Still is to this day.
As if the crash and loss of my best model (my only model really…) was not bad enough, I now had to face one Bill Simons who was in full “I told you so, Dummy” mode. I was scolded good and proper, and he really never did let me forget that day.

Alas, I reconciled that I would have to go home and get to work on a new ship right away. I was heading for my car when a youngster ran up to me and asked if I was the flier who crashed the model. “Yes, that was me,” I answered, and then he held out his hand which held the badly bent remains of the rear cone section of the 2-inch diameter Veco Needle Nose spinner and asked, “Do you know where the front part of this is?” At that point I wanted to cry.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:09:40 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
It just dawned on me that the photo of the Judge taken at the Hudson valley Community college was the day I flew Gene's Judge in competition! I gave up appearance points, of course, and they let me fly it. I took third in that meet... I had to fly the entire patten - including takeoff and landing - as if I were flying my own ship inverted! It really wasn't that difficult.

The reason I know that this was that day is that my metal field box is sitting on the other side of the Judge and Gene was flying the Stunt Machine on that day. The fact that the Stunt Machine isn't in the photo next to Gene's flight box must be because he was flying it at that moment. I also remember that my car broke down at that meet and my Fiance, Marianne (now my wife of 38 years...) and I had to cram into Vic Macaluso's Chevy coupe in order to get home!

Again, ahhh, memories...

Bob Hunt  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:51:37 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:16:13 PM »
AMAZING MEMORY SKILLS BOB!!! H^^
Thanks guys for posting these wonderful stories...from the past....and these photos really can connect so many memories that were so deeply hidden in our tired old dope fumed damaged brain cells.

Of all the things I miss the most....are my XXX unit and lame brain memory banks :'( n~ LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:39:02 PM »
By the way, Vic Macaluso won the contest that day at Hudson Valley Community College. Gene placed second. That was a great year for Vic as he won almost every cotest he entered. The Crusader was a great flying ship!

Bob Hunt

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »
I knew that I had nailed the owner of that flight box. I was so impressed with it that I patterned mine around it. Gene never brought more than a quart of fuel to the field, The fuel can was plumbed to a electric pump hidden inside the box. Aslo inside was a rudimentary power panel. He would hook up the fuel filler tubing to a niple on the box hit a switch and fuel the plane. The glo plug wire also plugged into the box and was activated by another switch. Gene carried very little inside the box to the field as you can note the compact nature of the box. When it was time to fly gene would take the box close to the plane, fuel up and start the engine, then simply move the box to the side, no loose stuff lying around, very neat compact and efficient.

My box has all the same features but I decided to use a Samsonite hard shell cosmetics makeup case instead of building my own, that this is tough as nails and has survived over 25 years now. It is due for a refurb however. I had another one before but that one was lost when my car was broken into.

Attached is a photo of the type of case I modified, Mine is Blue.

When did Gene switch to CCW models? I never recall seeing him fly clockwise. Bob you loose out big time. The 8mm movie footage I sent you years ago that somehow got lost had footage of Gene doing the pattern with the stunt machine and Bob Lampione doing the pattern with the Saber Stunter, Bill Simons flying was also on that reel with a ton of other stuff.

I have on video if I can find it Windy flying the Strega, and Vic and the tsunami, Ill have to look for it though.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »
And I've had plans for the Thud on my shop wall for many years. I've threatened to build it several times. It's cool.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »
Gene never did fly counterclockwise. The Judge in the photos that I posted is the one that Robbie Feinstein built at the same time that Gene built his, and that's Robbie holding it. The one I flew was Gene's ship that did indeed fly clockwise. Again, Robbie's is still in existence and I'm scheduled to pick it up so that I can measure it and draw plans for it. It was designed and built in 1967, so it is a legal Classic design - whether flown clockwise or counterclockwise...  y1

Gene's flight box, by the way, was converted from a shoeshine box! I also liked it and I designed one that was just slightly larger to accommodate some of our modeling stuff better, and had one built by Jim Capstaff, owner of Capstaff's Custom Craftsmanship woodworking shop. Jim was also a modeler and he made kits of that box and sold them for several years. Lou Wolgast had one and it was getting old, so he had John Callentine make up a few kits of them. I have one of those in kit form if anyone is interested.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the young gentleman sitting on the fence near the stuka-like model is Wayne Colgan.

Not sure how I "Lose out big time." Those were the very best years of my life, and flying and competing with those guys will stay vivid in my memory for the rest of my life. I'd say that I won big time! ;D

Later - Bob

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:53:11 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 01:40:31 PM »
Gene never did fly counterclockwise. The Judge in the photos that I posted is the one that Robbie Feinstein built at the same time that Gene built his, and that's Robbie holding it. The one I flew was Gene's ship that did indeed fly clockwise. Again, Robbie's is still in existence and I'm scheduled to pick it up so that I can measure it and draw plans for it. It was designed and built in 1967, so it is a legal Classic design - whether flown clockwise or counterclockwise...  y1

Gene's flight box, by the way, was converted from a shoeshine box! I also liked it and I designed one that was just slightly larger to accommodate some of our modeling stuff better, and had one built by Jim Capstaff, owner of Capstaff's Custom Craftsmanship woodworking shop. Jim was also a modeler and he made kits of that box and sold them for several years. Lou Wolgast had one and it was getting old, so he had John Callentine make up a few kits of them. I have one of those in kit form if anyone is interested.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the young gentleman sitting on the fence near the stuka-like model is Wayne Colgan.

Not sure how I "Lose out big time." Those were the very best years of my life, and flying and competing with those guys will stay vivid in my memory for the rest of my life. I'd say that I won big time! ;D

Later - Bob

Gene flew CCW of this I am sure. The lost footage had him at Flushing meadow park flying several models CCW including a bright yellow Bi Slob. Did you ever lend him your Genesis? Perhaps it was a borrowed model, or he perhaps was flight checking some one elses. I remember him showing up at FMP with Lampione a few times in a Yellow Cab. Bob have you ever flown at Flushing Meadow? I think I may have seen you there once or twice with Lampione and Schaffer if so you may have been in that footage as well. Also I know that some one in that group had a model covered almost completely in chrome monokote.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 06:12:22 PM »

Actually Gene did fly counterclockwise once. I really was not going to mention this, Peter, until you brought it up again. Here's the story...

After having suggested to me that I could fly his Judge clockwise by simply reversing the controls (up line on the plane to down line on the handle, etc.) and then seeing me do it successfully, Gene did indeed give it a brief try. It was in late 1974 at Flushing Meadows Park. I had brought my 1974 version Genesis 46 over there to fly one evening. Gene sort of flippantly said that since he let me fly the Judge that I should let him fly my ship. That sounded reasonable to me; after all Gene was about the best flier in the world to me.

We switched the lines around and he got a handle setting. I launched the ship and Gene took off and flipped it over inverted immediately - just as I had done initially with the Judge years before. In that manner he was flying "upright" in his mind to his normal way of flying. He did one loop and then called for me to come out to the center of the circle. When I got there I saw that Gene had a rather panicked look on his face, and he uttered these exact words: "Bobby, I can't do this!" Now, remember that I couldn't grab the handle - it was inverted from what I was used to. Gene was becoming more panicked as each second passed and I was pretty sure that I was going to be heading home with a lot of white, bronze and red pieces in but a few short moments.

I told Gene to just relax and just fly the plane high and not look at it. His normal reflexes would then just fly the ship safely... at least until the engine started to run out of fuel. I told him that the way I was successful at flying ‘backwards” in the way we set up the Judge (and the Stunt Machine many years later) was to look only at the spinner of the ship and totally blank out where the landing gear legs were exiting the wing. He gathered up his fortitude and when the engine started to lean a bit he flipped the Genesis over and concentrated REAL HARD! He was able to land it safely, but was so incredibly shaken that I don’t believe that he ever tried that again. Of course, I could be wrong; he might have tried it with a Bi Slob or some other ship at another time. I wouldn’t bet my life on it, however…

In 1981 I was out of CL Stunt flying. I had quit after the 1980 season and decided to give RC Aerobatics a try. I was asked by Lanny Shorts to be the Assistant Event Director for the 1982 Nats CL Stunt program, and one of my duties would be to train the judges and fly the warm up flights for them. Since I didn’t have a plane, I asked Gene if I could borrow the Stunt Machine to perform that duty. He thought that was a neat idea and that it might bend a few minds if I did that.

I practiced real hard with the Stunt Machine and got it flying to the point where I actually considered coming back to competition CL Stunt flying the next year with a clockwise flying model!   Obviously, that never happened… I did bring the Stunt Machine to the Nats in 1982 (Lincoln, Nebraska) and was practicing with it to the utter amazement of the other fliers there. Really, I had it down very well with that ship and it felt completely natural. I was ready to begin the judge training with it when Lanny approached me and said that he’d received a complaint from one of the competitors about me using that ship for warm up flights. It seems that one fellow – who shall remain anonymous – thought that flying a “backwards” ship would confuse the judges. Trust me, his flying confused the judges plenty anyway… I told Lanny that the Stunt Machine was the only ship that I had that I could do the training with and he asked me to ask around to see if anyone had a backup ship that they would be willing to lend me. Turns out that Bob McDonald had his Aquilla with him as a spare and offered it to me. The first flight on his ship was rather nerve wracking, as my reflexes had become used to flying the pattern from the “inverted” position in my mind. After a few practice flights I was comfortable with it. It was actually an excellent flying ship.

I probably put between 60 and 80 patterns on the original Stunt Machine. It still exists to this day! Gene gave it to me and it resided in my apartment shop for a few years when I was living in Newton, New Jersey. I needed the space that it was occupying, and so I left it over at my friend, Lou Wolgast’s house. Lou kept it there for many years and when he moved to Tucson, he took it with him. By then neither one of us thought much about that.

Recently my very good friend, Warren Tiahrt decided that he wanted to build a Stunt Machine for Nostalgia 30 and contacted me about cutting the cores for it. I had cut the cores for the original Stunt Machine many years earlier and told him sure, but I also told him that the Stunt Machine depicted on the plans from Carstens Publication was NOT the one that Gene actually flew. He was puzzled and so I told him the story that follows, which is an excerpt from my Story of the Genesis book:

Excerpt:
 Gene had started building a new twin-rudder model for competition use in 1971 and produced what may be his best known design, the Stunt Machine. Even though the Oosa-Amma was actually the first model to have the Stunt Machine design qualities, Gene didn’t name it. In fact, even the Stunt Machine that was published in Flying Models in December of 1971 didn’t get named that until Don McGovern, Editor of Flying Models at that time, informed Gene that it had to have a name to appear in print. In typical, no-nonsense Gene Schaffer style, he called it what it really was: a Stunt Machine. Gene took his first of four second places at the Nats in 1971 flying that ship, and a few weeks later was well on his way to making his first FAI Team when the Stunt Machine ran out of fuel before completing the pattern on a critical flight. He dropped to an Alternate position.

The story of the publishing of the original Stunt Machine is worthy of some ink here, as it has been the source of much confusion and even some anger by some over the years.

Gene allowed a casual modeling friend, who was a draftsman, to draw up the Stunt Machine plans for Flying Models. Unfortunately, Gene never did check the resulting plans for accuracy and the actual plans that were published with the article were extremely flawed. In fact, they were nowhere near accurate in almost any respect. Many modelers purchased those plans thinking that they were receiving prints to build accurate replicas of the model that Gene had flown in 1971, but, alas they got something completely different.

Amazingly, the models built from the flawed FM plans actually flew quite well. The fact that they were not really true Stunt Machines seems to be a point of contention for some. It has been argued by some that the magazine plans were accurate, but the truth is they are not. How do I know this for sure? Gene gave me the original Stunt Machine many years ago. I flew that plane using the same technique that I did to fly his Judge a few years earlier. It was a fantastic flying ship! I put at least 60 flights on that model over a short time and then retired it. Also, I cut the wing cores for the Stunt Machine and knew what wing it had in it, which was essentially a stock Nobler with extended span panels. As I recall, we just slightly modified the stock Nobler airfoils when we made those templates to allow for a tiny bit more leading edge radius.

In the early 1980s I was living in an apartment in Newton, New Jersey during the first of the years that I worked for Flying Models. I didn’t have too much storage space in my tiny bedroom workshop and so I asked my good friend, Lou Wolgast to store the Stunt Machine for me at his house. It stayed there for quite a few years and when Lou moved to Tucson in the late 1980s he took it with him. It resided in storage at his Tucson home for many more years.

Recently Warren Tiahrt expressed interest in building a Stunt Machine and asked me to cut and cover a set of wings for him. He had purchased the published plans from Flying Models and was ready to begin construction until I told him the story that was related above. Warren’s solution was to make the 10 minute drive over to Lou Wolgast’s house, get the aging Stunt Machine and bring it back to his house for comparison measuring.

I’ve been privileged to have been invited to stay with Warren and Barbara Tiahrt for the past few years at their beautiful home in Tucson while attending the annual Vintage Stunt Championships. Two years ago during my visit (2009), Warren and I laid the magazine plans for the published Stunt Machine on the floor and began carefully comparing them to the actual model. What we found was that very few of the measurements of the two are anywhere near alike. Consequently, Warren made extremely accurate notes from measuring the actual model and has begun to draw a set of “real” Stunt Machine plans.  He hopes to make them available for purchase in the future. End of excerpt.

Okay, the above tells the actual story of the Stunt Machine (The actual one pictured in the initial post on this thread). The really good news is that, since the writing of the above story in my book, Warren has completed his totally accurate Stunt Machine and has flown it quite a bit. He’s still trimming it out, but it is showing great promise. Warren hopes to make plans available soon, so we will finally have a source for plans for the REAL Stunt Machine.

It’s amazing to me how all this stuff just floods back into conscious memory when something like this thread appears. Stuff I thought I’d forgotten forever.

Did I fly much at Flushing Meadows? Hundreds of times it seems. We would go over (Bill Simons and me) there to meet Gene and Bob Lampione for early morning flying sessions a lot. I also went over a lot on my own. Flew lots of contests there, and got to know a very young Jose Modesto, and an even younger Will DeMauro. I flew there with Sonny Colagrande, Bobby Miller, Chipmunk Joe, Andy Lee and Mike Rogers and, of course, “Big Jim” Greenaway. The memories from Flushing Meadows are thick in my mind… Great times and great fliers.  

Later – Bob Hunt      

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for the memories. That was the period just before I returned to NJ from St Louis. Since I know almost everyone that you have mentioned, it is a treasure to read this.

Gene is still, in my opinion, the best flyer that never won the Nats. He flew one of two nearly perfect patterns that I have witnessed in all these years. The other person was Ed Elasick. I could probably add a few Gene stories but will leave that to another time.  But I will say that Gene and I played 4 handed piano at my house one day and had a ball.
AMA 7544

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »
Back when I was a kid (10 or 11) and learned to fly, my cousin, Bill Mayo taught me at Whittier Narrows. He flew clockwise and so that's how I learned to fly. I stopped flying when I went to college. Years later I met Pat Johnston and started flying again. Pat flew counter-clockwise and so, I flew counter-clockwise and largely have since then. Weirdly, I've flown clockwise a few times since then. I have one plane set up that way. Takes two or three flights to get me back in the groove, but I can fly either way (I'm much better flying counter-clockwise). I suppose it's because I originally flew one way then learned another.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »
One of the local organizers of that meet in Troy was Ron Monroe...who still gets out with us once in a while to fly stunt, though he is now an accomplished r/c scale builder and flyer.  One of the "senior" flyers in the area, he still has a huge interest in stunt!
ama 72090

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here