News:

• May 02, 2024, 06:01:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DALE KIRN... MASTER MONO-LINER & STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
DALE KIRN... MASTER MONO-LINER & STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY
« on: May 14, 2007, 09:54:28 AM »
DALE KIRN!
Dale is one of our most gifted modelers of all time who addiction started many years ago.

I always admired Dales creative and innovative ideas in control line modeling and especially was amazed at his mono line control systems that he used in both speed and stunt.

Almost every month you couldn't pick up any model magazine without seeing or reading something that Dale would bring to the modeling benches of our modeling world.

Dale Kirn was so much more than just a gifted and successful modeler who set so many records and received so many awards on a regular basis....it was his willingness to share his ideas and innovations with everyone. He opened the eyes (and ears..with his record setting Stanzel-mono line jet speed models) but more importantly, he  opened our minds to the possibilities that stunt models could also be unique in design and concept.
 I was blown away at his many mono-line control line stunt models and just how beautiful and precise he could fly these single lined models. He led the way...when he started flying his control line stunters with that Stanzel mono line?

I stumbled onto Dales website this morning....and can not think of a more fitting stunt grunt of the day than own beloved and  amazing DALE KIRN, master modeler who's passion and willingness to self-lessly  mentor, teach and share his expertise with so many many modelers.

His contributions are monumental.

Go to:
http://Kirn.hypermart.net/dale_oty04.htm

Email is: CA-Kirns@webtv.net

Take time and SHARE YOUR DALE KIRN MOMENTS WITH US...and enjoy the ride through Dales amazing life in modeling that he has shared with so many of us over the years.

For example: Just go to www.google.com   Simply type: Dale Kirn (click in "images") and enjoy the ride through modeling history. "DALE IS THE A n' the O of modeling."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 10:22:11 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
Re: DALE KIRN... MASTER MONO-LINER & STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 12:36:55 PM »

Funny how you put him here right now. I talked to "Dale" about a week ago, wonderful gentleman. We talked for about a half hour. All about Mono Line and Stunt.The conversation finally got around to putting a Mono Line Unit in a Ringmaster S1. He sent me tons of information. This is a wonderful person to talk to. I look forward to it again. A more helpful and enthusiastic man you will never find.

"Billy G"  H^^
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 04:26:39 PM »
Dale Kirn is one of the truely great gentlemen in control line.  Can't exactly remember when we first met, but, it seemed like he had known me all his life.  Charley Wilson at Charley's Hobby Shop in KCK used to rattle me when I would walk in and he would say I missed Dale by a few minutes.  Had fun at several NATS helping him with the kids and the PT-19 planes he helped them fly.  Every hour he would draw a name of one of people and give them a complete ready to fly PT-19.  He was also our source for Cox parts most of the time.  Now i remember when it was i first met him.  Wayne Meriwether was going for the Junior Championship in 1964.  My first NATS.  His A speed had blown the engine.  Dale gave him one of the early Tee Dee 15's for speed.  He also told Wayne if it worked keep it, if not bring it back.  A few years ago I obtained the engine from the estate of Byron Meriwether(Wayne's dad) and sent it back  to Dale.  He didn't remember the incident until he got the engine.  It was a bit different then the one that went on the market. 

Also watching Dale's son Joe fly the Thunderbird that Dale competed with in its original condition at one of the early VSC's I had attended.  Did not watch the plane that much, too busy watching Joe work that monoline control.    So many stories about Dale that could or should be told.

Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 07:38:41 AM »
In December of 2003, I got a phone message to call Dale Kirn!  I was floored, Dale Kirn is one of my heros, right up there with George Aldrich, Howard Bonner, Sal Taibi, Phil Kraft, etc.  Why in the heck would he want to talk to me?

Dale is closely associated with the Stanzel Model Aircraft Museum in Schulenberg, Texas.  Among other things, in the 30's, the Stanzel brothers invented an amusement park ride know as the Strato Ship.  These were installed in amusement parks all over the United States and the world.  Dale was (and is) trying to find one to install at the museum.

It turns out the Strato Ship was actually manufactured by RE Chambers (originally Travers Engineering) right here in Beaver Falls, PA, about 1/4 mile from where I live.  I never even knew rides were made here; they also made the Turtle and the Laff in the Dark rides; you may have ridden these.

Dale saw my ad in the Model Engine Collectors' Swap Sheet, saw "Beaver Falls", and called me to see if I could help him locate a Strato Ship.  So far I haven't succeeded, but if you find one, Dale would love to know.

Dale is a real gentleman, very humble, and very friendly.  I am so glad I got to meet him, even if only over the phone and by letters.

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 08:54:25 AM »
Dale is one of a kind. A true modeler in every way. Last year he had a display of many of his models in the Smoky Hill museum in Salina Ks. I will try to post a few pictures of some of the displays. As his daughter lives about 35 miles north of me, he comes to visit every so often. Last time he was here, he came to my house and we spent the day talking models. It was one of the most enjoyable days I have ever spent. Dale built the B-25h on a farm just west of where I live, and won 1st place in Sr. Flying Scale, and had the highest points of all planes entered, (57) entries, at the 49 Nats in Olathe Ks. Check out the Atwood 49's in the 25. Just one of many of his great wins.
Jim Kraft

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 10:29:45 AM »
I hope that someday soon....he will join us on www.stunthanger.com 
I have E mailed him but hey, I get so many pieces of crapalldo spam E mails....and I have only met Dale once in my life and getting a weirdo E mail from a "donolddo" would be enough to make ANYONE HIT THE "DELETE BUTTON UNTO OTHERS...BEFORE THEY DELETALDDO UNTO YOU!" n~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Jim Kraft...THANKS SOOOOO MUCH FOR THE INSIGHT ON DALE. and especially for those beautiful photos.
(Anyone lurking...who knows Dale, it would be such an honor for us here on stunthanger if he could HANG with us from time to time?
Don Shultz

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 01:18:09 PM »
Don; I called Dale earlier today and told him how to get on Stunthanger so he could see this board. We had to leave for awhile, and just got back, so I will contact him later and check with him. He really is a special guy. Awhile back he was telling me about some of the people he has worked with over the years, and I just sat there with my mouth open. The stories could fill a book. He is a great modeler, and even more, a great people person. I hope he gets on here and lets us know. He is also a very humble man.
Jim Kraft

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 04:13:38 PM »
Don; I called Dale earlier today and told him how to get on Stunthanger so he could see this board. We had to leave for awhile, and just got back, so I will contact him later and check with him. He really is a special guy. Awhile back he was telling me about some of the people he has worked with over the years, and I just sat there with my mouth open. The stories could fill a book. He is a great modeler, and even more, a great people person. I hope he gets on here and lets us know. He is also a very humble man.

Thank you James....I keep getting private E mails asking us to invite Dale. We truly look forward to the possiblities that he might join in from time to time and share some of the good stuff with us.
Don Shultz

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 06:11:25 PM »
Don; I got an E-mail from Dale, and he said he is having trouble getting on the forum. He keeps getting a message that he has to be approved by the forum administrator or some such. It has been so long since I have done this that I can't remember how I got on. Could you maybe give him a call later and walk him through this? I believe his phone # is on his web site. Thanks
Jim Kraft

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 08:27:26 PM »
Let me see what I can do.....the only trouble most folks have...is that they need to show their real name somewhere on the sign up info but and let me run this by our big Bill Little. He always comes through...for us.

If you are lurking DALE!!! WE"LL HAVE YOU IN THE HANGER SHORTLY?
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 08:45:17 PM »
Hey Stunt Grunts....until we can get DALE KIRN checked into our stunthanger...
Check out Dales OUTSTANDING WEBSITE...AND HIS LINKS ARE AWESOME. Really opens up our world of control line modeling.

http://Kirn.hypermart.net/dale_oty04.htm
http://Kirn.hypermart.net/links.htm
Don Shultz

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 09:03:22 PM »
Thanks Don; Another place to look is the AMA web site, as Dale is a hall of famer, his bio is on there. Very interesting stuff.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 03:38:10 PM »
Dale has been approved!  I *think* I did that yesterday....... but either way, he should be able to login with no problems!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here