News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:02:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BOB GIESEKE STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
BOB GIESEKE STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!
« on: December 26, 2006, 12:00:49 PM »
BOB GIESEKE...AND HIS 68 WORLD CUP "GIESEKE-NOBLER!"

What better way to start today...than a photo with Bob's beautiful red Nobler...just back from the 68 world cup and shot here at the Olatha nats!!!
May the new year ahead be filled with blessings and happiness!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:26:37 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: BOB GIESKE, STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 12:26:09 PM »
We were sitting around waiting to fly the first rounds here at the windy 68 Olatha Kansas nats.
Someone was talking with Bob, asking him if he had changed the ribs of the nobler...or rib platform of his stunter.
'Bob grinned...and said "LOOK RIGHT HERE WHERE I AM POINTING!"
I clearly state that I just took a FAT BALL POINT PEN...and traced over the standard kit Nobler ribs! HOW'S THAT FOR A SCIENTIFICAL' ANSWER?"
Forgive my long term memory loss....
I have forgotten the name of this equally gifted stunt flyer who wore this beautifully done white shirt that was so stylishly decorated with the silk screened GIESKE NOBLER PLANS?

By the way...that GIESKE GRUNT SHIRTED FLYER...flew an outstandingly beautifully built and finished Gieske Nobler of his own that day.
His flying skills surely made Bob Gieske very proud that someone as skilled as this grunt with the White shirt.
Just to think?

The Gieske Nobler is almost as popular today...as it was waaay back in the early 60's?
CONGRATULATIONS BOB!!! U RULE AS OUR STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!!

Help me name this friend of Bob's???

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:38:24 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 02:30:51 PM »
ANSWER?"
Forgive my long term memory loss....
I have forgotten the name of this equally gifted stunt flyer who wore this beautifully done white shirt that was so stylishly decorated with the silk screened GIESKE NOBLER PLANS?

By the way...that GIESKE GRUNT SHIRTED FLYER...flew an outstandingly beautifully built and finished Gieske Nobler of his own that day.
His flying skills surely made Bob Gieske very proud that someone as skilled as this grunt with the White shirt.
Just to think?
STAN BROCK...THANKS! STAN'S SHIRT WAS REALLY COOL, HUH?
The Gieske Nobler is almost as popular today...as it was waaay back in the early 60's?
CONGRATULATIONS BOB!!! U RULE AS OUR STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!!

Help me name this friend of Bob's???

« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 06:23:51 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 02:27:01 PM »
The mystery man is Stan Brock. Stan was a great builder and finisher. I remember his flawless but very simple blue and creme Gieseke Nobler and also his stunning Oriental.

I vividly remember Stan's Nobler shirt.  I wanted a shirt like that for years! Hey, I still do!

I have a couple of shots of Stan with his Nobler from the 1969 Nats. I'll try to find them and post them.

Later - Bob Hunt 

Offline catdaddy

• catdaddy
  • AMA Member
  • Commander
  • The Dude Abides
    • Tulsa Gluedobber Control Line Club
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 03:35:48 PM »
BOB GIESKE...AND HIS 68 WORLD CUP "GIESKE-NOBLER!"

What better way to start today...than a photo with Bob's beautiful red Nobler...just back from the 68 world cup and shot here at the Olatha nats!!!
May the new year ahead be filled with blessings and happiness!

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES...BOB GIESKE!!!

He looks like Bill Murray!
regards,
Rick"catdaddy"Blankenship

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 06:25:05 PM »
The mystery man is Stan Brock. Stan was a great builder and finisher. I remember his flawless but very simple blue and creme Gieseke Nobler and also his stunning Oriental.

I vividly remember Stan's Nobler shirt.  I wanted a shirt like that for years! Hey, I still do!

I have a couple of shots of Stan with his Nobler from the 1969 Nats. I'll try to find them and post them.

Later - Bob Hunt 
Thanks for being my lame brain Bob Hunt....my meistro of balsa and books. :)
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 08:16:18 PM »
At the '93 Vincennes/Lawerenceville NATS, I was out helping Al Reed change the speedometer cable in his car one night early in the week.  I had never actually talked to Mr. Gieseke one to one.  Well, I looked over in the "shadows" of the motel and there was the Bear out in front of his room!!  I walked over and chatted with him for a while.  Bad thing was I watched him hit the landing light on the runway while practicing, good thing is he flew it with no problems after the repairs! 

A few years later ('96 NATS) my oldest, Aaron, was having bad ebngine run troubles.  He was fairly young and his first NATS.  Everyone jumped in to help, the list is too long to recount, but at one point Mr Gieseke came over and tells Aaron to go fly in HIS place on the corner circle to see if things were ok.  He is a great guy.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 08:51:18 PM »
Okay, Shultz now you got me wound up! 

First Kostecky and now Gieske……….time to adjust the pipe!  No I don’t mean one of those carbon fiber doohickeys slung out of the bottom of yet another modern stunt ship.  We’re talkin’ about “The Original” yep, the first stunt flyer to use a pipe! 

To me, Bob was then and still is the ultimate study in style and execution of the competitive stunt flight.  I even wrote about him in my April 1974 Round & Round column in Model Airplane News. 

I still remember sitting at the edge of the circle watching his official flights.  Bob puffed on his pipe as his red Fox 35 powered G_Nobler puttered around in level flight setting up for the wing-over.  Then it was Showtime!  He would pop a pretty hard corner, the Nobler would start up and the Fox 35 would shift into some strange Fox gear and question whether or not this wingover thing was a good idea.  Everyone would hold their breath and wonder if it would ever make it to the top.  Bob just puffed his pipe, crouched to take up some of the slack in the lines, locked that big red Easy-Just handle and waited out that long climb to the top!  When the plane finally got to the top and headed down, the Fox would again shift into some strange gear allowing the plane to gather enough speed to turn a very sharp corner and head out inverted.  Everyone would exhale!  Then after half a lap inverted at a perfect 5’ there was another sharp corner and the whole thing started over again!  You just had to be there!
PT Granderson

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 09:22:50 PM »
Right on!!!
About Gieske's attitude..
That year...1968 my friend  (the late Tim Dunlop) walked up to Bob after he flew his first qualifying flight and asked....
"Hey Bob...U SCARED THE CRAP OUTTA ME...WHEN YOU TURNED THAT FIRST OUTSIDE CORNER OF THE REVERSE WING OVER. IT SOUNDED LIKE THAT OLD GOLD SERIES FOX OF YOUR'S ACTUALLY SHUT DOWN FOR A SECOND---------------
Bob gave him that friendly "SNYLE" of his...puffed on his pipe (the one he promised to bury at world cup..a few days before?" and said--
"Tim...NO, I WASN'T CONCERNED----I  TUNE IT THAT WAY--ESPECIALLY IN THESE HIGH WINDS..IN FACT! JUST THE OPPOSITE. I WANT TO HEAR THAT SOUND! IF I DIDN'T HEAR THAT BURP...THEN I WOULD BE CONSERNED?"

Then he gave his beautiful OLD RED to little BOB HOWARD...one of his many many young groupies of junior-senior stunt flyers...to carefully wipe the goo of all that slobbering castor off that flawless finish.
Bob Howard in 69 became a winning stunt pilot and took 2nd place with his own designed "Pegasus?" Bob was and is still quite a fan of Bob Gieske.  Looks like Bob was a very good student. Howard hung around Gieske...everytime Gieske appeared at the field.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 06:59:18 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here