News:

• April 26, 2024, 09:19:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: as time goes bye....  (Read 1537 times)

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
as time goes bye....
« on: April 17, 2012, 08:18:43 PM »
Here is my story...

I wish I had taken some pictures of my CL models when I was a kid. Don't think I ever thought of it.
But from 10 years old until I was around 17 I was building 1/2a models. I started with a few 1/2a kits. I think they were Sterling kits. I then started a collection of Carl Goldberg kits, LiL Wizard, something that look a combat wing was a solid sheet wing, and a Little Jumping Bean. I could never get the combat and Jumping Bean to fly very well. Reason was I did not know what the CG marker on the plans was about. I had no one to teach me to balance a plane. The Lil Wizard did fly well. I could do insides and wing overs with a little inverted flight. While in the 9th grade, as one of my first wood shop projects I scratched built plane from pine. I took 1/2 pine boards and ran them thru a planner until I got a thin sheet of pine. Cut out the parts on the band saw. Again I knew nothing about weight. It did get off the ground but was never a real flyer. I did get credit for it.
In the 10th grade someone gave me a few planes that was found in someones attic. I think one was a RingMaster not sure about the other one. I recovered one and never did fly it. I then bought a Akromaster and went to our local hobby shop and the guy sold me a McCoy 19. This was in the 70's so it was the heavy Series 21 model McCoy. It flew OK, but again was built heavy and I think I was to scared to try and loop it. It pulled like a horse compared to my 1/2a's.

I spent a lot of time in my room building models, and chewing ambroid glue off my fingers. I would open my windows and brush dope on my planes to try and make them match the box. All my models hung from my ceiling.

I am not sure what happened to all my models when I left home. I guess my mom just tossed them out when I went away to collage. I was digging around in her basement after I got married and I did find my old shop project along with my old McCoy / Testor .19. The plane was red when I was a kid. I did repaint it when Ryan and I started playing around with control line planes when he was around 10 or 12 and hung it up in his room.

I wish I would have met some of the people I know today back then. It would been more fun and I might have learned what CG and weight was all about.

My shop project. I know it is ugly but does have some childhood memories wrapped up in it. D>K
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: as time goes bye....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 05:55:20 AM »
Well I myself did a lot of reading about model planes, trains, cars and other things in the old Young Mens magazine.  It became Air Trails for Young Men, I beleive.   Building the Scientific 1/2A's taught me a lot.  Then  building a Sterling kit, which is the fore runner of the Brodak building manuals on the plan sheet.   No full size drawings of the complete plane.  All the details on one sheet of paper, including finishing and flying.   Did a lot of stick and tissue planes before the control line planes.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: as time goes bye....
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »
Hi Rootbeard!

You have some good memories of your youth and C/L flying, that's good!

I built some stick and tissue planes when I was little and a few plastic models.  When we moved to this area in 1963 I got really started in C/L.  Just before that I had just built a Guillows Thomas Morse Scout, which to me was a HUGE plane!  With in a year I was flying a Goldberg Shoestring with a McCoy Red Head up front.  I'm going to build a Brodak Shoestring to replicate the one I had....  Oh, yeah there were a couple of 1/2As along the way, including a Little Jumpin' Bean, and my first "large" C/L (27"! LOL!!) the Scientific King Cobra.  I still have my PDQ lit Circus Prince and hope to ave it flying this summer so that my Grandson will have a plane to move up on.

We've all come a long way! ;D

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here