News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:45:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AL RABE, CAPTAIN STUNT GRUNT  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
AL RABE, CAPTAIN STUNT GRUNT
« on: November 15, 2006, 11:04:09 PM »
Attached is a photo that Al sent me.....years ago!

GADS, DOES THIS PHOTO BRING BACK THE MEMORIES...
Al, if you are lurking...Everytime I see a beautiful P-51 Mustang, Bearcat, or a Sea Fury, they remind me of those years when you would fly in to the NW on some lay-over, and join us at the Boeing Space Center parking lots.
Equally, I thank you for your trust in allowing a few of us to sample a flight on that amazing BearCat with the Eagle in white on the side.

Never in my wildest dreams...would I have thought that a virtual full scale stunt model could out perform that old Blue Nobler of mine. That same week end at SanPoint Naval Air Station, you proved this concept was NO FLUKE..BY TAKIN' HOME FIRST PLACE!
Plus the years that followed....you sealed the deal that scale stunt models were not just some pretty face.

Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: AL RABE, CAPTAIN STUNT GRUNT
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 11:11:18 PM »
A great cover shot.....however the article inside is a GOLD MINE and a wealth of information about building a better stuntmodel.
Thanks Al...for the memories, my amazingly gifted friend in modeling.
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 11:24:15 PM »
I recall seeing Al flying his blue & white Bearcat at Sand Point...pretty windy, too. And I remember that he won. What I don't remember is what year it was. ?
 SH^  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 11:21:10 AM »
I recall seeing Al flying his blue & white Bearcat at Sand Point...pretty windy, too. And I remember that he won. What I don't remember is what year it was. ?
 SH^  Steve
YES! AL WON THAT DAY...I blew my brand new George Lieb designed airplane...all over the concrete on my first offical flight when the leadout failed.
 (I can almost  hear the explosion of balsa to tarmac noise....and see that outboard wing panel...being carried off, end over end, through the air---NORTH INTO THE LAKE!"
AT LEAST MY CRASH WAS INTO THE CEMENT...NOT INTO SOME POOR SOUL'S FACE!"
That was 1967 and luckily I still had my first new Sting for the LA nats.

Al took a very beautiful Red P-51 to the nationals that year. Bart Klapinski took first place over Dick Mathis that year. Bart was the best flyer...HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE THE REST OF OUR PACK!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:51:42 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 06:56:35 AM »
Hi, Don.  Where you been.

Al

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 03:01:11 PM »
CAPT. AL RABE!!!
"Where have I been???"

I retired from Boeing a little over 3 years ago...finishing up a money pit home here in Gig haaaba, Wa.
Great to see you hangin on Stunt hanger...

Lets stay in touch...
I will E you a private message....after I clean the snow outta my driveway.
(exiled don)
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here