News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:13:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unifow tank does not match the Evolution 36 CL  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Han Slaats

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Unifow tank does not match the Evolution 36 CL
« on: June 24, 2009, 03:05:42 PM »
I am building a Vector 40 using the Evolution 36 CL engine recommended by Randy. Being a bit rusty on building skills I only recently discovered that the Evolution engine has an unusual fuel line layout.
This engine has the needle assembly mounted on the rear of the engine, which is a pain because I had to mount the engine further forward than I wanted.
In addition the spray bar is located 23 mm above the engine mount. The standard uniflow tank delivered has the fuel pick up tube at 13.5 mm, which means I will have to lower the tank appr. 10 mm to get the fuel pick up line level with the pray bar. Doing this will bring the feed tube well below the hole in F1, will make the tank stick out into the cowl interfering with the cowl mounting plates and requires a 12 mm slot into the cowl to accomodate the fuel fill and vent pipes because the tank is designed to have the fill and vent pipes come out at appr the cowl - fuselage interface.

Clearly, the Evolution 36 layout is an odd match to conventional stunt design (it is derived from an RC engine).

Does anybody out there have a clever idea how I can solve this ?

Han

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Unifow tank does not match the Evolution 36 CL
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:52:33 PM »
I am building a Vector 40 using the Evolution 36 CL engine recommended by Randy. Being a bit rusty on building skills I only recently discovered that the Evolution engine has an unusual fuel line layout.
This engine has the needle assembly mounted on the rear of the engine, which is a pain because I had to mount the engine further forward than I wanted.
In addition the spray bar is located 23 mm above the engine mount. The standard uniflow tank delivered has the fuel pick up tube at 13.5 mm, which means I will have to lower the tank appr. 10 mm to get the fuel pick up line level with the pray bar. Doing this will bring the feed tube well below the hole in F1, will make the tank stick out into the cowl interfering with the cowl mounting plates and requires a 12 mm slot into the cowl to accomodate the fuel fill and vent pipes because the tank is designed to have the fill and vent pipes come out at appr the cowl - fuselage interface.

Clearly, the Evolution 36 layout is an odd match to conventional stunt design (it is derived from an RC engine).

Does anybody out there have a clever idea how I can solve this ?

Han

Hi Han

You may not have to move the tank as much as you think, Also  I have a NVA that will screw into the EVO venturies and make the motor a front needle engine, and also will give you the fuel pickup and needle on the same side. I hear that EVO is changing the needle and  venturie setups soon

I will try to post a picture when I can take one for you

Regards
Randy

Offline Han Slaats

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:49:11 AM »
Randy,

thanks for your prompt reply.
The Vector 40 is already halfway through its painting process: I have already drilled the holes in the mounts and fitted the cowl etc.
Still, a conventional NVA would help and avoids the big bends in the fuel line; so if you can give me some details I would appreciate it.

I have to assume the pray bar in this new set up does not move vertically, so I still will have to drop the tank. I can't follow your comment that the tank may not have to be dropped as much as I think; can you elaborate ? I assume the objective is to have the fuelpipe at the same height as the spray bar..

Han

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 09:28:51 AM »
Randy,

thanks for your prompt reply.
The Vector 40 is already halfway through its painting process: I have already drilled the holes in the mounts and fitted the cowl etc.
Still, a conventional NVA would help and avoids the big bends in the fuel line; so if you can give me some details I would appreciate it.

I have to assume the pray bar in this new set up does not move vertically, so I still will have to drop the tank. I can't follow your comment that the tank may not have to be dropped as much as I think; can you elaborate ? I assume the objective is to have the fuelpipe at the same height as the spray bar..

Han

You will still need to make a new hole for the needle. The tank doesn't always have to move as much as the needle does, The engines will many times only require about half of the movement.
Also you can move the uniflow line..inside..the tank in the direction you need your tank to go, this is the same as moving the tank

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here