News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:44:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pipe length for PA 61  (Read 2827 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Pipe length for PA 61
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »
I've almost finished my Tempest.  Going to be about 65 ounces with PA 61 on pipe, what pipe length should I start with?

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
Re: Pipe length for PA 61
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
I've almost finished my Tempest.  Going to be about 65 ounces with PA 61 on pipe, what pipe length should I start with?

Thanks,

James

Depends on the RPM  prop combo, what are you using?

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:51:46 PM »
Randy,

I plan to use bolly 3 blades 12-12.5 range.

James
AMA 491167

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:38:13 AM »
Randy,

I plan to use bolly 3 blades 12-12.5 range.

James

Hi
You can use a pipe lenght of 17 3/4 to 18 inches from first baffle to glo plug, launch with the motor running in the fastes 4 cycle it will run in ,or just starting to crack back n forth in a 4-2. The motor will drop into a solid 4 cycle within 1/2 a lap after launch, then it will beep 2 cycle across the tops of the manouvers.
If the setup is flying too slow pitch the prop up..do not use the needle as a speed control.
If the setup is going too fast [pitch the prop down..do not turn the needle richer.

If the setup slows or sags in the tops of manouvers add nitro... If the setup runs too fast or charges thru manouvers  cut the nitro percentages. I use this setup with 5% nitro in cool months and then going to 10% in hotter months

Randy

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 09:58:42 AM »
Hi
You can use a pipe lenght of 17 3/4 to 18 inches from first baffle to glo plug, launch with the motor running in the fastes 4 cycle it will run in ,or just starting to crack back n forth in a 4-2. The motor will drop into a solid 4 cycle within 1/2 a lap after launch, then it will beep 2 cycle across the tops of the manouvers.
If the setup is flying too slow pitch the prop up..do not use the needle as a speed control.
If the setup is going too fast [pitch the prop down..do not turn the needle richer.

If the setup slows or sags in the tops of manouvers add nitro... If the setup runs too fast or charges thru manouvers  cut the nitro percentages. I use this setup with 5% nitro in cool months and then going to 10% in hotter months

Thanks Randy.  I have the header at full length.  If I need to trim to get the length of the pipe down should I cut the pipe?

James

Randy
AMA 491167

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 07:57:07 AM »

You can use a pipe lenght of 17 3/4 to 18 inches from first baffle to glo plug,

Hey Randy:
Just want to make sure I am clear on proper way to measure the pipe length.
When you say "to the glow plug" you mean starting at the plug tip, measuring thru the combustion chamber and out of the exhaust port, right ??   
On my PA65RE, measuring from plug tip to exhaust port flange I get  about  1 5/8", does that sound about right ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 11:18:03 AM »
Hey Randy:
Just want to make sure I am clear on proper way to measure the pipe length.
When you say "to the glow plug" you mean starting at the plug tip, measuring thru the combustion chamber and out of the exhaust port, right ??   
On my PA65RE, measuring from plug tip to exhaust port flange I get  about  1 5/8", does that sound about right ?

Allan

All of my newer design pipes have a 1/10th inch bump at the back of the pipe, this is where the first reflective surface is (baffle), Measure in a straight line from there to the peg on the glo plug

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here