News:

• May 01, 2024, 02:41:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PA 40 Merlin Light & Jaguar  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Jimmy R. Jacobs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
PA 40 Merlin Light & Jaguar
« on: July 08, 2011, 09:01:59 PM »
What is the power difference, more, less, or the same, on a pipe or a header muffler on a 40 PA Merlin Light?  The reason I'm asking this question is that I need a touch more power because my lap times are a little slow where the engine is happy.  The lap times are 5.4 to 5.4+ where it's happiest on 61 foot lines.  Engine runs great, 2-4 run.  The engine prop is a APC 11-5. 
Fuel is Sig 10-10-10 plus 1 oz. of Aero 1 and 1.3 oz of castor added.
RPM is 88-87 where engine is happy and runs super good.
Our altitude is 5,300 feet.

I'm going to try Sig 15-10-10 plus the above additions tomorrow.  So, what do I need to get a little more power or do I need a PA 51?  (By the way, I'd love to have one!  Does it look like you'll have them back any time soon?  I have two 40s I bought from you.)

Thank you ahead of time for the information-
Jimmy Jacobs

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: PA 40 Merlin Light & Jaguar
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »
What is the power difference, more, less, or the same, on a pipe or a header muffler on a 40 PA Merlin Light?  The reason I'm asking this question is that I need a touch more power because my lap times are a little slow where the engine is happy.  The lap times are 5.4 to 5.4+ where it's happiest on 61 foot lines.  Engine runs great, 2-4 run.  The engine prop is a APC 11-5. 
Fuel is Sig 10-10-10 plus 1 oz. of Aero 1 and 1.3 oz of castor added.
RPM is 88-87 where engine is happy and runs super good.
Our altitude is 5,300 feet.

I'm going to try Sig 15-10-10 plus the above additions tomorrow.  So, what do I need to get a little more power or do I need a PA 51?  (By the way, I'd love to have one!  Does it look like you'll have them back any time soon?  I have two 40s I bought from you.)

Thank you ahead of time for the information-
Jimmy Jacobs

Hi Jimmy

I have been away at the US NATs, the Merlin 40 will be plenty of power for the plane, you can add nitro, up the pitch slightly, go to a better , more efficient prop, open the venturie, or do any of the above to tune the run to fit the plane

Randy

Offline Jimmy R. Jacobs

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 09:40:18 PM »
  Thanks, Randy  hope you had a good time . I think I new all this but , wont to check. The 15% nitro did help alot.
     Jimmy Jacobs

Offline Jimmy R. Jacobs

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 09:00:37 PM »
Thanks Randy.  I used 15% fuel, 11-11 oil and 1 oz of your snake oil.  I need to go to longer lines now, maybe 62'.  I also added tip weight, up to 1.8 oz.  Flying great.  Engine runs great, plenty of power now.  Engine has 2 hours bench time break in and 40 flights, so engine may not even be broken in yet.  What do you think?

Thanks, Jimmy
PS- PA 40 are great engines; still need a PA 51.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here