News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:09:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: cutting a tuned pipe  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Ron Hess Sr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
cutting a tuned pipe
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:58:16 PM »
What is the best way to cut the carbon pipes with? zona saw or what are you guys using? dont want to ruin it on my first time out. Ron in indy H^^

Eric Viglione

Re: cutting a tuned pipe
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:37:33 PM »
After measuring the pipe length to give the range of adjustment you want with the aluminum insert installed (it has a lip that adds fractionally to the over all length) pull the insert out, wrap the pipe in tape where you are going to cut it from the side you are going to keep.(helps minimize any potential fraying and much easier to see than pencil) Use the edge of the tape as your cutting line and use a fibre cut off wheel on your dremel tool to do the cutting. At least thats what I do.

I would try to avoid any kind of clamping/crushing action of a hand saw even though the pipe seems substanial and solid. Pull the dremel against it's rotation when cutting so it doesn't want to travel around the tube. Hold firmly, no limp wrists here. I usually set the pipe down on my benchtop and hold down with my left hand, and hold the dremel in my right, parallel on the bechtop and align the area to cut. I kinda roll the pipe a 1/4  turrn at a time as I cut. I find this more managable than doing it "in the air". All mine are done this way. Clean up the edges with sandpaper (220 should do). Slip in your insert and your good to go.

Randy may have another method, but I thought I'd share what I do. Actually, I think it was probably Randy that told me to use the Dremel in the first place.

EricV

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 06:31:14 PM »
You can do as above and use a metal cutting hacksaw blade, that works pretty well, make sure you use a new blade that is made to cut metal as they have more teeth per inch

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:19:51 AM »
I would try to avoid any kind of clamping/crushing action of a hand saw even though the pipe seems substanial and solid.
Another good way to support the pipe while cutting is to slip it over a wood dowel.  Use the largest size dowel that will just fit inside of pipe.  If necessary get the next size larger and sand it down till it just slips inside pipe.  Clamp the dowel in vise, put pipe over the dowel and cut thru pipe and dowel together.  Cutting thru the dowel helps control the cut.  I use a 32 tooth hacksaw blade, which I think is the finest tooth available.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »
Great idea!  :!
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Ron Hess Sr

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
Another good way to support the pipe while cutting is to slip it over a wood dowel.  Use the largest size dowel that will just fit inside of pipe.  If necessary get the next size larger and sand it down till it just slips inside pipe.  Clamp the dowel in vise, put pipe over the dowel and cut thru pipe and dowel together.  Cutting thru the dowel helps control the cut.  I use a 32 tooth hacksaw blade, which I think is the finest tooth available.
[/quote

after you have cut it have you ever had the wood dowel drop inside the pipe?then what,lol. ???

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 05:41:58 PM »
[/quote

after you have cut it have you ever had the wood dowel drop inside the pipe?then what,lol. ???

[/quote]
Never had that happen, but I've only cut 3 pipes.   
To prevent that from happening cut only half way, take pipe off and finish the cut on the dowel only.  Then slip pipe back on to cut other half of pipe.   Or you could make half cut, slide pipe over about 1/4" and rotate pipe 180° to cut the other half of pipe.  Either way you never cut all the way thru the dowel while its inside the pipe.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Ron Hess Sr

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
[/quote

Never had that happen, but I've only cut 3 pipes.   
To prevent that from happening cut only half way, take pipe off and finish the cut on the dowel only.  Then slip pipe back on to cut other half of pipe.   Or you could make half cut, slide pipe over about 1/4" and rotate pipe 180° to cut the other half of pipe.  Either way you never cut all the way thru the dowel while its inside the pipe.
Thank you Allen  H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here