News:

• May 12, 2024, 06:42:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You will never guess what is next-pictures  (Read 1988 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
You will never guess what is next-pictures
« on: March 09, 2008, 08:14:49 PM »
You will never guess what is next from Black Hawk Models. A......TETHERED......PROP ROD DAH-DAH!
         Yes folks Black Hawk Models means FUN and that is why they are bringing out a "Quarter Midget" style tethered Prop Rod. What is a Prop Rod? It is a car (yes, a car) that is propelled by a propeller in the rear. No..No..I have seen it...really! I will post a picture tomorrow if I can. The car is 7" long, looks like a shoe with wheels. It should be out next month. In test we have hit between 55 mph and 68 mph....that is fast. You tie a line to an adjustable bridle on the car and it races around a pole. The car's name is         "Pee Wee Racer"
Larry   #^

The engine mounts on the sloped rear to allow up to 6" propellers. The model is waiting for paint and decals.
Larry
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:25:04 AM by LARRY RICE »

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: You will nere guess what is next
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 06:13:19 AM »
Larry,
I like the idea of something like the old Cox Prop Rod being available again. You might consider the old Scientific car that had the motor and wheel in the back, laid sideways and under the rear fender and trunk. Can't remember the name but I did have one with a Cub 074 0n it.
Dennis

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: You will nere guess what is next
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 07:29:48 AM »
          The car you are referring to was a "Half Pint Racer" it had a plastic body and large rubber wheels. As of right now we are unable to produce that model. We have looked into doing it and have spoken to people about the body. No one is making the wheels or the fly wheel needed for that type of model. As we continue to grow it might happen. The reason that we are bringing this model out now is to test the waters before we sink a large amount of resource into the car models. There are also request for boats but no one makes 1/2a boat hardware anymore.
Larry

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: You will never guess what is next-pictures
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 10:24:34 AM »
Prop Rods were big around here in the 1959-1960 era. 

The club had a "track" in the back of the hobby shop.  A hole was drilled in the concrete floor, a threaded sleeve cemented in, and a bicycle front axle was screwed in.  The bridle was then attached to a ball bearing assembly.  The cable was .027", which seems big, but a 10-foot circle can build up a lot G, even with 1/2A's. 

For those of you getting into prop rods, don't underestimate the anchor it takes to hold one down.  Some of our homemade home "test tracks" failed when an .049 dragged more weight than you could imagine.

The "wheel drive" cars never worked.  Running a wheel at engine RPM was impossible, unless maybe you could throw it a 100 MPH to get it going.

Paul Smith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 10:43:48 AM »
Hi Paul,

You got me with this: "The "wheel drive" cars never worked.  Running a wheel at engine RPM was impossible, unless maybe you could throw it a 100 MPH to get it going."

You can't be talking about those tether cars I remember seeing.  It must be some others. ???
Those .60 powered tether cars were a blur. ;D

But, you're right, a little .049 prop rod could really get going to! y1

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »
The 60-powered tether cars actually had transmissions to get the wheels geared down to reasonable RPM.  They ran great.

The ones that didn't work were those offered by Scientific (and maybe a few others) where they just put the drive wheel on the engine.  You'll see 'em on the old hollow log ads from the 50's and 60's.

My next door neighbor, an actual genius tried to get one running and failed - even though he designed and built a slipping clutch try and get through acceleration. 

While he didn't  get the car to work, he was able to routinely get a WenMac .049 and running well enough to fly a CL airplane that he designed and built, at the age of about 14.

Paul Smith

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 07:29:39 PM »
FINISHED!!!!  #^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 09:29:59 PM »
Why all the up thrust?  The Cox plastic car I still have had the engine sitting level and staight with the body.  You kept it on the end of the line by where you placed the bridle.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 09:57:28 PM »
Why all the up thrust?  The Cox plastic car I still have had the engine sitting level and staight with the body.  You kept it on the end of the line by where you placed the bridle.   DOC Holliday

Actually this would be down thrust in a pusher application and when I first looked at the final product it really seemed odd to me but after thinking about it the overall design makes sense.
The way this model is designed, the prop has more ground clearance while keeping the overall height of the body lower to the ground (which helps keep the overall CG lower) and overall simplicity.

Remember this is not a competition model designed to get the last drop performance and efficiancy (sp) out of its sum of parts. Just assemble, finish and have fun!
Of course so many of us can't leave well enough alone and I see plenty of room for modifications and experimentation if you want to do so. Why not have a cowl for more streamlining? Go ahead and make one! Why so much angle on the engine? Shim it down! Why no front aerodynamic wing or scoop to increase down force on the front end? Make one and show us all how you think it should be done! Why is is blue? I think we all know the solution to that problem! Why not have some "sponsor" decals to dress it up? Put them on there!

I like it for what it is and hope that it will generate enough response that people WILL get their own and "personalize" them to their own likes.

My two cents, Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 10:03:38 PM »
The Cox car was a much larger car. The angle gives 6" clearance for the prop and the DOWN thrust helps to keep the car from flipping over. The Coxcar flipped over a lot.
Larry

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 06:21:35 AM »
That's a cool little "rod" Larry........................
Frank Carlisle

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 09:12:09 AM »
OK! So here is the plan:
         Lots and lots of kids build a pinewood derby car every year. This car is the next step up. I tried to keep it as simple as the derby cars are to build. Once the kids get an engine and learn how to start it and tune it the next step is to one of my simple control line planes. The Musciano type (log fuselage) is about as simple as a derby car. 10 years from now they will be at the Nationals and all because of the Pee Wee Racer  LL~ well maybe not.
          If you can't take a block of wood and 4 wheels and have fun with them then you have lost something.
Larry

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 12:58:52 PM »
Larry I think that has to be the coolest fun I've seen in a long time #^ #^. Hummm now where can I run one :!
You don't stop flying cause your get OLD
You get OLD cause you stopped flying
St Peter MN
Present Master of the Figure 9

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 03:51:56 PM »
Ya know what would look cool hanging on the back of one of these?

One of the Gilbert engines with the manifold style exhaust pipes! ;D

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 03:57:53 PM »
I think I know why all the down thrust.  When I was a kid I had a couple of cox prop rods they were a kick to run and they were very fast.  When they would get up to speed only the right front wheel (running counter clockwise) was on the ground the other three wheels were in the air.  Without the down thrust my guess is this car would do the same thing.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 04:15:31 PM »
        If you follow the thrust line of the engine down the crank shaft through the car you will find that it is located at the center of the bottom of the car. This pushes the car down at that point and keeps all 4 of the wheels grounded.
That is why
Larry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here