News:

• May 05, 2024, 05:53:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Would like info on Sterling Space Master jr.  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Would like info on Sterling Space Master jr.
« on: March 03, 2008, 04:24:36 PM »
This is a model i have only now found out existed. Does anyone have info and plans fo9r this plane?

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Would like info on Sterling Space Master jr.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 06:25:31 PM »
I built two of them in years gone by.  It started out as the Space Kaydet in 1952, then changed names.  Barry Baxter has a very nice plan with all the pieces laid out. Look under Old Time Stunt.

http://www.controllineplans.com/frameset2.htm

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:02:05 PM »
Thanks Jim, I had no idea it had changed names. I wasn't aware of the earlier version. The picture is the same for sure.

Good looking plane. I bet it will fly well also. How did you like yours? Not too bad if you built a second one.

I wonder why it did not last too long? Great kits usually are kitted for a long time.
I saw the  Space Master jr. advertised in a Sterling ad from 1958. The Flying Fool was kitted then and was for many years hence. It was a good but not great flier. Great looks though! I had a Flying Fool and it was a tough build for me as I was rather young and the parts did not fit well and the wood was quite heavy (or so it seemed to me). The first problem I ran into was that the die cut wing ribs were not all the same length and I just did not know how to handle that for a long time. It was a long slow build but I learned a lot from it.

Anyone have pictures of the Space Master jr. besides the one Sterling used on their box art?

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline nobler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 03:22:16 PM »
The Sterling Space Master (nee Space Keydet), Jr is one of the hardest finds for a ukie Sterling kit collector. Enterprise had a  1/2a kit by the same name, hence the name change.

Other tough Sterlings:

ME-109 (for the Fox 15)

F-94 Starfire (now available as a repro)

Not as tough, but kind of:

P-40 (companion kit to the ME-109)

Ringmaster Imperial

Ringmaster Jr Flash

Ruffy

The early yellow box standard Ringmaster is getting tougher.

Currell

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 06:41:42 PM »
I had a Sterling foam P-51 in the 60's and it was old then. It was control line and I believe that it came with an engine.
Larry

Offline nobler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 11:02:11 PM »
Hi Larry. It came with a Cox Sportsman 15, if memory serves. Currell

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:23:18 AM »
     You are right on the engine. Black Hawk Models was new back then and I was so impressed with the concept that I decided to make a simular model of a Waker Fireball. I invested all of Black Hawk's money into the project and lost it all. I tried everything I could to recoup some of the losses but I could not.
    We are back now!
Larry

Offline nobler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:53:28 AM »
I am really glad that you are successful with Blackhawk (remember, we chatted at the '06 Kazoo Musciano).

At each successive Musciano, both Va and Mi (and I assume CA and Toronto), the percentage of Musciano models as manufactured by Blackhawk increases, and the % of Scientific original kits (and perhaps scratch  built, too) goes down.

The Scientifc kits have become increasingly scarce in the last few years (less on ebay, and almost nonexistent at swap meets), so people are reluctant to build from a kit, or simply cannot find the kits.

Currell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here