News:

• May 13, 2024, 01:52:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wing span questions.....  (Read 1671 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
wing span questions.....
« on: May 04, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »
When looking at model airplanes. I know that the wingspan is actually from tip to tip.
But here is my question....on a model like the magician where the tips are almost half round and taper to a thinner profile than the actual wing ribs. do they really add as much to the wings span ?
Please realize I am not knocking anybody's kit or design.
My point is this would a 29" wing with a pair of 3/4 block style tips added 29" +1.5" = 30.5
Compared to a wing that seems to be 29.75"+4"=33.75".
How much difference would there be in the two examples give where the tips on the second example are mostly tapered and shaped. reducing area?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: wing span questions.....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 03:15:57 PM »
Span means span, area means area.  Tips that taper still add to the span, just less to the area.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:54:05 AM »
Without getting into too deep aeronautical engineering stuff, the tapered wingtips help reduce tip losses.  A squared-off tip dumps (wastes) at lot of lift.  Therefore, almost all real planes have either tapered tips or some sort of fence or device to reduce tip losses.

Area is area, regardless of the shape.  A real aero engineer showed me an explanation of why with Spitfire-shaped wing, with its tips that taper to nothing, is the most effective use of wing area.  But it's only slightly better than straight-tapered wings that approximate the ellipse.
Paul Smith

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 08:51:02 AM »
There was an article in the National Free Flight Journal many moons ago that showed a .7  tip to root chord ratio with 3 deg. washout was a VERY close approximation to the ideal ellipse. You can achieve this with proper layout of flaps at a specific flap deflection.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here