News:

• May 03, 2024, 11:17:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why such conflicting opinion of the AP Wasp?  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Why such conflicting opinion of the AP Wasp?
« on: June 18, 2011, 02:40:25 PM »
Hello,
       Just minding my own business and running in my new Wasp, after some bolt changes. Got bored with that and took a look at RC Universe C/L and 1/2A forums. First time I have ventured to such a dark side place!
  Imagine my surprise when I found that almost everyone there gave the Wasp a huge thumbs down! "Worn out when run in", "A total heap of Junk" and other such reassuring comments!
  Well, I have seen better small R/C carbs and certainly better screws but it all sounded very negative. About the same as my opinion of the vast majority of CS engines! My Wasp is not run in yet, but it certainly is looking a promising little engine. It doesn't sound to be the same engine that Larry Renger almost eulogises over! Strange isn't it, when people from different parts of the hobby can't agree!
  OK I do have one CS engine that is excellent, but others that I have handled or come my way have been shockers! Do Wasps vary so much in quality? The one I have is pretty darn good so far, with the carb and screws excepted. Dare I buy another one? Well I have found a retailer in Europe that sells them for $40 including postage, maybe I will try another. If its as good as this one then I can hardly complain.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
Re: Why such conflicting opinion of the AP Wasp?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 06:52:33 PM »
Everybody has their own way of caring for or not caring for their equipment.
If you run them full out with high nitro and low oil %'s I am sure you will get different results...

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 05:01:45 AM »
         Up until a few months ago, you really didn't have another choice of purchasing a new engine. Norvel has returned with the N/V line of engines. Brodak provides the MKII still but its no record winner. We need the rpm's for these engines. The CS engines are barely making the 18k range and that's if they even start for you. Probably the largest complaint would be the fact that its a r/c engine. Some people just don't like tinkering and I know in our club the AP Wasp has steered two of our members away from using them. I hold a fairly high opinion of them as the ones I've seen run strong. The other advantage is that 2 of these engines can be purchased for what it cost for one of the others currently available. This advantage of course is only viable when the engine goes on sale. The other fact is the rpm's of this engine exceed the competitors by at least 5k. The Wasp can also be set up to run a additional 1k+ over the instruction claims by just switching the glo plug. The case design of the Wasp doesn't easily allow for a simple venturi addition due to the screw holes being so close to the top of the casting. This took some refinement and Jan's venturi assembly available through RSM really makes the engine work well. I'm not a fan at all of Chinese products. I'm sure there is quality issues with some of them, but I also see some advantages such as the bushed crankcase. The other is that they decided to use the standard thread for plugs which allows the usage of many glow plug choices.  I feel that in today's market we see quality issues everywhere. It's a sad reality and it all revolves around the dollar. We certainly aren't seeing the same quality in products we've seen twenty years ago. I don't subscribe to the doom and gloom theory, I still can get some real high quality merchandise today which is a great reminder that it still exists. Some will also disagree with me using Cox engines, but I certainly have some real fine runners that I wouldn't hesitate to use. They can be had real cheap and I still currently use them. I recently witnessed a fellow using a Cox medallion with a mix match of parts, one notably was the production cylinder. This engine ran better than any Big Mig .049 I owned and had the ability to swing a larger prop. Ken

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 11:35:35 AM »
Thanks Guys!
  Jim, I completely forgot that people on RC Universe are usuall RC types! My goodness I am getting senile! Yes, I suppose they run engines dead lean on some horrible Coolpower fuel and then complain the engines are junk..........completely forgot about that mentality. You don't see many people like that in C/L.
  Kenneth, I do agree about a lot of poor Q/C on Chinese products, compared to some of the CS and Indian Aurora products, the Wasp that I have is a gem, apart from carb and screws. It certainly bodes well for future 1/2A+ flying. Cox stuff is well made and I still run my Cox engines. I have a bit of a love hate relationship with the TDs and to some extent with the reedies (always seem to get stuck valve trouble, why me!). But they are a fine bunch on the whole and it is probably down to me or the brand of Castor I use.
  Even the good engine manufacturers seem to suffer from bean counter problems, the backplate on the OS LA 46 for example. Most of us types replace it with metal at maybe $5-10 extra, but then I suppose we are a minority. The, "if it doesn't work then throw it away brigade" do not seem to value quality.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »
Break your Wasp in per its included instructions (1/2 hour of short runs, 25% castor fuel) and run them with a minimum of 10-10 oil mix, and they are faithful beasts.  I have NOT worn one out yet!  Prop it for a minimum of 19K on the ground or you will overheat in flight.  I only use 10% Nitro and a Merlin plug with an extra gasket.

Plugs tend to be short lived (20 flights or so), they get a white deposit on the element (could be residue from my balloon tanks?) and needle setting becomes erratic.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Ed Keller

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »
Andrew - Can you post the retailer/seller info on the Wasp? I would like to take a look at one. Thanks, Ed

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 11:18:59 AM »
Hobby People sells them.  Do a search on Holuszko, and you will see photos of the engine with his carb.  It looks like the Norvel, and most parts interchange, but I like the AP better than the Norvels for stunt use.  (15 APs vs about 5 Norvels any clue?)
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:19:42 PM »
Hello Ed,
  I suggest you take Larry's advice on sourcing a Wasp in the US. I think the main supplier are Hobby People. I found a German seller (Conrad, a large electrical retailer) on Ebay who sells them for £27 sterling inclusive of postage to the UK. There doesn't appear to be many folk who stock them in UK. Gee Dee Models of Nottingham sell them for £33 and I think postage is extra, so the Conrad deal is a good one for us Limeys.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
I don't know.  When I get an engine or anything, I want to find a way to make it work, not make it not work.  Seems like people want to find a way to fail and a reason to complain. 

Oh I like fox 35's too.  Some are real fox haters. 

I see the same complaining everywhere, bicycles, power tools, cars, electronics.  Even a device some thinks as junk, I have gotten useful function out of it.     
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 08:59:13 PM »
I like that, make it work, not make it not work! Priceless.
I put two on my son's P-38 1/2A Scale model and it was an easy deal. Used Sig 25% nitro with it's stock 10/10 oil mix.
Ran them in with 1 oz tanks about 10 or 2 runs. Flew 5 or 6 practice flights. Next day flew the official flight and son made a podium finish.
I used fuel tubing over the needle valve/spray bar juncture, settled the needle and idle.
Chris...

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 11:07:21 PM »
I have followed with interest reports on the Wasp. I also have a few new Norvell .061's. To date I have not used any but all seem fine. I agree some folks just have problems with engines.  I had a couple of Wasps then sold them as had chance to get the Norvells at great price. Then Hobby People sold the Wasp again for $33.95 and bought another one. My first two were $29.95 and you can not go wrong. On big engines I don't buy china stuff. So if Larry says they are good thats good enough for me.
  Many RC types are just playing with toys and treat them badly. Like Jackass goes RC.  Nothing against real RC modelers and flyers. Some RC stuff is flat out awesome. Watched a guy fly a scale F-86 with turbine and it flew great. engine was quiet and quite impressive. Just read some of posts on engines in RC groups. Anyway Wasp .061 is aok.
Dan 

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 04:17:29 PM »
Fun thing about the .061s, Norvel and Wasp both, is that they pull about twice as strong as good .049s.  I'm flying BIG airplanes (34" span, 36" span, 200-250 squares, etc.) on 48' lines.  
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here