News:

• May 07, 2024, 12:54:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why must I always get one last flight in! STUPID STUPID STUPID!  (Read 1846 times)

Offline John Crocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Why must I always get one last flight in! STUPID STUPID STUPID!
« on: September 11, 2007, 10:18:13 AM »
So I'm sitting in my home office and hour ago, caught up for the morning.  hmm, nice day, little wind blowing up the street, why not get in a couple flights?  Got out the Green Giant, 061 wasp fired right up.  Went through a couple fun manuevers, wingovers, then went into some downwind lazy 8's.  Came in for a nice landing.

Gassed back up, same thing.  Did notice wind picking up a bit, better make this my las flight.  Landed with no issues.  Well, maybe one more .   :X :X :X

Got into the air and the winds bumping me quite a bit, begin to think uh oh better jsut keep this one level.  Wind died down bout half way through the tank, what the heck, lets do some 8's. :X :X :X

As I'm swinging from the inside to outside loop of my second 8, a big gust hits the bottom of the plane and pile drives it vertically into the pavement (why do I insist on doing tricks over pavement  n1 n1 n1 ?)  I was running a 6X2 APC prop that has been peaking aroudn 53 mph towards the end of the tank according to my sherriff buddies radar.  Metal nose cone made a perfect 3/4" hole in the concrete and the prop split around the shaft.

Outboard wing covering looks like Freddy Krueger got a hold of it, SHREDDED, but the wing is in tact.  Elevator split and assembly snapped loose, already glued back on thanks to some CA.  Wood covered section of the wing is in tact, but has little cracks.  No telling what it looks like under there, but everything feels okay.

But the big issue, Engine housing cracked right where  the venturi goes in.   :'( .  The old wasp is now regulated to the spare parts drawer.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 10:43:39 AM by John Crocker »

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
Re: Why must I always get one last flight in! STUPID STUPID STUPID!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 11:19:02 AM »
John,

If you never had somthing like that happen the hobby wouldn't be half as much fun.  ;D
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 11:27:07 AM »
yeah, I know, but it still makes you want to kick yourself.  Just got off the horn with the Local Hobby Store.  Got 2 Wasps on order, be here in a couple days.  Going to finally break down and build that twin engine I've been thinking about since I was 8.  40" Wingspan, with twin 061's should be a screamer!

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 12:05:02 PM »
John,

Will it be a scratch built of your own design?  How 'bout showing us some pics as you build it?

I once made a twin using the old cox foam wings with a balsa center wing section, sort of like a p-38.  Powered with two cox black widows.  It dissapeared before I could fly it.  I may try another this winter while I am recovering from my operation.

AP^
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 12:40:14 PM »
Yep, own design.  Have built many twin boom planes, but never a twin engined one.  The P-38 lightning has always been a fav of mine and would be the general inspiration. 

Plan on a 40" built wing with "half inch stick" booms and sort of a profile "cockpit".  Trike gear.  Thinking Dukes of Hazard Orange for the wing with some black trim on the ends and black for everything else right now, maybe with some Rebel flags on the outboard side.  Also thinking about some engine cowls (used to make them out of th bottom of an aspirin bottle)  Prolly paint them orange.

Thats the plan, but I've not figured out all the details.  I never draw anything out as far as plans go, just go with what I think will work and what looks right.  Believe it or not, most of the time it pans out pretty well.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  I've got a wing rib design that I've been using that I like a lot.  Keeps me from having to deal with spars (which I HATE, never can get them lined up right) and provides a ridiculus amount of lift. 

My Green Giant will rise off the ground with no elevator input in about 10-15 feet.  If you give it much up on a standard take off, it has the tendancy to stall, but if you let it do its thing and go from a wet 2 stroke to a nice scream as the venturi speed picks up it will do the prettiest climb you've ever seen.  Hoping for the same thing with this new plane when I get around to i.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 11:08:46 AM »
The reason you always crash on the last flight is because if you didn't, you'd say "OK just one more", then another, then another...until a crash stops you.  Kinda like "Why is the lost item always in the last place I look?"!

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 05:14:05 PM »
Kinda like "Why is the lost item always in the last place I look?"

MAkes you wonder why we didn't look there first huh?

Got my supplies for the new plane.  Thinking bout calling it Rebel Yell!, or maybe Boss Hog.  We'll see

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 06:58:36 PM »

MAkes you wonder why we didn't look there first huh?

Got my supplies for the new plane.  Thinking bout calling it Rebel Yell!, or maybe Boss Hog.  We'll see

Why not call it Last Flight, just for luck??   LL~
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 08:43:33 PM »
I'll have to pass on that one, too superstitious

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 10:26:24 AM »
When I was with the local RC club, it was never one more flight.  It was always a couple more then go home before the second one.  Better luck next time and remember it isn't nice to play with mother nature.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here