News:

• May 12, 2024, 02:02:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who sells the Perfect brand fuel pump for 1/2A?  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Who sells the Perfect brand fuel pump for 1/2A?
« on: September 03, 2009, 10:52:49 PM »
It wasn't so long ago (this year) that I ran across the perfect brand website (can't find it right off hand) and the plunger style fuel pump that screwed into the top of the Cox fuel cans was listed as one of their products. However it did not appear that they sold direct like some companies do.

Does anyone know where to find one of these for sale anymore? 

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Bob Hills

• Ensign
Re: Who sells the Perfect brand fuel pump for 1/2A?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:44:18 AM »

Hi Bob;
         I found that a pistol type oiler can that you could obtain at a Auto motive supply works just as good, if not better. Mine holds a good four ounces.

I have a new perfect pump hanging on the wall, if interested give me your  snail-mail address and you can have it!

Bob Hills in Connecticut.
Bob Hills  AMA 15512

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:33:06 AM »
Geez, I have one of those old oil cans that I used back in the fifties. For the last forty years or so it has been relegated to being an actual oil can.

I found the fuel bulb (Pylon) and the plunger type to work much better for fuel.

I had one of those old Perfect fuel pump but ended up throwing it out, I think. Still, to each his own.

Here's the Perfect site:  http://www.perfectpartscompany.com/PerfectAirplaneContent.htm 

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:02:40 AM »
Bob, Thanks for the offer and also for the idea for the use of  a pistol type oiler can. That might do better and I will check on some of those.

Still it would be nice to know who stocks any of the perfect brand hardware.

George, That is the site, thanks! It is harder to find even by searching !
The pump shown looks kinda cheesy compared to the one I used to have. Sign of the times I guess. Sure makes the oiler idea more attractive!

As for the pump vs the bulb, I had both and enjoyed the pump more.
Pump
less prone to spills
also could use it to prime
less fiddly than a syringe
no chance of rubber contamination from deterioration
takes up less room

bulb
could fill tank some faster but they are small tanks so not much savings of effort or time

For those who have larger tanks to fill, a bul makes more sense.

Robert

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:01:47 AM »
Hi Robert,
I got a 50 year old Perfect Fuel Pump (like I had as a kid) from a friend and thought I could be real old timey when I went out to fly my 1/2A models, but I found out to my disappointment that the pump's lid is smaller than the newer pint fuel cans. The pump will not fit on my 20 year old Cox cans  :'(.
Orv.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 03:21:39 PM »
That could be a problem today. There should be some kind of a work a round for that.

I bought my first in the early seventies and wore it slap out by the end of the next summer and had to buy another!
That one lasted till I got out of high school.
I was rough on the Cox filler caps which made me go to the pump. Had to switch to the Fox Missle Mist quarts for economic reasons. I did love the purple can and purple fuel! Cost prevented me from going to the 40%.
Bet I could have smoked a few glow heads with that stuff! I just love the smell of nitro in the morning!

BTW the pump fit both the Cox and the Fox cans back then.

Robert

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 06:41:02 PM »
...I just love the smell of nitro in the morning!

Robert

Even better than Napalm?  ;D

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »
I knew someone would pick up on that and the answer is Yeppers!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 04:21:51 PM »
Robert,
     We are looking at placing an order with Perfect soon and if you really want one I can ask if they still have them available.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 05:55:07 PM »
Larry, thanks bunches friend but I'm good for now. The main point of the thread is that since Perfect still offers them, who in the world stocks them?

I guess the LHS's could special order one as you have offered to do.
Tower Hobbies stocks a small number of model parts by Perfect. Could be at one time they may have had the pump but don't anymore.

I just got an idea that we could possibly use a pump type hand lotion dispenser... Don't think I have one of those right now. I hope I can remember to try one if I get one. I bet they don't dispense very much. Maybe a GoJo dispenser? 

Robert

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 06:12:56 PM »
Robert, Hobby stores can not order from Perfect anymore they can only go through Tower hobbies, that is why no-one has any. Perfect sells to me because I am a Manufacture.
Larry

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 07:05:13 PM »
If you're just looking to pump fuel and aren't after a serious dose of nostalgia...might I suggest getting one of the "Soft Soap" or "Antibacterial Soap" containers with pump and use that? The soap should clean out pretty easily with hot water, after all. I use a "ketchup pump" on a gallon jug, but the conversion should be pretty similar.  Generally, plastic bottles (and pumps) only have a few screw sizes and the chances are you can easily find a different bottle to fit the soap pump. 

FWIW, my "ketchup pump" has been in a gallon of fuel for at least ten years, with no sign of degradation...maybe just a little humiliation. I set mine up to have a return flow line from the tank overflow, back into the top of the jug. It keeps spillage off the ground, but isn't essential. The ketchup pumps either pump 1/2 or 1 oz per stroke...way more than you'd want, but the smaller "soft soap" type pumps would work slick, IMHO.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here