News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:06:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which Spiderwire for 1/2A?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Which Spiderwire for 1/2A?
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:08:20 AM »
Hello all,
  I am looking to fly some 1/2A from Cox Babe Bee to Wasp 0.61. Seems that spiderwire would do the trick, cheap almost fool proof and would do the job nicely. Other threads to Spiderwire refer to the yellow variety, after a quick perusal here in UK, I seem to find moss green, camo and transparent spiderwire! None of which sound a good bet for flying over grass! Anyone got any ideas as to what I could do? If the above colours are all I can get, so be it, what breaking strain should I go for? The Coxes won't be a problem but the AP Wasp may need some stronger stuff.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Which Spiderwire for 1/2A?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:33:35 AM »
Spiderwire is no longer Spectra thread.  It may be as good as it was, but who knows.  In addition, they now market a line of monofiliment that is useless for model flying.

Spectra is a brand of fiber, as opposed to brand of fishing line.  Several fishing lines use Spectra fiber and it will be called out on the box.  Just look for the Spectra logo somewhere on the box to get the "good stuff".  Regarding strength, I have never seen a Spectra line small enough to not have sufficient strength for 1/2A models.  I always use the smallest I can find.

Be sure to get the woven, round stuff, as some brands are flat, and will do strange stuff in the air.   H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:44:33 PM »
I use Power Pro, it has a 100% Spectra line. They also have hi vis yellow which makes it easy to see on the ground. I have used both 8 and 10 lb for 1/2A models
http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/power_pro_v2/products/powerpro_super_lines.html

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »
According to Spiderwire's website, several of their braids are 'Dyneema' which is molecularly the same compound as 'Spectra'  - both are "UHMWP" microfibres and both come in braided (not the 'fused') style which the new rules require.  Spiderwire Stealth braid comes in green and yellow.  We have used the 20 lb. test for 1/2A's with no problems. 
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 02:21:11 PM »
By the way - to answer the original question -here is a pic from the Spiderwire site which shows 3 'models' which are Dyneema - the

Stealth Braid comes in "Tracer Yellow" and "Moss Green"
Ultracast only comes in "Lo Vis green"
and the UltraCast Invisi-braid comes in 'translucent'

so I imagine the Stealth would be the most often used (also the least expensive).

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 05:29:33 PM »
          Mike, I've been using the stealth braid pictured on the left. I'm using the moss green as well, this is mainly due to the only color that was available. This is extremely if not impossible to see in the grass. My son and I use it for 1/2 a combat. I just recently started using it and it holds up quite well. Its been through mid airs and line tangles and shows no sign of degrading. I believe were using the 30lb /8lb diameter. It does get a bit confusing figuring out which one is correct. I Googled Polomar knot and figured out how to tie the knot which is simple. The problem I had was trying to tie two lines the same length that was harder than the knot itself. Ken

Offline jason_sogolow

• AMA Member
  • New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »
When using the spider line, how do you terminate it? Do you use the brass eyelets like is done with the braided wire on larger planes, to make the lines removable?  Or do the lines and the handle just get wrapped around the wing when not in use? ;)

Thanks,
Jason
Burbank, CA - AMA 965084 & Valley Circle Burners!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 03:31:07 PM »
Take a look at my Spectra line discussion in the Rules section for the best Spectra line end solution I have found.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline jason_sogolow

• AMA Member
  • New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 11:13:02 AM »
I can't seem to find the "Rules"" section, may I have a link, or further clues how to find it?

Thanks,
Jason
Burbank, CA - AMA 965084 & Valley Circle Burners!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »
Which fish line to use?  That's a really good question.

I went to Gander Mountain a few weeks ago to buy some fish line for binding & reinforcement.  They didn't have what I needed.  When I what I needed, the kid said, "wow, that's reaaaly old.  We haven't had that in a looong time."  I had bought my last roll in 2008.

According to some people who dabble in actual fishing, planned obsolescence is the name of the game in fish line.  They change products a lot faster than AMA changes rules.  But 7-strand stainless steel corecable is a reliable engineering product.
Paul Smith

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 05:02:26 AM »
When using the spider line, how do you terminate it? Do you use the brass eyelets like is done with the braided wire on larger planes, to make the lines removable?  Or do the lines and the handle just get wrapped around the wing when not in use? ;)

Thanks,
Jason

Tie it to line connectors at each end, using the Palomar knot or similar fishing knot so it doesn't slip. 
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here