News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:32:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whazzat?  (Read 911 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Whazzat?
« on: May 20, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »
From the bucket-o-engines.  Looks McCoyish, but that crankcase?!?

So -- anyone know what it is?  Good for parts?  Good engine, if I can mount it?  How is that venturi held in?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Whazzat?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 02:24:39 PM »
        Tim, thats a Testor's engine from the ready to fly plastic models that really never flew. The venturi is press fit in to the back of the case. Give it a good pull and a wiggle and there you will find the reed. Those engines were made in the cast metal and also plastic which was like a reinforced nylon. I did have a few that ran and the crank usually departed first. Ken

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 02:50:50 PM »
It seems to have a good cylinder/piston fit -- I'm thinking that if the cylinder fits my other Testors engines I make just keep it for parts.

Or maybe I'll go to the trouble of making a plywood saddle for it, and go fly it.

So they really made those with plastic crankcases?  Jeesh -- how cheap can you get?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline philip metzner

• chevyiron420
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 04:59:30 PM »
Tim, the glow head, starter parts, needle valve assembly, cylinder \piston will fit your wen-mac mccoy.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 05:58:42 PM »
My "product engine" with metal crankcase was in a space ship looking plane. Here is the standalone Testors 8000 with the "plastic" crankcase. They came with the cylinder mounted to the side.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Victor Jeffreys

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 06:34:47 PM »
For those with the machine shop and engine design skills, it might be possible to redesign crankshaft timing and fuel intake opening using the solid crankshaft and then put it into a FRV Wen-McCoy block.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 08:23:02 PM »
There's an engine design -- the Schroeder "Simple Single" -- out there that uses a Cox cylinder, piston and rod, and goes into a custom crank case with crank, etc.  One could probably adapt it to this one.

http://www.modelenginenews.org/rsch/images/sst-2.jpg

No reason it couldn't be glow.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here