News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:14:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What wood for spars  (Read 759 times)

Offline John Castle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • The Bent Pin
What wood for spars
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:07:52 PM »
I'm just about to start the Zinger II with an .061. The article doesn't say what wood to use for the spars. Should I use Maple, Basswood or Balsa?
http://www.aeromaniacs.com/Zinger.htm

Thanks,
John
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: What wood for spars
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 07:44:08 AM »
       John, using selected balsa for the spars would be more than enough strength for this particular model. I'm not saying that basswood wouldn't work, but its adding unecessary weight. Once the center section of that wing is sheeted it becomes somewhat unitized. Just use the maple for the mounts and only as long as you need them. Generally, even if the plans call for a certain size plywood doubler, I decrease by a 1/32 just to save weight. Anything you can do from selecting light grade wood to sanding to glue application will help this model benefit in its flying characteristics. Ken

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What wood for spars
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 08:09:52 AM »
John,

Welcome aboard!  H^^  Looks like a cool project.  How long have you been into U-control? Keep us posted with pictures as you progress. My limited experance means I am no expert but I agree with Ken that balsa wood will do. Looks like a great airplane Good Luck.  #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here