News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:00:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what type control line?  (Read 887 times)

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
what type control line?
« on: March 08, 2010, 03:34:17 PM »
What are the advantages or disadvantages of the different types and guages of control line?  I've read the best is steel wire although it is easy to kink.  I used the wound (nylon?) spool as a kid but I know it can get heavy.  Any thoughts on the best choice for 1/2@ stunt wing with Cox .049?  How long as well....  40 ft.?
Wilder Eber

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: what type control line?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:50:51 AM »
Do a search on flying lines.  Myself I use .012 cable for 1/2A about 35 to 40 feet in lenth.  Most guys are using what is called Spider Wire, available from your local bait and tackle store, maybe even Wally World.  Maybe Minnesota Modeler will chime in here with the real deal. :)! :)! H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »
For 1/2a I use braided spiderwire -- 20lb test / 8lb diameter.  This means the line is the same diameter as 8lb monofiliment but is as strong as 20lb monofiliment.  Also, the braided line is more flexable than monofiliment.  I usually use a clinch knot or variation of a clinch knot and leave a short tag of line so I can tell if the knot is slipping.  So far no slips.  Some people prefer the Palomar knot.  (google fishing knots and find all sorts of interesting and effective knots)  Some people put a drop of glue on the Knot, but I usually don't. I have used the little spools of thread that used to come with a lot of 1/2a kits and handles, but it is so stretchy it is sort of like using a rubber band.

I usually use 45' lines.  With a slower engine/plane combo 35' may be ok.  With .061 engines, you may need longer lines.

I have no experience with metal lines on 1/2a, but I'm sure it is a good option.

Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 05:44:33 PM »
Myself, i use 30lb. spiderwire. I have been using it for several years, trust me on this, if you are just trying to tie the line to a connector or swivel 3 overhand knots will hold. Yes if you decided to try some fancy smancy knot it may fail, especially if you are trying to tie it in a loop and hold it there without slipping, and i have used palomar knots successfully, but this is 1/2a, i have used and will continue to use 3 overhand knots. By fail i mean slip, 30 lb. spiderwire is way strong and small enough to give feel and feedback on 1/2a's. I use fishing swivels on the end of my lines for 1/2a's  and after 3 overhands and pulled tight i cannot make one slip! As far as line length, it will totally depend on the power output of your engine and size of ship. Mostly on Cox reedies i will use 32 to 35 foot lines. I have a flatwinger that flies very well on 35 foot lines with a medallion .049 and balloon tank. Built up airfoils will do better. I have a "bunch" of norvel powered ships that i fly on 45 to 50 foot lines, depending on the wing shape and weight. I tried .008 steel wire a long time ago and gave up on that idea because of kinks and trouble making good ties to the grommet type ends because the line was so thin. It's kinda like my golf teaching pro told me a few years ago, "find what works for you and do it"!!   y1
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 07:01:29 PM »
thanks guys....very helpful
Wilder Eber

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here