News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:46:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is the Leprechaun Contest and where can I find its rules?  (Read 863 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I There has been reference to a Leprechaun Contest but I have no clue 2where this is held and 2what the rules are.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What is the Leprechaun Contest and where can I find its rules?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 12:40:24 PM »
Leprechaun is a subset of 1cc Aerobatics.  You are allowed up to .061 single engine or .049 twins.  Design is open for 1cc, but to be Leprechaun legal a plane has to be a replica of a Classic or Old Time model.  Scale can be  up, down, or 1:1

Examples of currently legal, available kits are the Baby Clown and Baby Flite Streak, and RSM's Pinto.  There are lots of other designs available such as the Baby Magician I published some years ago and many other 1/2A designs published before the end of 1969.  In addition, you can scale down (or up) any Classic or OT design that tickles your fancy.  I have a Baby Nobler (50% scale down) built by Don Butman, Tim Meek built a 60% scale down of the Midwest P-51 that was superb.  Lee Strickland has a 250 sq.in. version of the Ringmaster that flies great with a .061 (actualluy bigger than the Jr. Ringmaster, but MUCH lighter).

The Wee Duper Zilch, although designed for the Cub .099, would probably be more than adequately powered by an AP Wasp .061.  The DeBolt twin would be fun to do, and could probably be powered with a couple of Black Widows.  We allow "pit stops" so flying with the limited tank duration of a Cox reed engine is not a problem.

Stan Tyler is building a miniature Twin Flite Streak for this year's Palmer Memorial meet.  Twin Tee Dee .049s running pressure.  I just finished the "Tech Terror", a design I published in 1963 for my senior thesis in college (well documented and even with a library date stamp!) (See the separate thread on this model)

We fly the 1cc event at all three contest held by the Knights of the Round Circle in Southern California.  There is the perpetual Pot 'o Gold trophy for the best Leprechaun model presented at the Palmer meet, the other meets just get a plaque.

Of course, any other clubs are welcome to join the fun!  You can store a LOT of 1cc models in the space required for "big" ones, and the cost of materials is pretty low.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:55:21 PM »
So to be a leprechaun it must be old time or classic legal. And then It can be scaled down to to use a typical 049/061 engine. Does construction have to be the same or could it be made to just come out looking the same. ie not using an i-beam but a foam wing or d-tube ?
Also where in southern Ca is this event help. I live in souther ca though it's pretty barren where I am so once I get my plane finished I'll proablly fly from el mirage lake bed.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 10:03:46 PM »
The three-view and airfoil need to be accurate, but the structure is open, as it is in classic and OT flying.  A profile version of a full-body plane or sheet wing version of a built-up plane do not qualify.

Whittier Narrows is just east of central LA at the intersection of the 60 freeway and Rosemead Blvd.  Go to the KOTRC.org website for contest details.  Actually, they may be posted in the competition section of this forum.  If not, I'll see that they are.  Here is the flyer as an attachment.

An interesting thing we discovered as this event evolved is that in order to get "good" judging, we needed to mix our flights in with the "big" guys.  Otherwise, there was a "that's pretty good for a small model" bias.  Judged accurately on the basis of size, bottoms, shape, intersections and smoothness, we can push 500 points.  I think that as the designs and understanding engine performance evolve, we can fly superb patterns in reasonably good air.  Of course the small planes are more suscepable to wind and turbulence than the large models, but otherwise, we need give up nothing in performance.  Usually we now fly mixed in with the intermediate flyers and kick a..s .  They flew in the high 300s and we were in the mid to high 400s.  Of course, that was before the rules change, so with 25 points or more gone, the final scores are yet to be determined.

The bad old days of "He who gets a decent engine run wins" are long gone, thank goodness.  We have learned a lot about how to get both the Cox and modern engines to run through a pattern.  Much about this is available on this website if you search it out.  In a nutshell, Medallions are fantastic as is, but moderate power.  Tee Dees need to run pressure, probably with a fine thread needle from one of the suppliers ( Kirn Kraft, Kustom Kraftsmanship, and now adays Texas Timers).  Both will run large (6x3) props and 25% nitro.

The Norvels and AP Wasp need small props (5x3 Cox, 5.7x3 APC 5.5x2 APC, and the like) and low nitro (10% to 15%).  The Brodak .049 and .061 Mk 1 with the Nelson head run right with the Norvel and AP Wasp with the same requirements.  The Brodak Mk 2 is a mystery as to how to get good performance as a stunt engine.

Sadly, one of the really powerful .061s, the MP Jet, just has escaped our ability to get a really consistent, steady, stunt run.  If anyone has the trick, PLEASE let us know, as it is a powerhouse.

The challenges are very interesting, and it is really a kick to have someone say "I never would have believed seeing a 1/2A go through a whole pattern", especially when you just scored better than they did.... VD~
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:21:58 PM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here