News:

• May 09, 2024, 05:59:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what guage wire for leadouts?  (Read 833 times)

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
what guage wire for leadouts?
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:27:12 PM »
What guage wire should I use for the leadouts on my Combat Kitten build?  I'm having trouble with the bellcrank assembly as there is little room to spare and I cant afford the space for bulky connections or tie offs,  as well as the potential problem of binding.  The intructions say to solder the loop connection at the bellcrank assembly.  Is this reliably strong enough with a thin guage wire?  Any ideas and direction appreciated.  Cheers
Wilder Eber

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: what guage wire for leadouts?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 04:23:29 PM »
It is common the use .018 cable control line for 1/2A leadouts.  You can wrap like shown in the AMA rule book, but use thread rather than wire, and put a drop of CA glue on the thread.  Soldering is not a good idea.

Dwayne

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »
I always keep some old .015 lines around to use as 1/2A leadouts, more than strong enough.

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 05:58:28 PM »
.018's or .015's will work fine. I prefer .015's and crimps with small copper tubing and then covered with 1/8th inch shrink tubing. Another great way to do 1/2a's is solid lead outs, there is a lot less flopping around of the ends to hang up on a rib, you can bend a hook to go in the bellcrank around a pair of needle nose pliers kinda like a fishing swivel.   y1
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 06:13:14 PM »
I didn't like the idea of soldering.  Thanks for the great ideas.  This helps me mucho.  Cheers
Wilder Eber

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here