News:

• May 10, 2024, 12:32:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wasps cause cancer?  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Wasps cause cancer?
« on: May 13, 2008, 12:05:51 AM »
Got a couple new AP Wasp .061 engines from Tower Hobbies today, and found a big label on the box that says the state of California warns people not the eat them!  LL~  ;D  n~

OK, it doesn't state it that way, but I'm wondering why only one state in our great country thinks that the engine contains a chemical that is known to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm?

Not that I'm worried about reproductive problems at my age, but it does seem ludicrous to wash my hands every time I handle one of these engines (as directed by the state of California)!  ::)

All kidding aside, these are very impressive little engines, and even the packaging (box art) is attractive!

Bill
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:25:19 PM by Bill Adair »
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
Re: Wasps cause cancer?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:43:27 AM »
Hahaha, yeah well I think it's prop 63 here in ca. that requires every business with at least 8 employees to have that sign if they have a drinking fountain.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 05:05:55 AM »
Was the "don't eat" sign in all languages or just English?

This could be a plot to get rid of aliens by failing to warn them about eating engines.

Paul Smith

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 03:19:18 PM »
Now thats funny.
Dan

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 06:58:02 PM »
I have wet saw blades and grinders with same warning..... good thing I live in NJ.
AMA 874027

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 12:48:37 PM »
Yeah, it's true, I'm afraid. Fact is, they don't even want us to FLY 'EM in California!

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 08:27:54 PM »
So what's the big deal?  Seems like almost everything made today has a tag that says something in this product is known to cause cancer in California.  So, just stay out of Ca.  Should be safe in any other state of the Union, Possesions, or Territories, or any other country.

I think every major manufacturing company should just tell California that the company is only going to make product that meets Federal Health and Safety Standards, and if California doesn't think that's good enough, the products just won't be sold in Ca.

My Company once did some analysis of our company's customers, calculating how much the cost of meeting special requirements was affecting profits.  Turns out, one of the biggest customers had so many special conditions and requirements, only a few small customers brought in less moneyin spite of providing the largest gross sales.  After some negotiations, they accepted more standardisation.  Seems when one of our more intelligent and gutsy execs suggested they might get a better deal with our only major competitor,  they decided they didn't need to be so fussy and nitpicking.  Our products may be slighly higher in most cases than our comp., but the higher cost is more than offset by generally better quality, dependability, and customer support.
Tony

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »
So what's the big deal?  Seems like almost everything made today has a tag that says something in this product is known to cause cancer in California.  So, just stay out of Ca.  Should be safe in any other state of the Union, Possesions, or Territories, or any other country.

I think every major manufacturing company should just tell California that the company is only going to make product that meets Federal Health and Safety Standards, and if California doesn't think that's good enough, the products just won't be sold in Ca.

My Company once did some analysis of our company's customers, calculating how much the cost of meeting special requirements was affecting profits.  Turns out, one of the biggest customers had so many special conditions and requirements, only a few small customers brought in less moneyin spite of providing the largest gross sales.  After some negotiations, they accepted more standardisation.  Seems when one of our more intelligent and gutsy execs suggested they might get a better deal with our only major competitor,  they decided they didn't need to be so fussy and nitpicking.  Our products may be slighly higher in most cases than our comp., but the higher cost is more than offset by generally better quality, dependability, and customer support.

The problem I have is Kalifornia is most likely causing the packaging cost to go up.  No problem if they pay all the cost but I'm sure the rest of us are paying also.  I don't think the manufacturer is going to eat the extra production cost.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 09:24:38 PM »
PRK (Peoples Republic of Kalifornia) has caused the rest of the nation a lot of expense over the years. Before you shoot me I was born and raised in San Diego and want to go back but the current situation there prevents it.

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 11:47:31 PM »
I lived in San Diego and Orange County. Almost 30 years total. It just got to crazy with over building and traffic. Sure miss the Meca Collectos. They have one here in AZ. but this year it was cancelled due nobody bothered to find a place to hold it. They had it a S/W FF regionals at field but that sucks. I hold out $500.00 for this event and still have the funds.
Dan

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 01:19:36 AM »
We lived in Santa Monica for a few months in the early sixties, while attending a Douglas Aircraft factory school for the Air Force.

I'm not sure who was happiest when we left, the Californians, or us!  H^^

Visited one of the popular flying sites north of LA several times, and think it might have been Mile Square Park? It was right off the Ventura Fwy, if I recall correctly.

Made many short trips to CA for Boeing, and always enjoyed the my time there, but Real estate was out of sight even then!

Bill

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 08:41:18 AM »
The site you refer to is the Sepulveda Dam recreation area.  It not only is still there, it is vastly improved, at least for CL and RC flying.  Free Flight is no longer possible there, but there is a group active in rubber, electric and glider FF at nearby Balboa Lake.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 11:25:40 AM »
Larry,

Thanks for the correction.  H^^

That does look like the area, but it was no more than an open field when we were there in late 62. Now Google Earth shows a great C/L and R/C field there, as you mentioned.

There was lots of FF activity in 62, and early R/C being flown by the more adventurous types. One fellow had a miniature R/C high wing design, powered by a Cox .010, that flew pretty well. I've no idea what R/C system was small enough back then, as I was mostly into FF, and C/L.

Bill

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 08:48:15 AM »
1)  If you look beside entrances to malls in CA, you will see the same warning.  As has been said, according to CA law, EVERYTHING will cause cancer, so why bother to label? :)

2)  Remember CA also defines "Made in the USA" differently than the rest of the country, and one hobby shop in CA, sued several manufacturers over this.  Castle, Losi, and Thunder Power were all sued and had to makes "amends."  That drives up the costs for everyone.  And I will no longer patronize RC-Dymond hobby shop due to these assinine lawsuits.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 06:22:59 PM »
I was born and raised in California. I escaped in 1988, sometime after they changed the politics, if not the spelling, to "Kalifornia." Sometimes I dream of going back, but I can't. I'd be arrested, not on site, but for practicing the freedoms I take for granted in Nevada. Kalifornia is now run by whack-job politicians trying to force their extreme views down the throats of the rest of the country. Too bad, it used to be a great place to live.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here