News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:17:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VA engine run results  (Read 1009 times)

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
VA engine run results
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:32:10 PM »
Out of curiosity, I finally pulled my VA .049 MK II engine off the shelf and out of the box.  Break-in was with 7.5% Nitro, 25% oil (Castor/Synthetic mix).  3 5-minute runs on a 6x2 prop, then switched to 15% Nitro.  Cool, dry, evening weather.  It turns 22,770 steady.   Hmmm, guess I should try the Stehls, too.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: VA engine run results
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:51:15 AM »
          Larry, my instructions for my Stehls twin horn claim that it should be in the 25k area using at least 30% for 10 minutes. Then it says to wait until the black oil stops coming out then switch to 40% . I believe Larry Driskill says to use a 5 1/4 x3 cut down to 4 inches for the VA mk II break in. You want to pay particular attention to the crank fit as I think these engines were also prone to that problem initially. I haven't run mine yet but I'm looking forward to it. The one that were using now is in the 28 k area. I surely wish these were readily available. The other noteable point of interest in that engine is the carrier that houses the shims under the piston. You may want to check that its tight as these also have come loose. SOme suggested Locktite but I believe that didn't help much. I'm sure its just something you should maintenance now and again. Ken

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:06:54 AM »
I put the VA on my older Sky Sport and flew it over the weekend.  When the engine was "on" the plane went like a scalded cat.  The run, however, was extremely erratic, and it is my judgement is that without bladder pressure, it is a hopeless engine for stunt.  If I have to mess with a bladder, I'll haul out my Cyclon and get some SERIOUS performance!  With the reliability and power of the AP Wasps, why put up with the hassle?

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:47:34 AM »
I have 2 of the VAs, don't know if they're I or II, but using pressure they are hot little engines.  They keep up with my Norvel .061s. 

Out of curiosity I tried suction feed, not really expecting much, and sure enough they will run but not reliably on suction alone.  I guess a guy could choke down the venturi and get better results. but it seems a shame to limit a high-performance engine like that when there's so many others available already designed for sport/stunt.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 06:02:16 PM »
Exactly my thoughts.  Give me reliable power and I'll design a competitve plane for it.  If it ain't steady through the pattern every time, fugeddibowdid!   ;D  Why beat myself over the head when I have a combo that works, not only for me, but for everyone else who has tried it?  (AP Wasp/Jan venturi).

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 07:58:01 PM »
I agree with your conclusion in spades. Very nice combo.

I would add:  6x2 prop, 200-250 sq. in. wing, 10-12 oz., 45-48' lines, light wind, compete with the best. On teaspoons of fuel. And an engine that won't amputate if you get careless.  Why aren't there more of us?
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 02:34:09 PM »
       I have yet to run the AP .061. I don't have the Jan venturi as I was going to try and use it box stock. You guys are going to make me try it. I just had lots of success with the Norvel engines. I did have some crash issues that caused some bending and breakage of parts. This can be a little heartbreaking. I was able to search through classifieds and Ebay to replace what I broke. I also have some older AME engines that seemed to be surprisingly bulletproof and reliable. Ken

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here